ROBOTIC RESERVE

Good job! New Bridge @ Sweetwater

Check this out...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Captain's Rides
    2008 Turner 5.Spot Raw - Pushed RP23 / Pike 454 U-Turn
    2008 Turner Highline GDO - CCDB / Fox 40

I <3 Dirt
    Is that the first creek crossing after you cross the steel bridge - the one where the board was laying across the creek?

greedy as a pig
    Quote Originally Posted by mealsonwheels
    Is that the first creek crossing after you cross the steel bridge - the one where the board was laying across the creek?
    No, its after that part. Its right before you climb up the hill, where you could have turned right and went under some tree cover to the river. They tore out all the trees and bush and put this crazy thing in there. Don't know why, seems a bit strange.

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    I was told they are going to build another bridge further west of this bridge, maybe around the pond area.
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

mtbr member
    Were does it takes you to? Any trails on the north side of the river?

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    There's the access road that runs to Reservoir road. Google Earth shows many trails leading from the houses at the top. I will be contacting the Public Works to check on the status of these trails.

If in fact the land north of the access road is not Sweetwater Authority land, there may be a chance for us to negotiate upgrading these trails.
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

Rockfish
    I've ridden a couple of the trails north of the fire road (legal), a little further west of that new bridge. Not very interesting. I believe the trails north of the fire road closer to the water treatment facility are off limits.

Here is what I do like to ride. Take the fire road on the north side of the river and ride it all the way to the west, until you get to the locked gate. Look slightly to the right of the gate. Take that single track. I goes all the way to the intersection of Jamacha Blvd and Pointe Parkway. There are several short, technical parts, but mostly xc. It's more technical coming the other way from Point Parkway.

It's a blast bombing down that trail! I usually take it to get access to the Sweetwater trails from my house instead of riding pavement. Haven't been on it for months, so it may be overgrown with brush.

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    I did some exploring from the trail that climbs up from the locked gate at the end of the north fireroad. There are a couple of deeply rutted fall line trails that have potential to turn the north side into a 4-5 mile lolipop; 2.25 mile fireroad warm-up, some minor techy singletrack, a nice climb, and a fun swoopy downhill run back to the fire road.

Front Range, Colorado
    Cool a new bridge stunt to practice wheelies on. Man I have got to get out of this mind set. [broken wrist - wheelie]
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    That is a nice looking bridge. It serves a purpose while still looking rustic so as not to spoil the outdoor experience. I especially like the nice pile of horse poo in the middle.

I <3 Dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by no-pistons
    No, its after that part. Its right before you climb up the hill, where you could have turned right and went under some tree cover to the river. They tore out all the trees and bush and put this crazy thing in there. Don't know why, seems a bit strange.
    I don't remember ever crossing much water there. Seems like overkill.

greedy as a pig
    I don't remember ever crossing much water there. Seems like overkill.
    During the rain season, it gets to about waist level and moves at a pretty decent speed.

Geritol Power
    Most of what the bridge builders removed was poison oak. No big loss there.

Even though I don't usually appreciate invasive construction projects at my riding spots I will admit I have used the new bridge on my return trip back to the Steele bridge at the end of my longer rides when I'm kaput and just want beer right away. I am old and thirsty ya know I don't know who the inspector was but I have a few items on my punch list I would like to see corrected on that project.

I don't know what the heck their doing with that area by the new bridge. Seems odd to spend that kind of money there. I know the horse people heard a rumor that they were going to be restricted from using some or all of that area at some point in the future. That would be pretty chicken shilt to take that area from them with the horse ranch right across the highway.

I reckon we'll see some other changes there soon eh?

There are still some well aged Federal Wildlife Reserve signs at the top of the hill by the houses north of the treatment plant that say "area closed". I don't know what that area's current prescribed use status is. I like climbing that loose hill (trying at least) after being cooped up at work all day.

The singletrack west of the gate on the north side of the river that goes along the fence line to Jamacha and the Point is badly washed out and very overgrown. I rode it a couple months ago and took a couple of unexpected dirt naps. Also had to walk some of the downhill switchbacks that were pretty sweet at one time but were unridable at that time.

I <3 Dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by no-pistons
    During the rain season, it gets to about waist level and moves at a pretty decent speed.
    I must be thinking of a different creek crossing then. Is this bridge crossing the same creek that the steel bridge crosses?

Geritol Power
    I must be thinking of a different creek crossing then. Is this bridge crossing the same creek that the steel bridge crosses?
    Yup, about half mile down stream from the Steele bridge. At the first climb with the switchbacks.

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    The new bridge is here:
    Attached Images Attached Images

I <3 Dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Boulder Pilot
    The new bridge is here:
    Gotcha. Thanks. I figured Duzitall would know too since it's practically in his backyard.

Working Man's Toilet
    I still don't get what the point of this bridge is- there was already 2 acess points to this trail- why not at the end closer to the rez so you could do a loop? there must me something planned- or they wanted an easy way to by-pass all the homeless people at the steele bridge-
    As stated before most the the stuff on that side is wildlife refuge- no idea what they are thinking-
    hopefully they don't close to horses cuz that means bikes are not far behind.