mtbr member
    Jul 2006

New federal wilderness bill

Just a heads up about this:

http://sdmba.com/index.php?option=co...d=27&Itemid=19

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/m...-1n27wild.html

I don't know what MTB trails are contained within the proposed wilderness areas. Does anyone have more detailed maps?

Lord of the Chainrings
    Looks like maybe Noble Canyon would be affected?
    I really don't understand why they hate recreational bikes in these areas?
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007
    Infuriating, although it's reassuring that IMBA is on it. I found this map of the proposed wilderness area; I don't know the area well enough to determine wether or not BLT/NC falls in the zone:

Crop Dusting Magistrate
    Sep 2005
    BLT and NC are east of this map. I'm pretty sure Noble won't be part of this.

Keep in mind that this is the 4th year that Boxer has tried to pass this bill.
    It wasn't me

Dishwasher Safe
    Quote Originally Posted by Howeler
    Keep in mind that this is the 4th year that Boxer has tried to pass this bill.
    I'm not sure what this means. It does show they're not going to give up, and they certainly have more money than IMBA. Any of these bills only have to pass one time...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I read the linked news article. The link to SDMBA doesn't work.

Part of the reason the other bill passed last year and this one didn't was that the other bill left out some key areas that people didn't want to see turned into wilderness and effectively lobbied their congressional representatives to exclude certain areas. This is an area where local knowledge is crucial. Looking at the map, it doesn't seem like a "Wild and Scenic" designation for the river gorge would be a bad thing. But what riding areas are there in the proposed areas to the east of the gorge? That looks like the area for the Julian 7500 ride. Those are the areas that you need to be in touch with Rep. Hunter and your other area congressional rep's about. If the bill's passage depends on some horse trading for votes, then signing off on some unrideable areas in exchange for excluding the good riding areas may be a way to protect your riding areas.