Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    stay thirsty, my friends

Idea! need your input - new mtb website for socal riders?

I'm about ready to launch a socal mountain biking site / club.

planned features
    1. maintenance days
    2. events
    3. rides (weekly? monthly? both? whenever?)
    4. forums w/ LBS database and other local things
    5. updated trail status (closed? open? trail work?)
    6. other features might arrise from feedback?
    7. rider profiles
    8. photo gallery

A club might or might not arise from this. Maybe just a small network of riders who can contact each other to ride.

As of now the entire financial burden associated from hosting the site will fall upon me. I might put a 'donate' button the site, although I'm not counting on it. The web design and build will be done by me, so no extra cost for me there. This isn't a business venture, merely a guy's desire to get more involved with biking and meeting and helping people who share the same passion.

Here are the list of possible domain names I'm thinking about. Please do not register any of these until I register one, I wasn't going to list my ideas at first for fear of having them stolen, but I figured I'd risk it.

1. FUNWITHFATTIRES.COM
    2. LIFEWITHMTB.COM
    3. MTBENTHUSIASTS.COM
    4. MTBDEMONS.COM
    5. EVADECONCRETE.COM
    6. ROCKYTERRAIN.COM
    7. MTB-SOCAL.COM
    8. SOCAL-MTB.COM
    9. MTBINSOCAL.COM
    10. MTBKINGDOM.COM
    11. DIRTHRASHERS.COM
    12. DIRTTHRASHERS.COM
    13. LOVETHYDIRT.COM

Now a few questions I have . . .

Which of the above name ideas do you like? Do you have a better idea?
    What do you think of this idea?
    Would YOU actually bookmark and regularly visit this site if I build it?
    Do you see a need for this?
    Would you find this site useful?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    No offense, but what's wrong with this site? It has everything you are planning and you can certainly annouce/plan your group rides through this forum. Frankly, I think its rather cheesy to solicit advice here on starting up a competing forum.

Quote Originally Posted by LBguy

planned features
    1. maintenance days
    2. events
    7. rider profiles
    8. photo gallery

A club might or might not arise from this. Maybe just a small network of riders who can contact each other to ride.

As of now the entire financial burden associated from hosting the site will fall upon me. I might put a 'donate' button the site, although I'm not counting on it. The web design and build will be done by me, so no extra cost for me there. This isn't a business venture, merely a guy's desire to get more involved with biking and meeting and helping people who share the same passion.

Here are the list of possible domain names I'm thinking about. Please do not register any of these until I register one, I wasn't going to list my ideas at first for fear of having them stolen, but I figured I'd risk it.

1. FUNWITHFATTIRES.COM
    2. LIFEWITHMTB.COM
    3. MTBENTHUSIASTS.COM
    4. MTBDEMONS.COM
    5. EVADECONCRETE.COM
    6. ROCKYTERRAIN.COM
    7. MTB-SOCAL.COM
    8. SOCAL-MTB.COM
    9. MTBINSOCAL.COM
    10. MTBKINGDOM.COM
    11. DIRTHRASHERS.COM
    12. DIRTTHRASHERS.COM
    13. LOVETHYDIRT.COM

Now a few questions I have . . .

Which of the above name ideas do you like? Do you have a better idea?
    What do you think of this idea?
    Would YOU actually bookmark and regularly visit this site if I build it?
    Do you see a need for this?
    Would you find this site useful?

stay thirsty, my friends
    Quote Originally Posted by EJBlur
    No offense, but what's wrong with this site? It has everything you are planning and you can certainly annouce/plan your group rides through this forum. Frankly, I think its rather cheesy to solicit advice here on starting up a competing forum.
    It wouldnt be a competing forum, it would be a full website geared only towards people who live in socal. The only aspect of MTBR that it might compete with is the socal forums, which is what, 1 forum out of 70+ on here? Not to mention that it's not competing with its product reviews or anything else.

This small socal forum on mtbr doesn't have a rider databse, or good comprehensive database of LBS's and reviews on them, a good organized calender with rides, hang out/maintenance days, etc. Not to mention that this site is geared towards just about the whole world and not the socal community, and is fueled by advertisements.
    Another thing is that these forums are never moderated and thus we can't have stickies up top for regular rides or events.

And like I said, I'm not trying to compete with anyone here, this isn't about money. This is money coming out of my pocket and more importantly would be lots of time and effort sacraficed to do this. I personally think it would be cool to really create a community of riders in socal rather then just have a few occasional posts on a giant website.

But I do appreciate your opinion! I posted this because I'm un-sure if it would be a worthwhile project for me and your feedback is helping me with my decision.

mtbr member
    Jan 2003

SDTrailriders

Yahoo forum works great. not fancy but rides are informally posted w/ good participation.

Merrrrjig
    Jan 2004
    dont listen to the first guy, socal-mtb.com it would be way sick

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Check out www.mybikesite.com (also referred to as socalMtb.com) it seems to have a lot of what you are suggesting. Using their name with a hyphen in it as your URL as you and another poster suggest would be a little unseemly, no?

Not to say there isn't room for another site, but frankly, there is so little activity on these sites already it seems like a waste to dilute it further with one more site.

It wouldnt be a competing forum, it would be a full website geared only towards people who live in socal. The only aspect of MTBR that it might compete with is the socal forums, which is what, 1 forum out of 70+ on here? Not to mention that it's not competing with its product reviews or anything else.

This small socal forum on mtbr doesn't have a rider databse, or good comprehensive database of LBS's and reviews on them, a good organized calender with rides, hang out/maintenance days, etc. Not to mention that this site is geared towards just about the whole world and not the socal community, and is fueled by advertisements.
    Another thing is that these forums are never moderated and thus we can't have stickies up top for regular rides or events.

And like I said, I'm not trying to compete with anyone here, this isn't about money. This is money coming out of my pocket and more importantly would be lots of time and effort sacraficed to do this. I personally think it would be cool to really create a community of riders in socal rather then just have a few occasional posts on a giant website.

But I do appreciate your opinion! I posted this because I'm un-sure if it would be a worthwhile project for me and your feedback is helping me with my decision.

stay thirsty, my friends
    Quote Originally Posted by EJBlur
    Check out www.mybikesite.com (also referred to as socalMtb.com) it seems to have a lot of what you are suggesting. Using their name with a hyphen in it as your URL as you and another poster suggest would be a little unseemly, no?

Not to say there isn't room for another site, but frankly, there is so little activity on these sites already it seems like a waste to dilute it further with one more site.
    I've been there before and although it does have promise, the site's design is just not that great. Not a very user friendly site. None of the sites have any current updates on trail conditions too. Today I was looking to find out wether whiting or morro were open thought it'd be nice if I could just check the status on a website.

I'll have a prototype site in about a week and maybe I can change some minds . . .
    here are some recent sites I've done: www.kara-gop.org and www.steel4boe.com

Thanks for the replies and PM's. So far it's been fairly even on the good idea/bad idea. I'm still on the fence about wether or not go to through with this project, although I'll probably do it even if only a handful of people benefit from it. (i get bored and look for things to do when I'm not riding )

anybody like this http://www.csulb.edu/~ggonzal3/ ? logo too big?
    Last edited by LBguy; 10-22-2004 at 12:45 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I hope that you do it, the project shows promise since there are probably 20-million people in the area. It would seem a no-brainer that we can use a clearer, more comprehensive site dedicated to us. The only aspect not mentioned is that it's popularity will be a direct reflection of your ambition. Mountain biking in Socal is at a crossroads. Trails used to be packed, bike shops seemed to be on every corner, now it seems to have lost some of it's popularity. Sometimes when I log on to this site, I check what other areas are doing in terms of posts and it amazes me when I see areas with small populations (compared to California) but a huge number of posts on MTBR. If you create this site and market it with enthusiasm, there is no reason that it will not take-off, but if you do it as a business venture and sit back and watch, it will probably fade away.
    Please feel free to let me know if there is anything I can do to help. David

_
    Mar 2004
    I think its a great idea, I'd be down to contribute some design work too if needed (im a graphic designer).

Drop me a line if ya need help with layout and what not.

cask conditioned
    A mtb site dedicated entirely to flaming each other would be totally sweet.

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by endo verendo

Heh heh heh!!

stay thirsty, my friends
    Quote Originally Posted by drtunit
    Please feel free to let me know if there is anything I can do to help. David
    You have PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bdee
    I think its a great idea, I'd be down to contribute some design work too if needed (im a graphic designer).

Drop me a line if ya need help with layout and what not.
    You also have PM

mtbr member
    I think it would be a great Idea. If you would like some help with the design, graphics, etc. let me know. I designed and maintain this site already (needs some back-end work) http://www.rockmtb.com/ and many others.

I had the same idea but, one more towards what I consider "free ride" (really all-mountain, Trail riding, etc. and of course some DH type stuff. Not just "hucking") - http://www.mtbfreeride.com/ I can handle all the basic html stuff, but I would like to partner with a true "programmer" for all the database, backend stuff.

Anyways, let us know if you move forward...

Ps... bdee and anyone else, looks like we ride the same type of stuff, post your rides...

Anyone going out today? I was thinking maybe Cowles...
    And when I'm sure I just can't do it anymore, He just smiles and says... "Pedal!"

jci
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You do know that socalmtb and mtbsocal (both without dashes...) are already registered and the former is well in use right? Socalmtb has bike events, forums, trail updates, and bike shop listings.

All I'm saying is how will you differentiate yourself from that existing website?

Sorry that I appear the pessimist

planned features
    1. maintenance days
    2. events
    7. rider profiles
    8. photo gallery

1. MTB-SOCAL.COM
    2. SOCAL-MTB.COM

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    None of the sites have any current updates on trail conditions too. Today I was looking to find out wether whiting or morro were open thought it'd be nice if I could just check the status on a website.
    Yes, this would be nice, but who is going to be doing daily updates of all these trails if the much more well known socalmtb site cannot be kept current by users?

stay thirsty, my friends
    Quote Originally Posted by jci
    You do know that socalmtb and mtbsocal (both without dashes...) are already registered and the former is well in use right? Socalmtb has bike events, forums, trail updates, and bike shop listings.

All I'm saying is how will you differentiate yourself from that existing website?

Sorry that I appear the pessimist
    I know, and like I mentioned above . . .
    I've been there before and although it does have promise, the site's design is just not that great. Not a very user friendly site. None of the sites have any current updates on trail conditions too. Today I was looking to find out wether whiting or morro were open thought it'd be nice if I could just check the status on a website.
    Also, the trail updates aren't all that up to date. They only get updated when a rider goes there and updates it. At least they could have daily updates for state and federal parks which are easy to update (call the phone number for the park and ask)

here's an updated prototype design http://www.csulb.edu/~ggonzal3/
    I cant decide between . . .
    SOCALTRAILRIDER.COM
    SOCALBIKERS.ORG
    SOCALTRAILRIDERS.ORG
    RIDERSINSOCAL.COM
    SOCALDIRTYMONKEYS.COM
    SOCALDIRTMONKEY.COM

I can't help but wonder if you run that site?
    Last edited by LBguy; 10-26-2004 at 08:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

I can't help but wonder if you run that site?

Haha, yea, everyone that disagrees with your 'grand idea' runs competing web sites....ya that's it, it's a conspiracy against you.

stay thirsty, my friends
    No conspiracy theories, just wondering is all since the same things have been mentioned 3 times.
    btw . . . do you like any of the domain names I mentioned in the above post? I can't decide . . .

jci
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I came across socalmtb when looking for the lbs that I work at (prior to their entry to the whole online retailer cookiecutter thing, but that's a whole other can of worms).

I am not affiliated with socalmtb, I just thought it suspicious that you would use the hyphenated URL, and have much the same content. And, in retrospect, I should have scanned through the posts a little better, as I didn't see the previous mention to socalmtb before my post until looking again.

As far as interfaces/usability, if you can make a succinct/effective website to bring forth that information (hopefully automate the trail conditions like a traffic report, otherwise it will fall behind), etc, then you will have differentiated yourself.

I think that such a model would nessesitate a power greater than yourself, with a portal system that could be updated by any user. That would turn you into moderator, but increase potential content to the front page. Heavy tweaking of an existing engine for bulletin boards would be necessary, but I have seen pretty good things done before to make for content management. It will run on some database/scripting, non-dynamic content is dead for such a website. Gaining a critical mass will be an issue.

The user-centric website though can be very successful (IE mtbr), or can kind of stagnate (IE socalmtb).

On a strange, only kind of related note:
    Right now the class relationships of a bike shop point-of-sale system are swirling through my head. My goal is to make a school project out of building a POS system if I take another object oriented class. I would not expect a commercial product, but instead learning experiences to the complexities of an ordering/sales system. I'm studying computer science, and that's the crap that goes through my head.

I guess what I'm trying to say is an easy to use, popular system often requires complexity.
    There, and all from you calling me a shill

pewpewpew Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by endo verendo
    You are such an @ss, you homophobic dog hating helmet wearing turner riding turd.

As for the site, I like socal-mtb.com, or something along those lines that tells people its socal and its mtb'ng.

One thing I'd like to point out, is you _can_ post here to get trail conditions - other riders are out there and may be able to report.

stay thirsty, my friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    You are such an @ss, you homophobic dog hating helmet wearing turner riding turd.

As for the site, I like socal-mtb.com, or something along those lines that tells people its socal and its mtb'ng.

One thing I'd like to point out, is you _can_ post here to get trail conditions - other riders are out there and may be able to report.
    Ended up using socal in the name. It's www.socaltrailriders.org. Still adding things and making improvements, but for the most part it's good to go.
    "With that said, until you have done a STR group ride- YOU HAVE NOT LIVED!"
    - dino brown

Dead Man Riding
    Nah, It'll never work. Don't even bother. SocalTrailRiders? Lame name. I'll bet you'll never even have 10 members, much less 1000. No-one will ever go on rides. You'll never award a golden kickstand award.

Oh wait...

Congrats to George and Socal Trail Riders for 3 years of MTB goodness. Thanks for making it a site focused around the riders, and thanks to all of the members for making it a great site.

Guess it pays not to listen to critics.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Obviously I haven't been here that long

That's hilarious!!! i read thru the first 5-10 messages and the whole time I'm wondering why this guy just doesn't help out with the socaltrailriders site. It wasn't until your post that I bothered to pay attention to the date!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SAR_boats
    Nah, It'll never work. Don't even bother. SocalTrailRiders? Lame name. I'll bet you'll never even have 10 members, much less 1000. No-one will ever go on rides. You'll never award a golden kickstand award.

Oh wait...

Congrats to George and Socal Trail Riders for 3 years of MTB goodness. Thanks for making it a site focused around the riders, and thanks to all of the members for making it a great site.

Guess it pays not to listen to critics.

Sober for now...
    Great time yesterday. Lots of fun.

Ridin' in iRie meditation
    Same here. George, good for you for sticking to it!

Quote Originally Posted by mauric6943
    That's hilarious!!! i read thru the first 5-10 messages and the whole time I'm wondering why this guy just doesn't help out with the socaltrailriders site. It wasn't until your post that I bothered to pay attention to the date!!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast