Thread: New to Area

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

New to Area

Hi all. I just moved from the East Coast to Los Angeles....Brentwood Area. I've checked out some trail reviews on this site, but I didn't find what I want. I've even bought a trail book to find some good trails in the area, but figured I would try this forum for more accurate answers. I am looking for some moderate level trails, not beginner, but not hardcore jumping and almost dying trails. Whats my best bet? Also, any recomendations on clubs or groups would be cool too. I left all my biking buddies back East..........suckers.... Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll
    Hi all. I just moved from the East Coast to Los Angeles....Brentwood Area. I've checked out some trail reviews on this site, but I didn't find what I want. I've even bought a trail book to find some good trails in the area, but figured I would try this forum for more accurate answers. I am looking for some moderate level trails, not beginner, but not hardcore jumping and almost dying trails. Whats my best bet? Also, any recomendations on clubs or groups would be cool too. I left all my biking buddies back East..........suckers.... Thanks.
    there is sullivan ridge, westridge... many other trails in topanga/santa monica.
    they range from beginner to intermediate but not much on singletrack. also
    plenty of other trails if you are willing to drive out but i havent done so.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

Riding in SM Mountains

We ride 2-3 times a week in your area. Mostly singlespeed. We would be glad to show you around if you want to hook up. What is your work situation? Can you ride on weekday mornings?

Email me if you want...

J

a.k.a. MTBMaven

Santa Monicas

I like the Backbone Train from Kanan to Coral Canyon. It's an out and back, all single track XC. No jumps or even that rocky of trail. Really a fun ride. I might be going out there this coming weekend, April 2nd or 3rd.

Never ridden it but heard great things about Cheesbrough (SP?). Might be a bit muddy still.

Check out www.singletrackmind.com for some really good trail reviews and photos so you can see what the trail looks like before you get all the way out there.

Range Review from my perspective:
    Santa Monica Mountains:
    Clean single track, nothing that killer. Trail tends to be newer and very clean. Lots of fire roads as well. Vegetation is lower, hardly any trees unless in north facing slope or in valley. Mostly soft chapparal. Views of the ocean on many of the south facing slopes. Clean air on the south side due to the ocean. No real elevation.
    Good Trails: Backbone Trail, Cheesebrough.... That's all I know.

Angeles National Forest:
    My favorite. Tougher single track trails. Lot of exposure, really rocky, steep, older trails. There are some really great rides there. They tend to be slower and technical. Vegetation is larger, more trees. Lot or releif and some real elevation >4,000 in lots of areas.
    Trails: Sam Merrils (Upper, Middle, Lower), El Priedo, Sunset Ridge, Chilao Loop, Strawberry Peak, Chantry

San Bernardino National Forest:
    Haven't ridden there as much. Similar environment as Angeles.

Cleveland National Forest:
    Similar environment as Santa Monica Mountains. Some really fun fast single track trails. Opprotunity for some long epic rides there.
    Trails: San Juan (Must do SoCal ride when they do some work on it after the rains), Santiago Peak, Harding Truck Trail.

Coastal OC:
    Some fun shorter rides with great views.
    Trails: Aliso Creak trails and El Morro trails

Glad to Be Alive
    hang out at the local bike shops...they will tell you...Talk to Monty at Helen's Bike shop...next to HBO building
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

you go ahead
    Feb 2005
    go here if you want to find people to ride with...

http://www.socaltrailriders.org/

The SM's are probably the closest to you... The Will Rogers Backbone, Westridge, Sullivan Canyon, Sullivan Ridge, Paseo Miramar, and others are all in your area.

PM me and I'd be glad to show you around the SMs if you want. Or you could go to the socaltrailriders site and look on the calendar for rides.
    Look for TheFarLeft.

Good luck
    rustyb

stay thirsty, my friends
    Haven't been to it but I've been meaning to drive out and try backbone. Been reading/hearing lots of great things about it.
    "With that said, until you have done a STR group ride- YOU HAVE NOT LIVED!"
    - dino brown

you go ahead
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by LBguy
    Haven't been to it but I've been meaning to drive out and try backbone. Been reading/hearing lots of great things about it.
    It's great. I'm doing it tomorrow (today really )

Up Paseo Miramar to the Hub and down the backbone is my favorite route.

It's a little damaged from the rain, but it'll recover in a month or so I'm guessing...