mtbr member
    Mar 2012

New to the area, Glendale area trails rec

Hello all,
    I have been on the Norcal part of this forum a but in the past because that is where I lived and rode.
    I recently moved to the Glendale area and although I grew up mostly in socal I have not done a lot of MTB biking here.
    I am looking for some trails I can ride that would not be to far from me. Ideally some ST goodness but I am not sure how much of that is local.
    Also I will be taking a friend with me who is new to MTB and I ws wondering if you could give me some easier trails to take him out on to get him started without scaring him.lol

thanks in advance

b a n n e d
    Whatever you do . . . don't listen to AmbassadorkHawg . . . he's full of crap, errrr . . . ideas.

I keed, I keeeed . . . . he does live out that way so he kinda know's what he's talking about.

There's a lot of stuff out that way, though how much of it is more beginner friendly, I'm not really sure. If you're interested in traveling at all, Cheseboro out the 101 in Agoura is very beginner friendly. Portions of the Western Backbone trail are also really great for beginners as its legit single track that is very easy going (more interesting than fire road).
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    AmbassadorkHawg kinda know's what he's talking about.
    Oh, really?
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

b a n n e d
    Well c'mon now, mang! Offer the guy some help! That IS yo' neck of the woods, no!?

Drivetrain install is in progress . . .
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

official eMpTyBRain
    Well c'mon now, mang! Offer the guy some help! That IS yo' neck of the woods, no!?

Drivetrain install is in progress . . .
    Yes, OO7-11.... (my favorite quick stop store)

Kabob King open an account with Geoladders if you don't already have one. The only mentionable single track that has any substance to it near Glendale is Cherry Canyon. Here's a link:

Geoladders -- Cherry Canyon Singletracks

We also have lots of fire roads that are steep but great for exercise. Verdugo Mountain has lots of great fire roads.

There is also a fun all mountain single track called El Prieto that's not far away but that's definately not a beginner trail. The Santa Monica Mountains have many great trails but just keep in mind that this is steep terrain country so there is always quite a bit of climbing involved.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member

New to the area, Glendale area trails rec

I'm not really sure. If you're interested in traveling at all, Cheseboro out the 101 in Agoura is very beginner friendly. Portions of the Western Backbone trail are also really great for beginners as its legit single track that is very easy going (more interesting than fire road).
    Cheseboro is great for beginners.
    Backbone from Encinal to Yerba Buena is fun and relatively easy, too. Great views, fun ST.
    Las Llajas in Simi Valley is pretty tame, good for beginners.

I've had the task of finding trails for beginners here in the LA/SFV area. Not easy at all... I've frequented those 3 for my beginner friends' rides.

For a more difficult ride, Brown Mtn and El P are quite fun. Johnson's/Chumash/Hummingbird in Simi are great, as are the multitude of trails one can access off dirt Mulholland near Encino, Tarzana, and Woodland Hills.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '14 RIP 9
    '12 RIP 9
    '08 GF Ferrous 29
    '02 Trek 4300

Life Is Short
    Mountain Biking in Southern California with Over the Bars Mountain Bike Club

These guys/gals are local Glendale-Burbank-Pasadena folks who ride
    during the week. Very nice group. Don't let their looks deceive you
    though, each and every one of them can kick your ass. I found out
    the first time I went out on a group ride with them some 7 years ago
    on their Mt Lukens-Grizzley Fl. ride, hahaha!
    Ride More, Eat More

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    thanks for the info guys. My buddy and I tried cherry canyon. I think we went up the wrong way to get there, very steep paved road. Seemed like a decent place to explore. Once up top I saw an easier path across the canyon that looked like it came up there. Not sure what road would get me to that section.
    I will try out some of the other stuff you guys mentioned.

I was driving past forest lawn and noticed there were some hills behind it, and it looked like there was some trails possibly worth riding.
    Has anyone ridden there?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    Yes, OO7-11.... (my favorite quick stop store)

Kabob King open an account with Geoladders if you don't already have one. The only mentionable single track that has any substance to it near Glendale is Cherry Canyon. Here's a link:

Geoladders -- Cherry Canyon Singletracks

We also have lots of fire roads that are steep but great for exercise. Verdugo Mountain has lots of great fire roads.

There is also a fun all mountain single track called El Prieto that's not far away but that's definately not a beginner trail. The Santa Monica Mountains have many great trails but just keep in mind that this is steep terrain country so there is always quite a bit of climbing involved.
    thanks that link should help

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    How suitable is the La Tuna Cyn trail for a beginner? Velo recommends it on their website along along with the Mt.Wilson toll road trail.

Life Is Short
    The Mt Wilson Toll Rd is a ball buster, what beginner wants to climb that unless its
    Lance Armstrungout. Its long and drawn out. The La Tuna Cyn Loop is for beginner-intermediate because there are fail spots for a beginner. Just do some fireroads and work your way up to both. Good luck
    Ride More, Eat More