used to be uno-speedo....

New to San Diego

I just arrived into San Diego and am looking for some rolling tight twisty singletrack thats fast. Are there any trails that exist like that here?
    I rode Elfin Forest which was fun for the initial climb but disappointing once on top. Although the downhill made up for that!
    FWIW I ride a singlespeed and am using a 34/20 gear ratio.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by uno-speedo
    I just arrived into San Diego and am looking for some rolling tight twisty singletrack thats fast. Are there any trails that exist like that here?
    I rode Elfin Forest which was fun for the initial climb but disappointing once on top. Although the downhill made up for that!
    FWIW I ride a singlespeed and am using a 34/20 gear ratio.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks.
    Did you do the whole 6 miles at Elfin? It used to be a great ride but now there is a 100 ft of water in the way. Do you live in North county? the usually suspects are Lake Hodges (mostly flat single track but if you want there are a couple of good climbs in there), Daley ranch, Discovery hills, and Calavaris/flightline.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Try the Lake Morena,Noble Canyon or go up the hill to Big Bear and chairlift all day.Lake Morena fun but not that technical.Noble Canyon fun but very technical on the rock sections will tear you up.Big Bear about3 hrs away and worth it.

Ya, right.
    The newly re-opened singletrack at Los Penasquitos is fun. Not too technical, but really fun with some roller coaster sections. Also, Santa Rosa Plateau in Murrieta is fun with some good sections. Not in SD, but pretty close. Cheers.
    I hope you have a big trunk... 'cuz I'm puttin' my bike in it.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by DSDuke
    The newly re-opened singletrack at Los Penasquitos is fun
    Rode there yesterday and all the singletrack I came upon was closed off to bikers. Where abouts are you talking about?

mtbr member

several ideas

--First: did you climb The Way Up at Mt. Israel with that SS? If so, right on. Mine is geared at 34/18 and I have no interest, whatsoever, in that climb.

--Lake Hodges has some singletrack that is just about perfect for the SS: turny, twisty and with short climbs you can power up. If you use the I-15 trailhead, you get a 17 mile out-n-back loop, with all the cherry singletrack out toward the turn-around point. Watch out: a lot of trail traffic here in the mornings and early evenings...ie on the singletrack.

--Los Pen offers a lot of singletrack, and the stuff that's open to bikes is on the NORTH side of the creek. The few singletracks on the north and all those on the south that are marked closed to us are worth bypassing (seriously, don't ride them right now) in order to get to the good stuff that's open to us. If you get over to the north side of the creek at the 3 mile mark (from either end of the canyon) you'll see a kiosk with some maps on it. Going up from there, to the north, you can ascend Cobblestone singletrack to the mesa (where there are open singletracks not on the maps), or cut back a mile to the east and ascend Telephone Pole/Powerline fire road to the mesa.

From that kiosk mentioned, you can go due west to Bridges singletrack trail, which is short but a fun SS trail, and then west to climb Sidehill singletrack, which is marked with a yellow, multiuse sign at the base where it interesect the doubletrack you'll be riding on. If you ascend Sidehill, you can link into either the singletracks leading back toward the top of Cobblestone, or you can ride the streets to connect to some trails you'll want to find the first time with somebody that knows the area.

There are guys that link together 20+ miles of riding up and around Los Pen, with more than half on singletracks.

Quote Originally Posted by EBasil
    --First: did you climb The Way Up at Mt. Israel with that SS? If so, right on. Mine is geared at 34/18 and I have no interest, whatsoever, in that climb.
    Of course I did...errr sort of! No, in all honesty I stopped about 4 times! Nearer the top its pretty tough.

--Lake Hodges has some singletrack that is just about perfect for the SS: turny, twisty and with short climbs you can power up. If you use the I-15 trailhead, you get a 17 mile out-n-back loop, with all the cherry singletrack out toward the turn-around point. Watch out: a lot of trail traffic here in the mornings and early evenings...ie on the singletrack.
    That sounds like fun its the next one on the list to do.

--Los Pen offers a lot of singletrack, and the stuff that's open to bikes is on the NORTH side of the creek. The few singletracks on the north and all those on the south that are marked closed to us are worth bypassing (seriously, don't ride them right now) in order to get to the good stuff that's open to us. If you get over to the north side of the creek at the 3 mile mark (from either end of the canyon) you'll see a kiosk with some maps on it. Going up from there, to the north, you can ascend Cobblestone singletrack to the mesa (where there are open singletracks not on the maps), or cut back a mile to the east and ascend Telephone Pole/Powerline fire road to the mesa.

From that kiosk mentioned, you can go due west to Bridges singletrack trail, which is short but a fun SS trail, and then west to climb Sidehill singletrack, which is marked with a yellow, multiuse sign at the base where it interesect the doubletrack you'll be riding on. If you ascend Sidehill, you can link into either the singletracks leading back toward the top of Cobblestone, or you can ride the streets to connect to some trails you'll want to find the first time with somebody that knows the area.
    Great explanation. I'll do some more investigating next time around.

Many thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    If you can stick out a 5 mile flat as a pancake ride the Mule Hill trail that starts at Lake Hodges gets pretty good with a good climb, then a fast descent and you can turn around and go back up and descend the previous climb. Lake Hodges or Daley Ranch are probably the best bet for fast single track. I'd stay away from Flightline, if you're not going down, you're going up pretty slowly, you'd have to be one hell of a strong legged single-speeder (not that you're not) to enjoy/make it up some of the climbs

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fantom1
    I'd stay away from Flightline, if you're not going down, you're going up pretty slowly, you'd have to be one hell of a strong legged single-speeder (not that you're not) to enjoy/make it up some of the climbs

Actually, uno-speedo, if you tried to tackle the way up at Elfin, you'll do fine at Flightline - you might actually prefer it since it's virtually all single track and very fun single track at that. It is all up and down, but the longest sustained climb is only about 2 minutes if you are fit. I ride Flightline almost daily during the week at lunch on my ss geared at 34/18. Give it a go.