mtbr member
    May 2006

New mountain bike New Rider needs Advise San Diego

Really been wanting to get a bike for a while so I finally picked up a new bike.
    Its a Trek Liquid 25.2005 I know it has recieved mixed reviews but I really like it so far! It is a dual suspension 5" travel bike with spv on both ends! SO SMOOTH! The only riding gear I have so far is a Pair of shorts and a Helmet! I rode to work yesterday 6 miles each way up and down hills and I plan to ride to work 3 or 4 times a week to build endurance. I am 6" 210lbs So I am a overweight.Hopefully riding to work will cure that as well. I really want to get the bike in the dirt but nothing crazy to start. I live really close to sweetwater lake in spring valley. So what do you guys think Where should I go to ride. Is there riding clubs that do rides on the weekends. I read a post ablut a ride from florida st to balboa part is that a hard ride? An info and all tips are appriciated Thansk in advance Tim S

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Tim I live out near Sweetwater reservoir, but on the Chula Vista side. Usually ride it on Sat or Sun. and do other after work rides like Cowles or Mission trails. If you are looking for a weekend ride I think the Performance Bike in Bonita still is a meeting spot for Sunday morning riders that break off into various riding level groups. You may want to check them out.

mtbr member
    Sweetwater can be more of an intermediate level because of the steep up and downs, I'll say try Otay Lakes in Chula Vista, is a nice single track perfect for beginners. Park at the dock and follow the trail along the lake, just don't try to go all the way arond because you'll find out you have to go back the same way from the dam.

ISO Gems...
    This otta help you -- a good breakdown of the rides in San Diego...

D

http://mountainbikebill.com/
    Last edited by Dirty D; 05-19-2006 at 07:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Hey Tim if you want to start out easy, I suggest you ride Lake Hodges north, its in escondido. Its pretty flat. I also suggest the Tricayon aka rose canyon. Those should be 2 good starter rides. Send me a pm and Ill be glad to show you around. Steve

mtbr member
    IMHO, Lake Hodges North and the Big Laguna Trail are the best. Penasquitos canyon offers some decent beginner trails, too. www.mountainbikebill.com has ride descriptions, directions and pictures for all of these trails.

For Lake Hodges, I like to park near Hernandes Hideaway (Mexican Restaraunt). For the BLT, it's easiest to park at Penny Pines. However, there are many options.
    - elivingston

Trail Rider
    You live near a great place to sharpen your skills and build up endurance. Sweetwater has a little bit of everything. There are flat fire roads along the lake and also some fire road climbs up in the hills near the power lines. The fire road near the fishing area is flat. From there you can head east on the trails along the south side of the lake/river. There is singletrack also. You can head east and ride to the old Steele Canyon bridge and turn around and try a few different ways back. It is fun to explore the different terrain and trails. Performance has an organized ride that many beginners ride.

I live in Jamul and have been riding there for about 18 years. It gets hot in the summer, so bring plenty of water. Watch out for Rattlesnakes in the summer (ride early). After big rains, some of the trails(clay) are tough to ride. Once a year there is the frog migration, where there are hundreds of little frogs heading to the river across the trail.
    There is also an old Bobcat that lives up there. I see him a few times a year. There are deer (if you ride early) up in the hills. Also Poison Oak near the bridge end of the ride(along the single track).
    [size=4]Don[/size]

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Wow Thanks to all of you that responded! As of right now I am trying to build some endurance and seat time learning the bike better! I have been riding to work and its getting easier now the first day was hard. But with time I know it will get better! My round trip to work milage is only 10.4 miles but has its ups and downs(HILLS)! SO when I get some more time and tranning in I'll be ready to hit the trail listed above. Looks like I'll be at Sweetwater in a few weekends from now.
    Thanks
    Tim

Rockfish
    Tim,

I live next to Sweetwater Res on the Spring Valley side. There is a trailhead at Jamacha Blvd. and Pointe Parkway to a nice xc trail for beginners. It takes you around the bottom of Centex Homes to the south / southeast, hooking up with the fire road on the north side of Sweetwater River. Follow that east to the bridge, cross over and do the south side towards the tiki hut. Makes for a 16 to 20 mile ride depending on which south side route is taken.

Also, a group rides Spring Canyon at Mission Trails every Tuesday night at 6:30 PM. It's a good nine-mile ride for beginners. You don't need a light this time of year because it's a short ride. Usually 10 to 15 riders, all levels. Call Zumwalt's bike shop (619-582-6440) and ask for Todd regarding details. They leave from the dirt parking lot from within Mission Trails Park at the intersection of Bushy Hill Drive and Father Junipero Serra Trail, less than a quarter mile off of Mission Gorge Road.

-B