mtbr member
    Oct 2007

New to California, not to Mtn Biking, looking for a good ride.

So, I know that every forum has stupid posts like this and I apologize if it pisses off any of the regulars around here. I moved out from MN at the beginning of the summer and am very new to the area. I live in LA in the fairfax area just above Culver City. I am looking to go out riding, but am concerned about my abilities. In MN I was used to riding single tracks in the woods. Not a whole lot of this mountains/crushed rock/gravel stuff. I have been riding since 93 but just got back into it last year after a hiatus. I have a 03 Kona Kikapu and am anxious to get out into some back country, but I am little concerned with flying through the mountains on narrow trails when I am not used to those kind of conditions. So, I guess...long story short, I was looking for either some guidance as to some beautiful trails to start with where I wouldn't kill myself (prefer single tracks or mix versus just fireroads), or someone who is experienced with the area looking for someone to ride trails with. Sorry again if I am wasting people's time. Thanks!
    Last edited by schurmo; 10-08-2007 at 02:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Not too familiar with the area you are currently living in, but there are a lot of good areas in LA and south (OC, San Diego, etc.).

STR has many good rides in different locales, different riding abilities.

I wouldn't worry too much about exposure. If you're used to riding and have decent bike handling skills you'll get used to it soon enough! Hopefully someone in your area has some good recommendations.

If you're looking to learn how to ride on DG (decomposing granite) with exposure, hit up San Juan Trail (just off Ortegay Highway / 74) for some fun singletrack!! Lots of switchbacks, a few exposed sections that a newbie to the trail can walk, and a good time for sure.

As I said, not really familiar with your area, but the Santa Ana's in south OC also have a ton of great singletrack's that can be linked up with fire roads.

Enjoy!

CEB
    No horse'n round
    Cali, that's in SOUTH AMERICA!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

best bet

Welcome to SoCal.

Your best bet would be the Santa Monicas. Nearest your location and accessable from the south would be Sullivan Canyon. Other choices near by would be in the Pasadena area or if you come out to Ventura county more of the trails in the Santa Monicas are available.

Here's a link to some great information on trails near where you are.

http://www.venturacountytrails.org/T.../MapsHome.html

Bob

pewpewpew Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by schurmo
    I live in LA in the fairfax area just above Culver City. I am looking to go out riding, but am concerned about my abilities.:
    Welcome to LA!

When I moved down here it took a little while to get used to the terrain as well. I agree that the Santa Monica's are the nearest to you and there are a lot of great trails here. Let me know if you are interested in checking out some of the local offerings, or check out STR (although most of their rides are a little further south).

Also, this Sunday is the Corba Poker ride in malibu state park - a short drive but fun and riding suited to all levels.
    Love, Impy

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Hey brother we ride all around the LA area. My riding bro's and I are from the San Gabriel Valley ( 20 min from where you live) we ride XC, DH everything. If you want some advice or local knowledge or just want to join up for a ride PM me. This is the time of year in so-cal to ride.
    Mike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Thanks!

Hey guys, thanks so much for the warm welcome. I was a little worried about sounding like a poser in here, but shooting off a cliff on bike, because I picked too difficult of trails, doesn't sound like a good ride! I will definitely check out the links! And Impy and bigmike, thanks a ton for the offers, I will send you guys a pm and take you up on your offers. I am excited to explore some new countryside!

Go Lakers!
    I ride mostly the Ventura County trails. Check out South Bay Mountain Biking Club or North Ranch Mountain Biking Club for some great group rides at varying levels. A few of us also meet up regularly on Tuesday and Thursday evenings if you are ever interested. PM me if you want more info.

Welcome to So Cal.
    [SIZE="3"]Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift that's why they call it the present [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

your living in mountain bike Disneyland

lets see, Westridge/ Sullivan is awesome, when u get yer skills rollin, Viper up in Canyon Country there is Mt Wilson its endless, SoCal rules in Mountain Biking, i had the pleasure to ride awesome trails there, now i live in New York and it really sucks!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    SoCal rules in Mountain Biking, i had the pleasure to ride awesome trails there, now i live in New York and it really sucks!!!!!!!!!!

Yes they do rule

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    go to www.geoladders.com

Has anyone else been to this site before? I've been using it for about 2 years and it's awesome for learning new trails etc.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Hey guys, where is the best and fairest place in LA to get a tune up. I have a little 3 year old and another on the way, so I don't have time to learn maintenance on my own, but my disc brake is scraping and lower crank squeaking. Also, I haven't forgotten about your guys offers to ride trails, my parents are coming into town so I have been a bit busy, but I hope to be riding real soon! Thanks in advance!

Commit or eat sh!t
    Palos Verdes. Take Crenshaw all the way to the top.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Welcome!!!!!!!! Please visit the club I ride with: http://www.nrmbc.org/. We have all different levels of rides and we are a very social group. Just look at the October calender. If you have a wife or girlfriend, please bring her too! We have many ladies riding with the club, so we will make her feel welcome!

Believer in Darwin
    Go to Helen's Cycles on Broadway and 26th street.
    They'll take care of you pronto.
    glty
    paz afuera

Quote Originally Posted by schurmo
    Hey guys, where is the best and fairest place in LA to get a tune up. I have a little 3 year old and another on the way, so I don't have time to learn maintenance on my own, but my disc brake is scraping and lower crank squeaking. Also, I haven't forgotten about your guys offers to ride trails, my parents are coming into town so I have been a bit busy, but I hope to be riding real soon! Thanks in advance!