Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Sweetness
    Oct 2007

New to Los Angeles, any trail recommendations?

I just moved to Studio City, north of LA, from the Bay Area. Any singletrack trail recommendations? If anyone knows the trails in Marin County, I rode China Camp and Tamamrancho often and would love something like that down here...

Thanks!

Craig

King of Middle Earth
    Can you describe your home trails so that we can make some suggestions? Have any video of riding them?

EDIT: Ok, I watched some clips on Youtube of both locations. It looks a lot like what we have here, especially the Santa Monica Mtns which is very close to you. Multiple sections of the Backbone Trail system would put a smile on your face. From the videos I watched, I assume you've got decent climbing legs. That's good because there's plenty of climbing here, too.

I'd be happy to show you around and I'm sure there's plenty of other guys here who'd do the same.
    fee-fy-fo-fum...

mtbr member
    Never ridden China Camp, but I think I have an idea from what I've read. You'll probably enjoy the trails around the Conejo Valley such as Cheeseboro, Sycamore Canyon and Space Mountain (Los Robles). Plenty of maps and such here: Overview of the Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area and Simi Valley
    definite malingerer

mtbr member

Backbone from either Kanan or Encinal, heading west is pretty awesome.

I lived in Studio City right when I was getting into MTB and scoured the place for trails, without much success.

If you're short on time, and I mean really short, you can head up to the Betty Dearing Trail at Fryman and Laurel. It's at least a 20 minute drive (no traffic) to any of the stuff mentioned above, but the BDT is actually in Studio City, and will probably take you all of 30 minutes to ride. Hikers, runners, and dogs abound, but it's a good little hill to push in a tough gear to keep your legs in line if you don't have a ton of time.

Hit us up, Stewie - I'm sure one of us will be around to show you what we've got. I'll have more time in a week or so.
    Last edited by kragu; 07-09-2013 at 08:32 AM.

Sweetness
    Oct 2007
    I got a GoPro for Christmas and here is the only MTB video I've done so far from China Camp. The first 1:45 is some climbing, then a fun downhill following the ridge line.

https://vimeo.com/m/62097038

Sweetness
    Oct 2007
    Thank you guys for the recommendations, I'm going to try to hit up Backbone over the weekend.

mtbr member

Looks pretty similar to Backbone. Cool trail!

Here are two I'd recommend if you're doing Backbone:

All single track -
    https://www.strava.com/activities/51447848

Single track, fire road, single track -
    https://www.strava.com/activities/41449110

You can combine the two for a pretty long ride, if you want. As it is, these two rides overlap a bit between Encinal Rd. and Mullholland.

You can also drive the other direction to JPL in Altadena - climb Brown Mtn. and come down through El Prieto, if you like somewhat techy ST.

Sweetness
    Oct 2007
    Awesome, thanks for the Strava links. Is the first ride (Backbone - Kanan/Mulholland Singletrack) 6 miles out and 6 miles back or is it 12 miles one way? Where can I find the trailhead?

mtbr member

6 in, 6 out. The other one is 12 and 12 or so.

Hop on the 101 north, get off at Kanan, make a left toward the beach. You'll pass thru two tunnels, and just before the 3rd, there will be a lot of your right. If all else fails, I'm sure a "Kanan/Backbone trailhead" google search will get you to the right spot.

mtbr member
    After backbone, I recommend hitting this place for lunch
    Rustic Canyon General Store & Grill - Agoura, CA
    definite malingerer

mtbr member

I must have driven past that place 1000 times in my lifetime. Never thought to stop. What's good there?

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    Also, make sure that you get down to OC for some cool coastal trails in Laguna Coast/El Moro State Park (but get a guide for the best routes), and the San Juan Trail is a classic.

And head up to the mountains: Santa Ana River Trail has tons of fun s/t, and Idyllwild has a great mix of trails (hit up the Hub Cyclery for maps/info). And drive up to Kernville for the Cannell Plunge and Just Outstanding.

Then take a road trip to Santa Cruz, and I'll convince you to move back (have you ever ridden the Sweetness trail in UCSC?)!
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The Santa Monica mountains are ok for "maintenance" rides--I used to ride there quite a bit when I lived on the west side of LA. (You might also exploit the SM's for road riding--some of canyon descents in Malibu and Topanga are world class.)

Being in Studio City, however, you're not far from the San Gabriel Mountains, which offer far, far more in terms of remoteness, elevation, and variety.

Sweetness
    Oct 2007
    Any opinions on the La Tuna Canyon Loop?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Chantry flats and Merrill's/el prieto!

mtbr member
    Burger's a tri tip are perfect post ride.
    definite malingerer

King of Middle Earth
    Quote Originally Posted by scvkurt03 View Post
    I must have driven past that place 1000 times in my lifetime. Never thought to stop. What's good there?
    Several things on the menu are really good and there's usually some incredible scenery there to gawk at.
    fee-fy-fo-fum...

King of Middle Earth
    Quote Originally Posted by CFStewie View Post
    Any opinions on the La Tuna Canyon Loop?
    Nothing special. Far better stuff in every direction from there. I live within sight of La Tuna. In fact, I can see it out my window now. I'd consider this loop more of a workout ride. That's what I use it for.

There is some fun but short little sections of single track in nearby Cherry Canyon. Look for it on GeoLadders.
    fee-fy-fo-fum...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Agree--nothing special. Ok for an extented lunchtime ride I suppose. (Just don't leave anything visible in your car, as the parking area is notorious for break-ins.) The Sam Merrill->Echo Mountain->Sunset Trail->El Prieto ride is much better and just as accessible.

Some great trails include those in the Mt. Wilson vicinity (Kenyon Devore, Sturtevant, Valley Forge, Winter Creek, Wilson Trail, Gabrieleno Trail, Idlehour), and a little further out you can explore Silver Moccassin and Mt. Waterman.

Above Crystal Lake, there's some incredible Sierra-like high-country terrain (up from Crystal Lake to Windy Gap to Mt. Islip)

We're still living with the aftermath of the Station Fire, but you can also look forward to Strawberry Peak and Bear Canyon re-opening (someday).

Really, there's a lifetime of great riding in the Gabes!

King of Middle Earth
    Speaking of Strawberry Peak, does anyone know for sure that this trail system will open again in the future?
    fee-fy-fo-fum...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I live in Sherman Oaks, and annually, a group of friends and I (from both Norcal and SoCal) meet up for a long weekend ride in the Bay Area (UC Santa Cruz, Demo, Tamarancho) and all of those trails are NOTHING like you will find down here. Its almost all dry, exposed conditions in the Socal deserts, where one fall will leave scars or worse.

The closest thing to the trails up north would probably be the El Prieto trail and SART. El Prieto is not far from the valley and is a fun techy single track downhill, where a fail in the wrong direction should be avoided. SART is an all day affair, since it's about a 2hr drive toward the San Bernardino Mountains from here.

We normally do a loop from Reseda-down Sullivan Canyon, back up to Westridge and finish off up to the Hub ~20mi 3kft. Look up local rides on Strava.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Strawberry Peak:

"The Angeles Forest is full of hidden waterfalls and incredible peaks, said Edward Belden of the National Forest Foundation (NFF), but no one has been able to see some of them in years because trails have become “unusable” ... Belden said they will be focusing efforts on popular trails including Trail Canyon, Grizzly Flat, Condor Peak and Strawberry Peak. Repair work includes putting in drainage to help control future erosion and trimming vegetation around the trails to make a path that's easier to maneuver."

Up to 30 miles of popular hiking trails to be restored in Angeles Forest | 89.3 KPCC

29er for the Soul
    Overview of the Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area and Simi Valley

My favorites, Cheseboro, Wildwood Canyon(ride from the LMU sign into the canyon), Sycamore Canyon,

cheers
    So Cal Rod

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I moved to socal about 5 months ago from the Bay area and have ridden china camp and tamarancho, so I know what your looking for. Socal does not have much in the way of those trails. Since I have been here I do a lot of short rides at cherry canyon which is decent fun, I have ridden down at whiting ranch in OC which is probably one of the better rides I have been on since being in socal. The thing in socal is there is a lot of exposure and it is very dusty and slippery. There are some jewels out there, El prieto was fun but the last section was a little too tech for my taste but was fun I admit. if you like jumps and stuff check out a place called Hulda Crooks, its far but its like a mini bike park without the lifts. Lastly you can also check out Glendora Mountain road. There is a great shuttle service up there , that will for a small fee take you to the top and you can ride down on a few different trails. I took the longest which was a 8 mile mostly single track down. Worth trying out once.

29ing my Kingdom
    Jun 2013
    Kabob King and others,

The riding up in the Cheseboro sounds like its much more tame and you don't have the exposure of the some of the San Gabriel trails. I did El Prieto a little over a month ago, fun but short. Having only ridden El Prieto and a neighboring trail along with reading trail descriptions, the trails in that area seem to be steep and do have the exposure. If you can, come up to Cheseboro. Ahmanson Ranch(Upper Las Virgenes Open Space Reserve) which has fast flowing single tracks, but you need to know where they are to have fun.

I was out in Cheseboro there two days ago riding very early at 7:00 a.m., and the ruts are getting smoothed out on Sheep Corral as you ride down from the top of Bones. It was a nice zoom down from the top of Bones via Sulphur Springs down to to the first bend on Cheseboro (paved) road where I started. It's so nice on a weekday. No one on the trail early.

Cheers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast