Fat guy on a bike

Need some day trip ideas

I have a few vacation days to use by the end of the year, and want to expand on my trail repertoire so to say.

I live in Valencia and ride around here and Malibu/Thousand oaks areas a lot. So something a little different would be good. Might swing up to a 2 hour drive.

I already am set on Mt. Pinos. But want one more trip other than that.

It needs to be not too extreme as i'm riding a basic hard tail.

Thanks all. Anyone open to ride with a slow clyde is welcome to join me

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordy
    I have a few vacation days to use by the end of the year, and want to expand on my trail repertoire so to say.

I live in Valencia and ride around here and Malibu/Thousand oaks areas a lot. So something a little different would be good. Might swing up to a 2 hour drive.

I already am set on Mt. Pinos. But want one more trip other than that.

It needs to be not too extreme as i'm riding a basic hard tail.

Thanks all. Anyone open to ride with a slow clyde is welcome to join me
    Hurkey Creek is one of my regular day trips that I enjoy.

Easy drive, good parking at the day-use area, tons of single-track, and plenty of dining options in town before heading back.

Good Luck!

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    What about the San Gabriels to the east of SCV? Look at the area from the Devil's Punchbowl to just below Wrightwood. Especially Manzanita trail. Barring snow, the area around Chilao flats on the front (west) side of the area by Mt Gleason has some good stuff.

Also, the Kern area will be good as long as you don't get too crazy with the elevation (snow possibilties, etc).

Then of course there is the area out of Pasadena in the San Gabriels...and the backcountry of the Saugus district like 5700' Liebre Mtn and the Golden eagle singletrack descent...I could go on and on.

However, all this is closed at the moment until the fire closure is lifted.

I live in Castaic.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

Fat guy on a bike
    Bump.

Thanks for the replies.

The Idyllwild area looks great but its a long drive in traffic unless i go way around.

mtbr member
    If you haven't ridden Golden Eagle, then that would be a good choice. I usually combine portions of the singletrack with the fireroad on the climb up, which works out nicely. Out-and-back on the singletrack is also a good way to go, but it's shorter and offers fewer views.

Directions:

From I-5 northbound, exit at CA-138 East toward Lancaster/Palmdale. Continue for approximately 4.5 miles on CA-138 and turn right onto Ridge Route Road. Park at the Sandberg ruins, which is 2.5 miles up the Ridge Route, on the right, just past the intersection with Pine Canyon Road.

I recommend the following route:

From Sandberg, follow the Ridge Route 2.9 miles and turn left onto the fireroad (7N23). Start climbing and stay left at the first split. At 7.4 miles, Golden Eagle crosses the fireroad (easy to spot). Go right onto the singletrack and climb/descend/climb until it tees into a double-track at 9.4 miles. Go left onto the double-track and immediately left again onto a short connector trail that will tee into the main fireroad at 9.6 miles. Go right onto the fireroad and continue climbing. At 10.6 miles, Golden Eagle crosses the fireroad again. Go left onto the singletrack and you'll reach the top at 11.4 miles (fenceline and PCT). Turn around and stay on Golden Eagle all the way back down.

On the lowermost section of Golden Eagle there is one trail junction. You'll see a lesser trail dropping steeply off to the right. Just stay to the left on the main trail, which seems like the obvious way to go.

At the very bottom of the trail, there used to be a steep drop to the Ridge Route. This has been re-routed. The trail now runs into a jeep trail with an easy runout to the Ridge Route. Turn right and you're back to your vehicle in less than a minute.

Total distance: 18.7 miles
    Total elevation gain: 2260 feet
    High Point: 5495 feet

i eat rocks
    santa barbara is sweet, tunnel is the tech DH run, cold creek is also fun just not as nutty, only prob with SB is you have to either take a few buddies that like to shuttle or meet up with someone from the local shops,

velo pro shop(off state street) is always nice to me down there. i just call up my exgf that goes to ucsb and she takes me to the top and picks me up, good deal huh.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I'll second these San Gabriel recommendations and JimN's for Golden Eagle. I'm in Lancaster and ride these often. I'm a teacher and have holiday breaks coming up so let me know when you want to ride any of these and I'll see if I can come with you. Same invite to Mtroy and anyone else. Manzanita is a great trail in between the few crappy parts! The FS road to the top has been repaired so the loop is a bit easier now.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog
    I'll second these San Gabriel recommendations and JimN's for Golden Eagle. I'm in Lancaster and ride these often. I'm a teacher and have holiday breaks coming up so let me know when you want to ride any of these and I'll see if I can come with you. Same invite to Mtroy and anyone else. Manzanita is a great trail in between the few crappy parts! The FS road to the top has been repaired so the loop is a bit easier now.
    Is that the road past the 'boy's camp'? Was it messed up? Been a while since I was up there.

I rode Golden Eagle twice this year after not being on it for years (and years). Kinda forgot about it (a few pics from the last ride in the blog link below). It is in good shape right now except the top part is sandy and a bit grooved from motos.

I remember when we first discovered it from map searching about 15 years ago. Wow, was it brushy. One piece of shrubbery actually stopped me mid-pedal and kept me from falling over. Tough plants.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

Glad to Be Alive
    Mt wilson or go to SBarbara and ride san Ysidro....but have a bell on your bike

ever do Chumash in Simi Valley
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Fat guy on a bike
    Chumash is on my list as a morning ride. Dang i need to finalize my plans soon lol.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Yes. It's the road past Camp Fenner. That road was turned into a small canyon for most of the lower 1.5 miles after the record rain/snow of about 3, maybe 4 years ago. My daughter and I hiked up there with the dogs in early June and stood on a 15 ft high pile of avalanche snow about 25 yds long. There were 2 other avalanche piles coming down from Baden Powell. They wiped out Hwy 2 as well. There's better drainage ditches and concrete water crossings now. The same kind of winter, if it ever comes, will wipe out the new stuff too. The Manzanita trail however, has not been repaired. But it's still worth riding.

I had the same experience with Golden Eagle several years ago. Way too brushy. I think the Clip'D In guys have done most of the work on it so now it's great. Another great trail near you is 5-deer south of Bouquet Resivoir. I don't know what it's like now after the Buckweed fire.

BMF
    Oct 2007
    There was an article recently in one of the mtb rags about Palm Springs. They highlighted some good rides like Palm Canyon. Anyways, good time of year to go there if it's in your strike-zone.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordy
    Chumash is on my list as a morning ride. Dang i need to finalize my plans soon lol.
    ride up las llajas and then down Chumash......moderate rider under hour an half loop
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I'd check out Strawberry Peak near Pasadena.

Others have mentioned Hurkey Creek which would be worth the drive as well.

I do both on my hardtail. There's just one section at the end of the Strawberry Peak loop where I'd like some rear suspension. Other than that, both are great hardtail rides.

I have pics and descriptions of both on my blog. Link Below.