Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Neighborhoods within 15 miles of UC San Diego that are affordable for large family

1K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  Gallo 
#1 ·
I am considering a staff position at UCSD and looking for a neighborhood recommendation within 15 miles of UC San Diego. I would like to buy something relatively affordable for large family with 4 school age kids with 3-4 bedrooms around $450,000; or rent.

Schools are important, as are the cooler temperatures found on the western side (or higher elevations). Ideally, I would like to commute by bike up to 15 miles each way, on fire-roads or trails if possible.

Our family income would be right around 100k, so that rules out the country club lifestyle. Would it be possible to find something that won't make us house-poor?

#3 ·
University City, Mira Mesa and Tierrasanta would be ideal communities but median homes are all close to or over $550K. Doesn't mean diamonds in the rough aren't out there but the market is HOT in San Diego right now. You may be stuck renting but even that is getting harder. Supply is tight.

#4 ·
Best wishes on your search. San Diego isn't cheap, so your lifestyle will need to focus on what is really important to you. I'm lucky enough to have been here since 1989, but we struggle bringing in new folks at work, especially those with families. You will need to look east, away from the beach communities, and pay attention to commute traffic. Penasquitos Canyon will provide a route to commute, but it's not good during the few rainy days we get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
All three neighborhoods are in the San Diego Unified School District. It is a fine school district. There is the highly coveted Poway Unified School District but you would need to move further inland and the home prices in the school district are reflected accordingly.

#12 ·
We live in RPQ. I would highly recommend it but I didn't mention it because of your price range. Most homes in the area are north of 600K.

As far as high schools there are two, Mt Carmel and Westview. I know that just recently Westview was recognized in the top 100 HS in the US. I don't remember what the criteria used to make the list. The only thing you have to get used to is the block system used there. My kids only take four classes a semester but the classes are longer and a full year of material is covered in the semester. I believe Mt Carmel has a more traditional education system but it is a fine school as well.

You commute would be a great ride each morning. Lots of us have done it at different times. You can easily get from the canyon floor on the west end up to the mesa via dirt. Only your last 1-2 miles will be paved. Lots and lots of riding oppertunites right our your back door. You can get epic length (50+), all dirt rides in. I know they are expanding and developing the trail system in the area as well.

I love where I live. Probably will stay until I can't make it up Black Mountain anymore.

#15 ·
Wow, thanks! This is great info. My preference would be to commute both ways (12 miles each way) with as much off-road as possible. Is it OK to use the Peñasquitos Canyon trail year round? I know that it closes for rain, but what about in the evening when it is dark? Can it be ridden with lights?

if rancho peñasquitos doesn't destroy your budget, it's def worth researching/considering. not familiar with the schools there as my kids are older
but the daytime temps will generally be 5-8 degrees warmer than coastal temps during the summer and 3-5 degrees warmer than coastal temps
during the "winter." about 5 degrees colder at night than the coast in winter. it really starts to heat up/cool down more east of the 15 fwy where you
lose that moderating coastal weather influence.

commute would depend on exactly where in "pq" you end up. main corridors to/from pq/ucsd are:
east/west: 56 freeway bike path, peñasquitos canyon, mira mesa blvd (and/or camino cristobal/sorrento valley blvd) and miramar rd.
north/south: black mountain rd, camino ruiz, camino santa fe, el camino real/vista sorrento pkwy, sorrento valley rd and north torrey pines rd
(along the coast).

all the roads mentioned above have their particular +/- so i hesitate to recommend a particular route without knowing fitness levels, comfort
with traffic, riding style, etc. regardless of your choice(s), most of the roads mentioned above have marked bike lanes for much of their length.
because of the canyon and mesa topography in the area, there will be at least one decent climb of 4-10 minutes depending on the exact route.
all are paved except peñasquitos canyon which is a mixture of deep soft gravel,"chunky" gravel, hard packed dirt and soft sand along approx 5 miles.
i've done it on a road bike with 23" tires but the trail is meant for cross or mt bikes and frequently gets closed during periods of rain (if/when it actually
does rain). two of the paved roads are closed to cars-the 56 freeway path and a 2 mile stretch of sorrento valley rd.

hope this helps. happy hunting!

#16 ·
The trail is not technical and can be easily navigated by light. You would be surprised just how many people you see after dark. With the time change only a month away, it will be dark after 5 pm so you would need them for your commute. Once you land a location, it is easy to set up a nearly all dirt route. Lots of lesser connecting canyons and trails that don't see much use.

#19 ·
Correct, there are various groups who still ride the trails at night, year round. The "Wednesday ride" is the most well known, been going on for years but it's now run by a cat1 racer who likes to push the pace but if you're into that kind of thing it's a cool ride and a great way to keep fit in the off-season.

A BB says, riders who live in PQ tend to stay there; I certainly will.

#20 ·
I have been in PQ for a number of years. Two students k-12 here in pq one student at UCSD now. I grew up here in San Diego in University City.Clairemont is a mixed bag as far as schools ( I went to Clairemont High) and neighborhoods but close to UCSD and commutable. UC has good public schools k-12 and is a solid neighborhood but more expensive than Clairemont. Both share the same weather which is a bit cooler than PQ.While PQ is not as hot as it is inland it is warmer than Clairemont/UC on hot days. It was not unusual for me when I grew up in UC to be locked in by the coastal marine layer. While PQ is a bit warmer you are more likely to see the sun. Mira Mesa like Clairemont is a mixed bag of schools and neighborhoods Cheaper rents however and geographically about the same. The one difference is the climbs into Mira Mesa are challenging. Clairemont UC would be mostly street commuting. Del Mar has great schools as does La Jolla but you pay a premium to be on the coast

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.