mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Need Your Advice (Bike/Camp Trip)

My buddy and I want to do a 2 or 3 day bike trip/camp. We are willing to drive pretty far so thats not the problem. We would be leaving from San Diego. Looking for some fun trails ( I ride a Kona Stinky and suck at climbing ) so huge climbs are not really my thing! haha But anyways what trips have you guys done that youve enjoyed?

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    sounds like bootleg in vegas is for you!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    tell me more about it plz

mtbr member
    Sedona!

mistereckz
    Second Bootleg. Been a couple of times. Super-dooper...Yeeeah! Hot in the summer though...blistering actually! Shuttle runs on the weekend. $20 (?) for the day, I think, is what I payed last time. Haven't been for a year or so, but last time I went there was someone camped out in one of the parking areas. Bathrooms, showers, lots of friendly people, 30min from Vegas if thats your thing...good place for FR/DH and there are XC trails also.
    Last edited by mistereckz; 03-02-2007 at 06:56 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I second Sedona, there are a lot of killer trails on the way to Sedona. South Mountain is insane.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    thanks for the info guys ill check both of those out

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007
    I'm heading to Bootleg Canyon tonight, to camp/ride for the weekend. I'll post pics and details on Monday.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    that would be great!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I still need to pick up a bike!!!! haha. Cannot wait for this trip Tait.

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007
    Update: Bootleg Canyon was sick! I'd have to say it was the best day of riding I've ever had. We rode up once, then paid $10 for three shuttle runs (we only used two though). I highly recommend the shuttle, the runs are still a good workout, but you get to do a lot more riding by going to the top. BTW, when they say Black Diamond, they mean it. We attempted a Double Black, and it was chunkier than anything I've seen in San Diego (But, I ride a hard tail, if you have a freeride/DH bike with armor, it would be a different story). The XC trails however, are more like Downhill Cross Country, and the kid that runs the shuttle will hook up with all the info/directions you need.

A word on camping though: be prepared for windy conditions. You can camp right at the trail head, but it's really flat and exposed, I didn't sleep a wink Friday night. I'd recomend either sleeping in a your truck, or calling All Mountain Cyclery in Boulder City NV (which is basically the Bootleg Canyon goto spot, and its right near the trails) to foinf a better, more sheltered spot. Also, there are free showers at Bootleg, but no hot water. If your going for three days, you might want to invest in sun shower.

PS You can rent a $2500 free ride bike at the aforementioned bike shop for $50 a day.

My dogs are killin me
    Thanks for the write up. Sounds like it was a blast. Any pictures from the trip?

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007
    Unfourtunatly, my digital camera ran out of batteries before I could snap a single pic. But, my buddy found an old disposable in his pack, and he's going to have it developed today. So, stand by on that.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    sounds like a blast, where did you rent the bike from and what kind of bike did you ride? my buddy may need to rent a bike if he cant find a new one by the time we leave....thanks brendacahill

mtbr member
    here is a my top two. bootleg is my favorite usually go a few time's a year. Moab you might need a couple more days to go but is worth it.
    1.Bootleg
    2.Moab

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by taitcampbell
    sounds like a blast, where did you rent the bike from and what kind of bike did you ride? my buddy may need to rent a bike if he cant find a new one by the time we leave....thanks brendacahill
    I didn't rent, I rode my Giant Hardtail. Although, an all-mountain or freeride bike woudv;e been ideal. This place is right by Bootleg (like a 1/2 mile), and has everything you'll need. Freeride bikes are $50 a day I think: http://www.allmountaincyclery.com/