Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

New Green Trail At Snow Summit -- comments to forest service needed.

20K views 198 replies 49 participants last post by  Fastline 
#1 ·
#34 ·
I guess I am not understanding why you are blaming Mammoth for this. Tbey just bough SS and Bear Mtn at the end of 2014.

"Because they promised"? That is the basis for your grudge? Surely you have been involved in a trail planning process before? It is a long war, not a simple and quick skirmish. Every year a new environmental law is introduced making the review process that much more involved. Curious how you feel the process has gotten easier. Every processes I have worked through has only become more and more cumbersome.

#37 ·
All you have to do is look how hard it is getting the green trail built to see some of the hoops that SS has to jump through. Believe me, everyone I know at SS, the local riders and some of the general public would love to have tons of trails up here, but the FS requirements are downright ridiculous.
As far as area is concerned, if the SS/Mammoth people had it their way, they would develop both SS/ Bear Mtn, as well as some surrounding areas, they could have tons of trails, just ride up the Bear Mtn service road off of Radford and you'll see what I mean.
I work with the Big Bear Trails Foundation, to build trails, believe me, its a frustrating task to get the smallest approval from the FS.
If you don't know the truth, please quit knocking whats happening up here, if you don't like what we have, head up north or out of state.

#42 ·
Listening to your fricken stupid, un educated posts just reminds me of the saying " you can't argue wth ignorance". You know nothing how these trails or any trails get built and the process behind it.
No one really cares if you come up here to ride. Go shuttle some trails, or hop in your car and drive a minimum of 5 hours, no one really cares. Or learn to ride xc and earn your dh's, again, no one really cares about your rants!
Btw...I rarely ride in the park, but trail building and permits granted by the FS is all the same process.

#44 ·
No one really cares if you come up here to ride. Go shuttle some trails, or hop in your car and drive a minimum of 5 hours, no one really cares. Or learn to ride xc and earn your dh's, again, no one really cares about your rants!
I suspect that the business owners and the people counting up our money that they failed to earn at the end of the season may care.

#47 ·
I did see them installing the bike carriers, but didnt notice how many bikes they carry.
Im sorry to all if I come off harsh on my posts, but all the negitive rants are somewhat unfounded, if SS were allowed to build as many trails as they wanted, why wouldnt they? Its not really that costly to build them, but the rewards of more riders would certainly make up for any cash outlay. The real reason is with either getting the permits or the delay in getting them from the FS.
I heard last year the reason the green trail did not get built was because of a technically where SS was allowed to build the trails, but some were too wide and it cut into the square footage of allowable trails, seriously, the FS gave the builders square footage, not length of trail to work with, thetherefore, the green trail would have exceeded the amount of square footage.
As some mentioned about SS being mediocre, compared to other parks it is, but for now, its the only lift serviced bike park within 3 hours of 30,000,000 people.

#61 ·
mojoronnie, you probably wonder why there are trail closures and access to new trails, its people like you that have no common sense that gets us in trouble.....so if a hiker is hiking up with his family, he should use common sense too I guess.
I love going fast downhill, and usually kick arse on those "totally rad, Gopro wearing posers" which sound like your part of, except I ride responsibly.
Please do all the riders up here a favor, don't ride in Big Bear!

#62 ·
If a family is hiking up I'll always slow down. If its one or two adult hikers they can move off to the side for riders coming down. Nothing wrong with that. I ride in Bear all the time and never have had any issues. "usually kick arse on posers?" lol thats awesome. that means some go pro posers kick arse on you! Guys that are fast don't brag... they're just fast. I'd love to ride dh with you... that would be fun stuff! lol

#63 ·
I couldnt say I'd would like to ride dh with you, because if someone is riding up a single track that im riding down, I would yeild and you would probably ram into me.
I guess id know who you are when I see someone who doesnt yeild...fortunately havent had that problem much.

#67 ·
the key word is "shouldn't" however there will always be rules or guidelines otherwise trails will get abused and be closed down. One persons viewpoint on common sense is different from the next, however rules or guidelines provide definition and essential for almost anything open to the public.

Its kinda sad to see all the arguing in the thread, however it is the interwebz and people are all google experts. I am fairly a noob when it comes to MTB'ing super technical trails, but I am awesome at having fun out on the trails. Thats what it all comes down to. Respect the trails, respect the trail guidelines, and respect the fellow trail users and we will be able to enjoy the same trail generations to come.

#68 ·
the key word is "shouldn't" however there will always be rules or guidelines otherwise trails will get abused and be closed down. One persons viewpoint on common sense is different from the next, however rules or guidelines provide definition and essential for almost anything open to the public.

Its kinda sad to see all the arguing in the thread, however it is the interwebz and people are all google experts. I am fairly a noob when it comes to MTB'ing super technical trails, but I am awesome at having fun out on the trails. Thats what it all comes down to. Respect the trails, respect the trail guidelines, and respect the fellow trail users and we will be able to enjoy the same trail generations to come.
You just hit the nail on the head... "respect the fellow trail users". That being the most critical. We all use the trails in different ways. Problem is there seems to be a general dislike from one group to another. Hikers don't care for Bikers. Bikers don't care for hikers, Horse people don't seem to like anyone on their trails. Xc riders don't like DH riders. Dh don't like XC, Baggy shorts vs Spandex riders, theres just always a problem with someone. Each group feeling more entitled than the other. Just go do your thing and when crossing paths use some common sense. If that would happen, we all could go do our thing problem free.

#75 ·
No, not at all.
Uphill drivers, uphill hikers and uphill bikers all have the right of way, thats what makes sense. Wouldnt you agree that it is easier to get started again going downhill?, instead of trying to click into your pedals while trying to stay upright and finding traction. So no, I'm not saying I'm always right, but in this post, which had nothing to do with a right of way issue originally, I am right, and to your comment about losing access to disrespectful mountain bikers, it has and does happen.

#76 ·
I think every situation is different. Not every situation is black and white. There is a lot of grey area. I've ridden up hill and supposedly had the right of way when DH riders were coming down, I always accommodate the DH riders when possible because, they're going faster, its harder for them to stop in some instances than for me to pull over and lastly because everyone has fun when riding downhill and I don't want to spoil their fun. There are very few sections of trail that are difficult to restart on. If I'm riding dh and come along a rider on a tough climbing section, of course I'll give him the right of way, just as If I'm riding down something loose n steep I would hope a rider climbing up would give me the same courtesy.

Horse people may be the most disrespectful folks I've ever met out on the trails, Their sense of entitlement is repulsive, they'll go riding after a rain and absolutely trash our trails, but have you ever heard of a trail being closed to a disrespectful horseback rider? We don't lose trails from disrespectul mtn bikers, because we don't have many. think about that, how often do you run into D bags on the trail? 99.9% are just great people. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I'm just saying its not the real reason.

#78 ·
You are right that every situation is different, but the dh rider shouldn't assume that the uphill rider will yield. It is the dh rider who needs to prepare to yield and for the up rider to assume that they will.
All this being said, I've had uphill riders yield to me going dh, but I was prepared to give them the right of way.
Believe me, I love going fast dh and would never even think about riding up a trail in a designated dh trail in a park or not. Maybe in certain situations, we need a up/ down only trails, actually have seen them in some areas, but here in BB, we have a tough enough time getting approval for any new trail.

#87 ·
If people think playing chicken with a vehicle moving much faster than them and in the direction of gravity is a good idea, then they deserve to get hit, no matter whose job it is to yield.

Sounds like the same people who step out into moving traffic without looking and fully expect that all vehicles will come to a complete stop for them to cross. Trying to make their safety everyone else's problem but their own...

#88 ·
Any news? Seems like the July fourth opening is out of the question since they were supposed to begin construction in may and it's the middle of June.

I still don't understand why snow summit wanted to use existing trail that isn't on their property, that seems to be the root of their problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.