Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Nevegal tire washout / crash

My Nevegals washed out without warning banking a narrow, somewhat rocky, soft and loamy section of Tunnels last week. My line was good and speed was reasonable but both tires washed out at once and I hit the left side deck hard taking some stitches and abrasion to the face. Keeping a low profile at the moment sporty and nice left eye shiner.
    I really like the Nevs overall. They are a versatile tire. They handle well, hook up well (or thought they did) and they climb well. Downsides... rolling resistance, pinch flats....longevity. Curious if any other local riders have tried Nevs around this area and found other hoops they like better. Thanks for any input.

Front Range, Colorado
    I run the Nevs. 2.35 front and rear and I too have found that the front tends to wash out much too easily. It is definitely not the correct front tire for our dry conditions. It has too much of a squared of edge for a front tire although for a back tire it is awesome. I have heard that the Kenda Blue Groove works best for the front due to it having a better angle cut on the sidewall. Many people run the Blue Groove up front and the Nev. in the rear and swear by it being the killer set up. I for one intend to try that set up ASAP.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 07-14-2008 at 02:12 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

trail etiquette

Usually one gets some warning but there are exceptions, and the exceptions only increase when the tire hooks up well.....false sense of security. There are places that get loose, and where and when you least expect it and viola.....your on your arse fast. Happens to everyone occasionally.....me thinks the tire is not the one to blame most of the time as there are so many other factors involved.

On a side note: It would be nice if people would stop and fix the places where they blow out corners on the trails of which you speak.......this should be a part of the trail etiquette there, right? I have no sympathy for those that blow corners and lose control, and then make no effort to fix the mess they just created.......which seems a common theme there.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Down n Dirty
    My Nevegals washed out without warning banking a narrow, somewhat rocky, soft and loamy section of Tunnels last week. My line was good and speed was reasonable but both tires washed out at once and I hit the left side deck hard taking some stitches and abrasion to the face. Keeping a low profile at the moment sporty and nice left eye shiner.
    I really like the Nevs overall. They are a versatile tire. They handle well, hook up well (or thought they did) and they climb well. Downsides... rolling resistance, pinch flats....longevity. Curious if any other local riders have tried Nevs around this area and found other hoops they like better. Thanks for any input.
    OMG, that is too funny / coincedental!!!! Not that you crashed, but that I crashed with my nevegals in the tunnels just 2 weeks ago. Same thing as you - one second I'm cruising along and then WHAM I'm flying through the air superman style - no warning whatsoever. Mine was just after the ladder bridge on rocking horse, and I got a huge hematoma on my but/thigh that is just going away now. Something about the surface in there that the nev's just don't do well with I guess!

I just switched back to hutchinson spiders, 2.3 in front 2.1 in back - we'll see if they work better in there tomorow morning.

My thread in Giant forums

Chillin the Most
    There si a special cut you can make to the Nevs that make them much better. Before I cut mine, I hate these tires on the front, due to the constant wash. Here is a pic...basically you remove every other transition knob.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    i used the blue groove for almost a year and it hooked up great in the tunnels. even as worn out as it was its a good tire. i just recently put a nev in the front and havent had problems yet. and hopefully it stays that way.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Had the same problem Actually broke my wrist once. I've only be able catch myself a couple times during a wash. Other than that it was BAM! straight down. RED5 I'll give a shot! Might cut down on Rolling weight as well. thanks!

Stray Bullet
    Hutchinson Barracuda's will solve your washout issue.

just along for the ride
    +1 blue groove, get the sticky and its all easy

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
    just curious if you all are running the tire in the orientation that the arrow tells you to or if you are running it backwards?

I run my nev on the front backwards to what the arrow tells you to. I run my small block 8 on the rear the way the arrow tells you to. I think the front hooks up just fine with this orientation but more importantly, you aren't using the ramps to brake with but the hard edge of the knob.

granted, I'm an XC dork on a hardtail but this combination seems to work/corner/brake pretty well for me.

YR

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by RED5
    There si a special cut you can make to the Nevs that make them much better. Before I cut mine, I hate these tires on the front, due to the constant wash. Here is a pic...basically you remove every other transition knob.
    I cut mine, and I still had washout in the really dry conditions.

I switched to the Maxxis Minions, and I don't wash out at all. That said, they're a heavier tire, but I was getting tired of washing out at every freaking dry turn.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    If you want to continue with Kenda tires, look at the Excavator.
    The Excavator bites in the corners much better than the Nevegal. It also brakes better.
    From my experience with both tires, the Excavator works well as a front tire while the Nevegal works better as a rear tire. BTW: both tires have a lot of rolling resistance. In fact, the Excavator is the second slowest tire I have ever used (the Tioga Farmer John was the slowest!).

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE,
    I run the Nevs. 2.35 front and rear and I too have found that the front tends to wash out much too easily. It is definitely not the correct front tire for our dry conditions. It has too much of a squared of edge for a front tire although for a back tire it is awesome. I have heard that the Kenda Blue Groove works best for the front due to it having a better angle cut on the sidewall. Many people run the Blue Groove up front and the Nev. in the rear and swear by it being the killer set up. I for one intend to try that set up ASAP.
    In my experience, both Nevegal and Blue groove aren't well suited for our dry, loose, lose over hard pack terrain. They both tend to wash out easily in loose corners and braking performance is mediocre. I think they are best for hard pack, rocky terrain. I like the high rollers (sticky rubber up front, standard for rear) best for our terrain.
    Last edited by SCUBAPRO; 07-13-2008 at 01:29 PM.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks for the solid feedback. Tires get to be a very personal decision based upon terrain and riding style. I was just curious what most guys were running locally and frustrated after a crash.
    I've tried a Barracuda up front before. It hooked up OK but the Nevs were better handling overall. I might have to revisit it again in the especially dry conditions. I've been tempted to try a Blue Groove (but its still very similar to a Nev thread pattern) and I've thought about a SB8 for the rear only but I don't have any issue with keeping a Nev on the rear. I've been really pleased with the way the rear Nev brakes, climbs and handles. The front is a tough call. There is definitely some room for improvement. The search continues. Always learn something new on the saddle. If not, guess you're not riding hard enough.

2 minutes turkish
    Ray - Small Block Eight is a killer tire for our SoCal DG. It you aren't into riding in the mud, you can run it all year....and yeah, they are fast

just along for the ride
    This is good advice neve mounted backwards on the front handles way better in the turns. But a sticky blue grove is the best tire on the front besides the maxxis minnion front which if it was a bit lighter would be the king on the trails.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAPRO
    In my experience, both Nevegal and Blue groove aren't well suited for our dry, loose, lose over hard pack terrain. They both tend to wash out easily in loose corners and braking performance is mediocre. I think they are best for hard pack, rocky terrain. I like the high rollers (sticky rubber up front, standard for rear) best for our terrain.
    Hmmm I guess I was wrong about that set-up for our dry conditions. Although the Nev. in the rear works great around here IMO. Thanks’, it's time for me to redirect and try something new. Too bad this wouldn't be the ideal set-up I was just going to buy the Blue Groove for the front and end up with a spare Nev. for the rear. Maybe the High Rollers or .......???

mtbr member
    One tire I have found to work well in the deep sandy runs such as BB to the local hard pack/slick rock is the Nokian NBX DH 2.5. Granted I would change the psi depending on the trail but they hooked up in/on everything. I ran 2.5" anywhere from 17psi to 30psi and never had a problem with them.

If you want to give the NBX a try they are now sold as the Gazza All Mountain 2.5" (or 2.3", which ever you want)
    Most shops will need to order them and I believe QBP still carries them so they should be easy enough to get.

just along for the ride
    The NBX are good tires but for the front get something that holds on all conditions like the Blue Groove, makes the crashes go away
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Brown_Teeth; 07-21-2008 at 09:59 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    haha. I hear you. I do like them though as to most people. I did that mod and removed every other transition block and it worked pretty well. So far so good.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

The small block 8 looks like a beach cruiser tire

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Dolor
    I used to run a Stick-E Blue Groove up front, but i swear the SB8 in 2.35 hooks up better, plus it is WAY faster rollin'.
    but I was surprised how well the SB8 2.35 up front stuck, and man did it roll, and really light for a 2.35. But I never trusted it in hard cornering the way I do the Nevagal 2.35 up front.

Right now I'm running the SB8 2.35 in back and the Nevegal 2.35 up front and have to say this combo has worked well for me, mostly ride at Aliso Woods, Moro Canyon and San Juan and a trip to Mammoth last year.

After reading these posts though it's making me think maybe I should revisit the SB8 FRT & Rear, I really like light fast rolling tires that stick.

I like bloody ankles
    I've found the Specialized Resolution Pro's that came on my Enduro SL to be a pretty good all around performer on the local clay surfaces. They stick well in the turns and slide predictably when they do let go.

That said, they're worn out and I just ordered a Blue Groove/Nevegal combo after reading lot's of reviews. We'll see how they treat me .....

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I was in the market for a new front tire and I came across this thread. I was running 2.1 Nevegals front and back on my flux, never had a problem with them but then I am always looking to try and buy new products (I am sick that way).

The small block 8 tires appealed to me so I pulled the trigger and bought a 2.1 UST and put it up front. I went out for my weekend 2 hour ride on the same loop I have done over 50 times on Nevegals. I was impressed with the way the small blocks rolled and during the climb they worked great. I also really liked the way they hooked up in the hard so-cal dirt during the initial descent. Then I hit a long sweeping right hand turn in a rocky section with some loose stuff scattered in. I was carrying some speed as I wanted to see how the tires hooked up. Without warning it felt like someone kicked my front tire out from under me and I was in the rocks on my right side. I got lucky and escaped with a severe road rash on my right arm and a bad bruise on my hip and a sore neck.

I lost all confidence in the small blocks and can’t even walk past them without getting nervous now. I am going to try some of the other more aggressively designed tires mentioned in the thread.

I like bloody ankles
    I just changed to nevegal rear and blue groove up front and have nothing but praise after about 4 hours on them. In fact, I feel the blue groove saved my a$$ when I let the front tire drop off a square edge wash out, and somehow it grabbed and found its way back onto the high line. You know the feeling when you feel the front tire drop off, there's no time to react and you mentally expect the full washout followed by body meeting dirt, only this time it didn't happen.

I was pretty happy with the Spec Reolution Pro's that came on the bike, and I feel they were a bit faster rolling, but the new Kenda combo definititely grabs our local dirt better.

just along for the ride
    I really like the way the Blue grooves hook up on everything, especially those off camber mistakes.. I'm running the sticky E on the front and Neve DTC on the back But one think that is not so good is the thin casing, very prone to goat heads and thistle needles. Seems the BG is even thinner than the Neve in casing but as a bonus its very light for such an aggressive patterned tread. I'm going to have to slime the tubes cause its that time of the year again where loads of sharp vegis finding their way into the singletrack.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast