mtbr member
    Jun 2010

New to Orange County

Hello All,

I have posted a bit in the Norcal forums but a new job has brought me down to the Orange County area. Im 23 years old and just got into mountain biking more seriously a few months ago. Bought a Trance X3 and have been stoked ever since. I used to ride mostly in San Luis Obispo and San Jose but I need to find some trails down in the area and buddies to ride with.

I have seen some of the great websites for trails down in the area but I would be stoked ro meet some people to ride with. Let me know if you would be interested in meeting up to ride midweek after 5 or anytime on the weekends!

Josh

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Hey Josh, welcome to OC. There are a couple of mtb sites for mostly OC rides, etc. CHeck them out. Hope it helps.

www.socaltrailriders.org
    www.singletrackminded.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Welcome to OC Josh. I'm in the OC area as well. There's a local trail near where I live called the Fullerton Loop. It's more XC from what I hear. I'm not sure if it's still going on but there used to be a group that met on Thursday evenings at 5 for that loop.

mtbr member
    Hey Surferbum.

Where are you located? South OC? North OC? Central OC?? By the beach? By the mountains? Give us some details....
    Always preach the Gospel; even if you need to use words.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I actually just got moved in to my new place in Laguna Hills Near La Paz and paseo de valencia.

Rode Whiting (cactus) a few times over the weekend and rode Aliso Woods (Choe sp? to Rocket) yesterday with some guys from the "other" forum ....Always down for rides with new people!

Josh

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I'm Sorry!

mtbr member
    Hey Josh,
    Good riding with you yesterday! We rode Cholla -> Rock-It -> Coyote. I'll be out there Sunday a.m. again so just pm me here or on str and we'll hit some of the other stuff.

Charles

mtbr member
    If you have lights we night ride san quan. Holy jim, san clemente single ttack and the ludge a few nights each week and road bike the others. Most rides are at night due to college and wife

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Hello,

I recently moved back into Cali after being away and would like to go on some night rides. Let me know next time you are riding.

Thanks

mtbr member
    I'll be moving to the OC in the next couple of weeks too. How are the trails through the winter? I know you're getting a lot of rain now, but are they overall rideable most of the time? I'm jacked since I have good lights for night riding, but haven't has much of a chance to use them here in IL/WI.

Thanks and looking forward to not having to wear 3 layers to go riding in January...

-Pete

mtbr member
    Winter is our rainy season but we don't get a lot of it (usually). Most trails are closed for a couple days after rain but there are some that are on decomposed granite where you can ride when wet. More info here: http://www.socaltrailriders.org/foru...in-merged.html

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    lots of great rides on www.geoladders.com
    My wife's website....
    Allison Mann

you said.. Member

The Path

The Path bike shop in Tustin has a Sunday Morning ride every week (except holidays). It is a good way to get to know the local OC trails.

"The Sunday mountain bike trail ride changes location every week, so check back each week for the current ride location. We’ll meet at The Path Bike Shop parking lot, then ride or drive to a trailhead."

http://thepathbikeshop.com/upcoming-events/
    This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is mine.

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    just got back from 4 days at hurkey creek and alvin meadows (idyllwild)--it was pretty cold, but the trails are in great shape and you can ride for hours without seeing anybody.

welcome to the folks new to o.c. pm me if you ever want a tour of any of the local trails. weekends are wide open, and we're still doing a ride on wednesday afternoons.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Also New to OC

Hey everyone, I am also new to the OC. Where is the best place to live for trail access that is within say a 1/2 hour from Irvine?

partsman
    Dec 2007
    Foothill Ranch

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by K2BEASTIN
    Hey everyone, I am also new to the OC. Where is the best place to live for trail access that is within say a 1/2 hour from Irvine?
    For out-your-door access, Foothill Ranch, Rancho Santa Margarita or Ladera Ranch.

Unless, of course, you can afford Laguna Beach.

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by K2BEASTIN
    i'd say irvine is hard to beat for a central location--quick access to the coastal parks (especially nice when it's hot), and it's close to santiago oaks and all the santa ana trails. and lots of bike paths for when it rains. sure, it's a stepford town--but it's a pretty good cycling base camp!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks for the info everyone. Got a place in Irvine. Like the fact I can ride to work, paths everywhere. What are the best shops near Irvine for mtb? Also, do any of them have group rides for freeride/xc?

Flaccid Member
    Gonna be hard pressed to ride the next 7 days in OC with all the rain and trails being shut down.

Those descents!
    Aug 2012
    Hey everyone,
    I know this thread is old, but I just registered here and I'm somewhat new to the area, going to community college in mission viejo. It turns out I live right by Surferbum99 In laguna hills. Im trying to find some people to go riding with since my old buddies are too busy now, so if anyone goes for a ride around the area I'd love to tag along! Thanks!

Attila

mtbr member
    It rained maybe 4 times this past winter. If you know where to ride, you can ride 24/7 rain or shine. There's a trail near my house in San Diego that drains so well, you can ride it while its raining or after a week of solid rain and you won't hit even a patch of mud.