mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Need your opinion on a classified buyer-scam or no scam?

This looks like a scam to me but I'm having a hard time telling. Have any of you had issues or dealt with this one? I had one other interested email that also seemed like a scam. This guy's email is PastorJohn@hotmail.com and I'm thinking, "how may pastors have a financier?" I've sent an email back asking where he is a pastor or if that's just his last name.

Hello,
    Glad to read from you. I'm really interested in the unit but i'm so sorry as i won't be able to come for a look as i'm the busy type. Well, i'll keep in touch with my financier to mail a check for the amount you're requesting and will have a shipping company to come for the pick up as soon as you confirm to me that you receive the check and it clears your bank.
    If this arrangement is acceptable, pls get back to me with your name as it will appear on the check and your contact address that the check will be mail to along with your cell #. Please write back as soon as possible so we can proceed.

Thanks.

i call it a kaiser blade
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ehansen007

Glad to read from you. I'm really interested in the unit but i'm so sorry as i won't be able to come for a look as i'm the busy type. Well, i'll keep in touch with my financier to mail a check for the amount you're requesting and will have a shipping company to come for the pick up as soon as you confirm to me that you receive the check and it clears your bank.

Thanks.
    it's complete and utter bullsh!t.

the bank will cash your check, you'll ship this to pastor asstard, then when the check fails to clear you'll be left with no bike and no money.

BMF
    Oct 2007
    I agree, this is a total scam. Robert DeNiro said it best in "Ronin":
    "If there's any doubt, then there is no doubt"

Warrior's Society
    Anytime they mention a "shipping agent".......it is a scam.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I've read about these scams. Like eat_dirt says, the several-day delay between a bank cashing/accepting a check and it actually clearing is where you get duped into a false assurance of payment. So you ship your item for sale, then the bank finds out check isn't good and demands payment from YOU.

Sometimes the buyer/scammer overpays "by accident" so you also mail them a good check for the difference before you discover the scam. Total fleece job.

You know what they say: "An idiot is born every minute, but on the internet an idiot is born every second!"

mtbr member
    This is the classic Nigerian scam and I suggest you do what I have done many times, have fun with it!

Tell him you'll be happy to do whatever he has suggested, you look forward to doing business, etc. He'll send you a 'cheque' which will be fake.

Keep the cheque as a souvenir (I've got about 20 at home), then tell him you've cashed the check and decided to keep the $ for yourself and not sell the bike. This pisses them off and you might get some fun emails out of it.

As an option, I give them my phone number and ask them to call, then try to keep them on the line for awhile, as it costs $ to call the US from Nigeria, which is where they normally are located. Every little bit costs them $, including sending the cheque.

Enjoy!

RC

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xPneu
    This is the classic Nigerian scam and I suggest you do what I have done many times, have fun with it!

Tell him you'll be happy to do whatever he has suggested, you look forward to doing business, etc. He'll send you a 'cheque' which will be fake.

Keep the cheque as a souvenir (I've got about 20 at home), then tell him you've cashed the check and decided to keep the $ for yourself and not sell the bike. This pisses them off and you might get some fun emails out of it.

As an option, I give them my phone number and ask them to call, then try to keep them on the line for awhile, as it costs $ to call the US from Nigeria, which is where they normally are located. Every little bit costs them $, including sending the cheque.

Enjoy!

RC
    Hah- too funny! but do you really want these guys to have your phone no? It's quite easy to do a reverse look up address finder- but I agree it's a scam

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nightops
    Hah- too funny! but do you really want these guys to have your phone no? It's quite easy to do a reverse look up address finder- but I agree it's a scam

They're in Nigeria, and have no intention of doing anything. These are not guys with the means or the will to act on something which cost them nothing anyway, other than a few phone calls or sending a fake check.

Besides, I usually give them my work #!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by eat_dirt
    ..pastor asstard, ...
    ROTFLMAO.

dude, that's the funniest thing i've read on the internet in like a year. brilliant.
    It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own.

- Cicero

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Thanks guys. That's what I figured. Just checking to see if anyone else had heard of this. Hilarious.

Got 3 nipples.
    I got the exact same e-mail response to an add I posted. I asked for a number where I could talk to the buyer and I did a reverse look-up. Turns out it was the fax machine to the Denver Mint. Sure...so I suggested that they buyer just send me precious metals, preferably blocks of gold and silver.

Still working on a number though.
    Making "easy" look hard.