Sweetness
    Oct 2007

New to Los Angeles, any trail recommendations?

I just moved to Studio City, north of LA, from the Bay Area. Any singletrack trail recommendations? If anyone knows the trails in Marin County, I rode China Camp and Tamamrancho often and would love something like that down here...

Thanks!

Craig

Gor'n Ridin'!
    Can you describe your home trails so that we can make some suggestions? Have any video of riding them?

EDIT: Ok, I watched some clips on Youtube of both locations. It looks a lot like what we have here, especially the Santa Monica Mtns which is very close to you. Multiple sections of the Backbone Trail system would put a smile on your face. From the videos I watched, I assume you've got decent climbing legs. That's good because there's plenty of climbing here, too.

I'd be happy to show you around and I'm sure there's plenty of other guys here who'd do the same.

mtbr member
    Never ridden China Camp, but I think I have an idea from what I've read. You'll probably enjoy the trails around the Conejo Valley such as Cheeseboro, Sycamore Canyon and Space Mountain (Los Robles). Plenty of maps and such here: Overview of the Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area and Simi Valley
    buzzes like a fridge

mtbr member

Backbone from either Kanan or Encinal, heading west is pretty awesome.

I lived in Studio City right when I was getting into MTB and scoured the place for trails, without much success.

If you're short on time, and I mean really short, you can head up to the Betty Dearing Trail at Fryman and Laurel. It's at least a 20 minute drive (no traffic) to any of the stuff mentioned above, but the BDT is actually in Studio City, and will probably take you all of 30 minutes to ride. Hikers, runners, and dogs abound, but it's a good little hill to push in a tough gear to keep your legs in line if you don't have a ton of time.

Hit us up, Stewie - I'm sure one of us will be around to show you what we've got. I'll have more time in a week or so.
    Last edited by kragu; 07-09-2013 at 08:32 AM.

Sweetness
    Oct 2007
    I got a GoPro for Christmas and here is the only MTB video I've done so far from China Camp. The first 1:45 is some climbing, then a fun downhill following the ridge line.

https://vimeo.com/m/62097038

Sweetness
    Oct 2007
    Thank you guys for the recommendations, I'm going to try to hit up Backbone over the weekend.

mtbr member

Looks pretty similar to Backbone. Cool trail!

Here are two I'd recommend if you're doing Backbone:

All single track -
    https://www.strava.com/activities/51447848

Single track, fire road, single track -
    https://www.strava.com/activities/41449110

You can combine the two for a pretty long ride, if you want. As it is, these two rides overlap a bit between Encinal Rd. and Mullholland.

You can also drive the other direction to JPL in Altadena - climb Brown Mtn. and come down through El Prieto, if you like somewhat techy ST.

Sweetness
    Oct 2007
    Awesome, thanks for the Strava links. Is the first ride (Backbone - Kanan/Mulholland Singletrack) 6 miles out and 6 miles back or is it 12 miles one way? Where can I find the trailhead?

mtbr member

6 in, 6 out. The other one is 12 and 12 or so.

Hop on the 101 north, get off at Kanan, make a left toward the beach. You'll pass thru two tunnels, and just before the 3rd, there will be a lot of your right. If all else fails, I'm sure a "Kanan/Backbone trailhead" google search will get you to the right spot.

mtbr member
    After backbone, I recommend hitting this place for lunch
    Rustic Canyon General Store & Grill - Agoura, CA
    buzzes like a fridge

mtbr member

I must have driven past that place 1000 times in my lifetime. Never thought to stop. What's good there?

Safety third
    Jun 2010
    Also, make sure that you get down to OC for some cool coastal trails in Laguna Coast/El Moro State Park (but get a guide for the best routes), and the San Juan Trail is a classic.

And head up to the mountains: Santa Ana River Trail has tons of fun s/t, and Idyllwild has a great mix of trails (hit up the Hub Cyclery for maps/info). And drive up to Kernville for the Cannell Plunge and Just Outstanding.

Then take a road trip to Santa Cruz, and I'll convince you to move back (have you ever ridden the Sweetness trail in UCSC?)!
    Friends don't let friends ride e-"bikes". Just say eff no.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The Santa Monica mountains are ok for "maintenance" rides--I used to ride there quite a bit when I lived on the west side of LA. (You might also exploit the SM's for road riding--some of canyon descents in Malibu and Topanga are world class.)

Being in Studio City, however, you're not far from the San Gabriel Mountains, which offer far, far more in terms of remoteness, elevation, and variety.

Sweetness
    Oct 2007
    Any opinions on the La Tuna Canyon Loop?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Chantry flats and Merrill's/el prieto!

mtbr member
    Burger's a tri tip are perfect post ride.
    buzzes like a fridge

Gor'n Ridin'!
    Quote Originally Posted by scvkurt03 View Post
    I must have driven past that place 1000 times in my lifetime. Never thought to stop. What's good there?
    Several things on the menu are really good and there's usually some incredible scenery there to gawk at.

Gor'n Ridin'!
    Quote Originally Posted by CFStewie View Post
    Any opinions on the La Tuna Canyon Loop?
    Nothing special. Far better stuff in every direction from there. I live within sight of La Tuna. In fact, I can see it out my window now. I'd consider this loop more of a workout ride. That's what I use it for.

There is some fun but short little sections of single track in nearby Cherry Canyon. Look for it on GeoLadders.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Agree--nothing special. Ok for an extented lunchtime ride I suppose. (Just don't leave anything visible in your car, as the parking area is notorious for break-ins.) The Sam Merrill->Echo Mountain->Sunset Trail->El Prieto ride is much better and just as accessible.

Some great trails include those in the Mt. Wilson vicinity (Kenyon Devore, Sturtevant, Valley Forge, Winter Creek, Wilson Trail, Gabrieleno Trail, Idlehour), and a little further out you can explore Silver Moccassin and Mt. Waterman.

Above Crystal Lake, there's some incredible Sierra-like high-country terrain (up from Crystal Lake to Windy Gap to Mt. Islip)

We're still living with the aftermath of the Station Fire, but you can also look forward to Strawberry Peak and Bear Canyon re-opening (someday).

Really, there's a lifetime of great riding in the Gabes!

Gor'n Ridin'!
    Speaking of Strawberry Peak, does anyone know for sure that this trail system will open again in the future?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I live in Sherman Oaks, and annually, a group of friends and I (from both Norcal and SoCal) meet up for a long weekend ride in the Bay Area (UC Santa Cruz, Demo, Tamarancho) and all of those trails are NOTHING like you will find down here. Its almost all dry, exposed conditions in the Socal deserts, where one fall will leave scars or worse.

The closest thing to the trails up north would probably be the El Prieto trail and SART. El Prieto is not far from the valley and is a fun techy single track downhill, where a fail in the wrong direction should be avoided. SART is an all day affair, since it's about a 2hr drive toward the San Bernardino Mountains from here.

We normally do a loop from Reseda-down Sullivan Canyon, back up to Westridge and finish off up to the Hub ~20mi 3kft. Look up local rides on Strava.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Strawberry Peak:

"The Angeles Forest is full of hidden waterfalls and incredible peaks, said Edward Belden of the National Forest Foundation (NFF), but no one has been able to see some of them in years because trails have become “unusable” ... Belden said they will be focusing efforts on popular trails including Trail Canyon, Grizzly Flat, Condor Peak and Strawberry Peak. Repair work includes putting in drainage to help control future erosion and trimming vegetation around the trails to make a path that's easier to maneuver."

Up to 30 miles of popular hiking trails to be restored in Angeles Forest | 89.3 KPCC

29er for the Soul
    Overview of the Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area and Simi Valley

My favorites, Cheseboro, Wildwood Canyon(ride from the LMU sign into the canyon), Sycamore Canyon,

cheers
    So Cal Rod

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I moved to socal about 5 months ago from the Bay area and have ridden china camp and tamarancho, so I know what your looking for. Socal does not have much in the way of those trails. Since I have been here I do a lot of short rides at cherry canyon which is decent fun, I have ridden down at whiting ranch in OC which is probably one of the better rides I have been on since being in socal. The thing in socal is there is a lot of exposure and it is very dusty and slippery. There are some jewels out there, El prieto was fun but the last section was a little too tech for my taste but was fun I admit. if you like jumps and stuff check out a place called Hulda Crooks, its far but its like a mini bike park without the lifts. Lastly you can also check out Glendora Mountain road. There is a great shuttle service up there , that will for a small fee take you to the top and you can ride down on a few different trails. I took the longest which was a 8 mile mostly single track down. Worth trying out once.

29ing my Kingdom
    Jun 2013
    Kabob King and others,

The riding up in the Cheseboro sounds like its much more tame and you don't have the exposure of the some of the San Gabriel trails. I did El Prieto a little over a month ago, fun but short. Having only ridden El Prieto and a neighboring trail along with reading trail descriptions, the trails in that area seem to be steep and do have the exposure. If you can, come up to Cheseboro. Ahmanson Ranch(Upper Las Virgenes Open Space Reserve) which has fast flowing single tracks, but you need to know where they are to have fun.

I was out in Cheseboro there two days ago riding very early at 7:00 a.m., and the ruts are getting smoothed out on Sheep Corral as you ride down from the top of Bones. It was a nice zoom down from the top of Bones via Sulphur Springs down to to the first bend on Cheseboro (paved) road where I started. It's so nice on a weekday. No one on the trail early.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by King Ahmanson View Post
    Kabob King and others,

The riding up in the Cheseboro sounds like its much more tame and you don't have the exposure of the some of the San Gabriel trails. I did El Prieto a little over a month ago, fun but short. Having only ridden El Prieto and a neighboring trail along with reading trail descriptions, the trails in that area seem to be steep and do have the exposure. If you can, come up to Cheseboro. Ahmanson Ranch(Upper Las Virgenes Open Space Reserve) which has fast flowing single tracks, but you need to know where they are to have fun.

I was out in Cheseboro there two days ago riding very early at 7:00 a.m., and the ruts are getting smoothed out on Sheep Corral as you ride down from the top of Bones. It was a nice zoom down from the top of Bones via Sulphur Springs down to to the first bend on Cheseboro (paved) road where I started. It's so nice on a weekday. No one on the trail early.

Cheers
    I could ride gas pipe at Cheseboro all day long.

Gor'n Ridin'!
    Quote Originally Posted by stencil View Post
    I could ride gas pipe at Cheseboro all day long.
    Up and down, over and over?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Up and down, over and over?
    Well, kinda. But I also like to work my way up through pump hill, the flats, and get tortured by the wall.

Gor'n Ridin'!
    Quote Originally Posted by stencil View Post
    Well, kinda. But I also like to work my way up through pump hill, the flats, and get tortured by the wall.
    The wall isn't bad at all. It hurts Goooood!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    The wall isn't bad at all. It hurts Goooood!
    I love the wall! Up on the left, cross over to the right, attack the rut!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Cool-blue Rhythm

A couple of years ago, after doing a lot of individual rides on a variety of trails in the Santa Monicas between the 405 and Zuma, I decided that some of these could be strung together with a minimum of pavement connections. So I set about planning out the details of a sort-of direct route for this longish xc ride from Brentwood to Malibu. To do this I mumbled to myself (works to get the visual imagery going) and looked at some online resources. The result took me all day and half the night, but it was worth it. The route I chose used fire roads, some single track and roads for a total of about 65 miles of riding. I heard later that parts of this route were used for the Reseda to the Sea non-race.
    It is a little tough to get good info on current closures and what trails permit bikes (the backbone in SMMNRA especially) You might check the socalmtb.com site for trail reports and a massive inventory of starting points. Ordinarily I sketch out the routes by Google Earth (and mumble). A condensed version of my route: Started at the Sullivan Canyon trailhead at the end of Queensferry Road in the Mandeville Canyon area above Brentwood. Up Sullivan to the Nike base, west on dirt Mulholland, cut over to the Hub, down the steeps of Cheney Trail, land in Topanga (bike shop & market here), then by Old Topanga road to Red Rocks Canyon, over the saddle to the highway, west to Malibu Creek SP, singletrack to the MASH set, and end up on Kanan-Dume road, there is a snack bar at the junction. Ride over the saddle to PCH. It will be around 65 miles if you ride back to Brentwood by streets as I did. You can always bail on the Metro 534 bus at the K-D and PCH junction. Note: Those shoulders and turnouts along Kanan-Dume that invite high-speed carving on the way down KD I found have something like trillion and a half thorns - avoid!

You might want to pick up a commercial topographic map of the Santa Monicas (not usgs) with trails marked. This trip rewards the determined rider many different parts of LA's coastal mtns as it snakes thru both settlements and semi-wild areas. It's not a bad workout either. Unlike some out and return or local loops you will definitely feel you've been somewhere, maybe accomplished something - including some route-finding to find trailheads, connections, etc. I rode it on a conventional 3x9 11-34 setup and did not have to get off and push it uphill at any point. There are side trips possible to Parker Mesa from the Hub and the steeps up Calabasas Peak from Red Rocks. If anyone has done the CP trail on a single speeder with both feet up, well uh great. Anyways if you need bailout points there is Topanga Canyon (either n or s) or go north from Malibu Creek to Agoura Hills to get the Metro 161 bus. This probably non-loop trip is best done when its cool outside, xlnt brakes required. Plan your water stops and be as flat-proof as possible.
    Last edited by P917mulsanneF512; 11-11-2013 at 01:10 PM.

Sweetness
    Oct 2007
    Thanks P917, that sounds like an amazing ride but I'm not sure I have the time (or fitness) for that ride... (I've got two little kiddos, getting out for an hour or two on a Sat morning is more realistic for me).

I did an after work ride from the house this week through Wilacre/Fryman park and up the fireroad and down Upper and Lower Baja. It wasnt an amazing ride but it felt good to get out and spin the wheels after sitting at my desk all day. I'm going to check out Backbone this weekend.

Thanks everyone for your recommendations, I've really enjoyed learning about all of the options around here.

Sweetness
    Oct 2007
    I havent done the Sweetness trail, the only one I've done in Santa Cruz is Soquel Demo Forest off of Skyline Drive.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I scanned this thread and didn't see anyone mention it, but this book, which came out late last year and is written by several well-known (and liked) folks in the SoCal MTB community, is really good, and lists a lot of the best trails in the LA area: Where to Bike Los Angeles Mountain Biking: Best Mountain Biking around Los Angeles: Steve Messer, Jim Hasenauer, Mark Langton: 9780987168672: Amazon.com: Books

I agree that you should spend some time checking out the Angeles NF / San Gabriel Mountains.

Regarding the La Tuna loop, I think it's definitely worth doing at least once but, for me, it's got a bit too much climbing for the payoff descent, and I really dislike the road ride.

Sweetness
    Oct 2007
    I made a short video of my ride yesterday morning in Studio City. It's a short trail, but with a few loops I can get a 10 mile workout in before the day starts right out of the driveway, which is always nice. I went up the Fryman Park fire road hill, then down Upper Baja, Lower Baja and the White Fence Downhill.

mtbr member
    Awesome, dude! Hit me up if you want to ride on a late afternoon or early evening. I'm pretty close by.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    im down for any weekend rides! I live in Palmdale but definitely willing to drive to meet other MTB riders

Clueless genius
    Feb 2011
    Tapia Canyon in Castaic is fantastic! About a 30-40 minute drive up the 405 N to the 5 N. Lots of fantastic XC loops that are next to impossible to get lost in, and easy to loop together to get plenty of downhill for your climbing! Cherry Canyon in the La Crescenta area is pretty good too, it's near Descanso Gardens. For a real epic ride, and a bit of a drive (about an hour or so), try Mt. Pinos in Frasier Park. A little under 10 miles of climbing, but none of it is TOO hard (apart from the high altitude you feel, the peak is around 8000 feet!), but it is VERY worth it!
    2014 Felt Compulsion LT3
    2009 GT Sanction 2.0
    1994 Cannondale M400

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Spykr View Post
    Tapia Canyon in Castaic is fantastic! About a 30-40 minute drive up the 405 N to the 5 N. Lots of fantastic XC loops that are next to impossible to get lost in, and easy to loop together to get plenty of downhill for your climbing! Cherry Canyon in the La Crescenta area is pretty good too, it's near Descanso Gardens. For a real epic ride, and a bit of a drive (about an hour or so), try Mt. Pinos in Frasier Park. A little under 10 miles of climbing, but none of it is TOO hard (apart from the high altitude you feel, the peak is around 8000 feet!), but it is VERY worth it!
    how often do you go to Tapia Canyon?

Clueless genius
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 3r_1c View Post
    how often do you go to Tapia Canyon?
    I actually moved up to Canada for schooling, but when I was back home, I would go to Tapia once a week or so!
    2014 Felt Compulsion LT3
    2009 GT Sanction 2.0
    1994 Cannondale M400

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Tapia is a lot of fun. I recently went since I just found out its only 5 miles away from me!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Spykr View Post
    I actually moved up to Canada for schooling, but when I was back home, I would go to Tapia once a week or so!
    Ahhh damn! id definitely would like to go there!

Quote Originally Posted by mr2turbo200 View Post
    Tapia is a lot of fun. I recently went since I just found out its only 5 miles away from me!
    hey if youre up to going for a ride this weekend let me know!

Clueless genius
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 3r_1c View Post
    Ahhh damn! id definitely would like to go there!
    BC's shown some real fun stuff so far, but I gotta say, I do miss the rocky trails, and big climbs of the San Gabriels! And not having to clean mud off my bike so often!
    2014 Felt Compulsion LT3
    2009 GT Sanction 2.0
    1994 Cannondale M400

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I made a short video of my ride yesterday morning in Studio City. It's a short trail, but with a few loops I can get a 10 mile workout in before the day starts right out of the driveway, which is always nice. I went up the Fryman Park fire road hill, then down Upper Baja, Lower Baja and the White Fence Downhill.

Are these trails open to mountain bikers? I live nearby and would love to ride them (especially before work) but I get mixed info on whether bikes are allowed or not.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Just want to keep this thread growing. I've been in Los Angeles my whole life but am new to mountain biking.

So far the best trail I have ridden is the Backbone Trail in Santa Monica Mtns. So many places to start and finish. You Tube has been my friend on checking out new trails as everyone loves to post their videos filmed with Go Pro's so you can actually see what your getting into before making the drive.

I really love the ride starting at Kanan Rd. to Zuma Ridge.

here is a link with a map in the beginning:Backbone Trail - Kanan Rd to Zuma Ridge Mtwy - YouTube

mtbr member
    My fav area is Rocky Peak. Mostly because it's along my commute and about 10 min from my house, but it has a lot to offer. Long fire road climbs, steep smooth single track climbs, tech climbs, plenty of vertical, a good flow trail, steep technical descents, fast enduro-style tracks, and generally not at all crowded. Rides from 5 mile out and backs to 25 mile 4-5 hour affairs. PM me if you want any info...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Hey dude, I just moved to Studio as well. If you ever need a riding partner let me know. I try to ride at least once/twice a week.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fourtoone View Post
    Are these trails open to mountain bikers? I live nearby and would love to ride them (especially before work) but I get mixed info on whether bikes are allowed or not.
    They are for the most part. Please just don't ride like a dick. Lots of trail skidders and illegal building lately. You can put together a surprisingly good loop together in SS.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I just moved to Studio City, north of LA, from the Bay Area. Any singletrack trail recommendations? If anyone knows the trails in Marin County, I rode China Camp and Tamamrancho often and would love something like that down here...

Thanks!

Craig
    Check you PM inbox........