mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Need more Santa Barbara rides!

So let me start off by saying that I have only been mountain biking for about a year and have only been living in Santa Barbara since last September. When I moved here from CT, it took a while for me to build up my endurance and skills to handle most of the trails around here, but I have finally gotten to the point where I think I can start tackling the more difficult areas nearby. Especially recently, things have been really clicking while I'm riding and I can feel that I am getting a healthy addiction to the sport.

I have been going back and forth between Jesusita and Romero for the past few months- and these are still great, challenging rides for me, but I am getting the itch to start pushing myself some more. My problem is that even after almost a year in SB, I don't really know where else I should be biking. I have a Trek 4300 HT and am weary of Tunnel and Cold Springs. I have done the Camuesa Connector twice. I am thinking of doing San Ysidro this weekend. I feel like I am missing a huge chunk of trails though! What else is out there that would be good for a beginner/intermediate rider like myself?

As part of this, what websites/trail guides should I be using? I have looked through the ones here and on sbmtv (though this site is down right now). I've had this feeling since I moved here that I am missing some mysterious part of mtb life in SB...

Thanks in advance!

Chris

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    For something longer and more appropriate to your Trek HT, I would give Little Pine/Santa Cruz a try. Long climb, not too steep up. Really great singletrack on the way down. Tequepis would be another good one. West Fork of Cold Springs. There's some other stuff if you start up Cold Springs trail (McMenemy, etc.) that can be explored.

A lot of the SB "mystique" is based around the fact that there are some really good trails for shuttling your big travel bike. For doing real XC riding, there's stuff out there, but you have to look. Not much of this stuff is published, but if you use Google Earth and look in the vicinity of the Cold Springs Trail you can get some ideas.

Good luck. And you may want to check out the Bike Festival at Elings Park this weekend.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    If you feel like traveling a little, SLO (San Luis) or Ventura/Oxnard have some fun stuff also.
    Enjoy every ride!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks for the ideas already - this is exactly what I need. I think you're right on the money with the shuttle comment. I usually ride alone and that deters me from attempting the bigger rides like you said.

I'm also up for a bit of a car ride if needed. Its good to hear that there's more xc riding nearby than I was thinking. Do you guys use any other websites beyond mtbr and sbmtv to find rides in the area? I know back in CT we had like three or four sites just for local trails. That made it really convenient to find things in your skill range. But out here I find its much more a shot in the dark for me.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    If there is a local SB site that has a comprehensive list of trails, I haven't found it. Part of the problem in SB is that there is a vocal group of people who want bikes off all of the front side trails. If the information about all of the trails was posted they would use that to help further their cause. One of the better ways to find out the front side stuff, is to do the Hazard's Wednesday or Friday night rides. They roll out at 6 sharp. Sergio has an encyclopedic knowledge of the local trails. The Friday rides are usually mellower than the Wednesday ride (hammerfest). And yes, +1 on heading up to SLO. Fun stuff up that way too.

OT: You coming down for the bike festival this weekend m-dub? Looks like I'm going to try and make the Dirtbag ride next Tuesday.

mtbr member

Ventura?

Quote Originally Posted by m-dub
    If you feel like traveling a little, SLO (San Luis) or Ventura/Oxnard have some fun stuff also.
    What would you recommend around Ventura?

Anyway to ride to South Mountain to the south of Santa Paula?

mtbr member
    May 2006

South Mountain

All those roads you see on South Mountain are oil well access roads. The whole north side of the mountain is a huge landslide complex, and the roads are patrolled twice daily to make sure no slide activity has broken an oil pipeline - verrrrry expensive cleanup if they don't catch it fast. In addition, as the price of oil goes up, the lease-holders get more paranoid about trespassers, so they patrol with enthusiasm. No riding to be had up there. Instead, head north of Santa Paula to Sisar, Sulphur, Gridley, Pratt, etc. Bonus points for the Sisar/Gridley/Sulphur loop.

Don't skid
    After living in SB for six years I found the riding to be a mixed bag. If you are a shuttle junkie and into rocky DH or an XC hammerhead that wants lots of climbing its great. But if you are a casual MTB'er wanting some nice XC variety, I never found it to be that great. The is no real 'network' of trails to link together. You mentioned Jesusita and Romero. Both of those are good. Camuesa is alway nice. But again those are 'up and then down' routes, with not much options. Another one you didn't mention is Arroyo Burro backside. But again, its ride up and then ride down, no options. Of course you can link alot of these trails up via Camino Cielo but then you are talking about hours in the saddle. A good map to get is one of Ray Ford's hiking maps, it has a lot of the trails maked. Just stay off the hiker only trials. You can ge tthem at Borders or SB Outfitters or any local bike shop.
    For weekend camping trips we use head up to Montana de Oro in Morro Bay. There is some nice riding there.

Elings park is always good for an evening workout. You can do roughly 6 mile loops with some variety, but it gets boring after a while. Its a great race venue though. I now live in Santa Cruz, the riding up here suits my style of riding much better (although I am starting to miss the techincal rocky stuff a little).
    The Revolution will not be motorized...especially at $5 per gallon.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I have a copy of the hiking map you are talking about. I never thought those trails would be good for mtb, though, but I should definitely give them a shot. I think you summed up pretty much how I feel kona. I am starting to get hooked on the rocky/tech stuff too - but I'm no where skilled enough to take full advantage of the all out DH rides nearby.

I really like the idea of maybe spending an extra 15-30 mins in the car to get some more challenging XC. Where abouts in Ventura would you guys recommend? I think that should be my next adventure.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I live in Solvang and have regularly been putting together bigger (5-9+ hours in the saddle) cross-country rides in the Paradise Road/Camino Cielo area for the past couple of years- there is a HUGE amount of remarkable xc riding to be discovered. Shoot me an email or PM if you're keen on getting out for a ride together, or would like specific trail info.

jb

Equal opportunity meanie
    There isn't much in the way of XC trails around CS canyon besides McMenemy and West Fork, unless you count Parma which is off limits.

Tunnel and Cold Springs aren't THAT bad, but they'd probably do worse things to that Trek HT than they'd do to you. Think of the top rockgarden on Jesusita right at the Inspiration lookout...but a lot longer.

I second the Little Pine option. Also, looping up Arroyo Burro and Snyder/Knapps is a fun one.

In Ventura, there's some cow trails up in the hills, that's about it. A lot of it oil company property. Oxnard doesn't have hills, so I don't know where that suggestion came from...

San Luis Obispo has some pretty awesome stuff too if you want to drive that far. It has basically everything.

KonainSB (Will?) - If you're in SC, and want rocks, go ride Pacifica. Link up Crack, Mile, Boyscout. Lap it a couple times if you're in pedaling shape. That's the only place I go out my way to ride up there. I found SC boring as hell (on the DH bike) and was wishing for my 6" bike the whole time.

Mt Wilson Motoboy

I guess there's always a tradeoff for living in paradise.

Pasadena has it all...
    http://www.socaltrailriders.org/gall...t=1418&ppuser=

except perfect beaches.
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"]"My people are the people of the dessert!"
    said T.E. Lawrence picking up his fork...[/SIZE]
    [/SIZE][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DHidiot
    Tunnel and Cold Springs aren't THAT bad, but they'd probably do worse things to that Trek HT than they'd do to you. Think of the top rockgarden on Jesusita right at the Inspiration lookout...but a lot longer.

I can usually handle that exact section as long as I go slow. My bigger concern is that I don't think I could handle those two without a shuttle? Or maybe I'm just misinformed?

Equal opportunity meanie
    It's the same distance across the top from Romero to Cold Springs as it is to San Ysidro (CS and SY trailheads are about 200 feet apart at the top). From there it's just more flat pedalling to get over to Tunnel, or you can climb Gibraltar Rd. Try CS first. There's some sections on Tunnel where you want to have a little speed to get through with some dropoffs and whatnot.

Don't skid
    Quote Originally Posted by DHidiot

KonainSB (Will?) - If you're in SC, and want rocks, go ride Pacifica. Link up Crack, Mile, Boyscout. Lap it a couple times if you're in pedaling shape. That's the only place I go out my way to ride up there. I found SC boring as hell (on the DH bike) and was wishing for my 6" bike the whole time.
    Ya, its me. I haven't made it to Pacifica yet. SC is definately a 6" bike paradise, that's what I like. I bought a VP Free when I moved up here but it usually just sits in the garage. I'll be up at N* soon enough though.
    So is Pacifica shuttleable or do you push up?
    The Revolution will not be motorized...especially at $5 per gallon.

Equal opportunity meanie
    Quote Originally Posted by KONA_in_SB
    Ya, its me. I haven't made it to Pacifica yet. SC is definately a 6" bike paradise, that's what I like. I bought a VP Free when I moved up here but it usually just sits in the garage. I'll be up at N* soon enough though.
    So is Pacifica shuttleable or do you push up?
    Pacifica is no shuttle. Pedal up. It's friggin easy. I can do the whole climb on my DH bike without working real hard. It's basically the same as going up Tunnel Rd. past the gate up towards Inspiration (and it's paved the whole way), just longer. To do the very top trail you gotta push up about a quarter mile. Bring the Free. It'll do great up there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    My bad on the Ventura idea. I guess its more in the Oxnard area? Sycamore Canyon near the coast on Hwy 1. I thought it was a fun trail system when I rode it.

2Turners, Good to see ya today. Finished my " skills project" Ya I will be racing DS in SB and let me know if you are riding with the Dirtbags for sure so I can flip my day around to be there.
    Enjoy every ride!

Equal opportunity meanie
    Duh, completely forgot about Sycamore. XC central and I haven't even ridden there yet.

Flaccid Member
    There is also Lange Ranch area around Thousand Oaks, just look here.

http://www.venturacountytrails.org/index.html

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks to everyone for their input. I now have a ton of trips planned out in my head. Maybe once I get all this XC stuff down I can invest in a DH bike and really enjoy the SB mtb scene.

mtbr member
    Cbrung,

I live in SLO county and am in pretty much same situation as you. I am trying to learn the trails i the area but it can get frustrating not having someone with you or a really great map. Also the trails that I have found on the central coast come in mostly one variety...big up and big down. There are a couple of rides though that are just amazing..and Montano de Oro is at the top. If you can swing up this way...PM and I will join you and show you the area. And perhaps sometime I can swing south and you can show me what you have found

Verve825,

Seems like you know all the hidden gems in the Solvang area. Never knew that there was anything there to ride at all. Would be great to hear some more about the stuff you ride..especially as it is between SB and SLO.

Thanks