Thread: Need a Light

mtbr member

Idea! Need a Light

Hey I'm new to the whole bike light thing and I was wondering what lights work well for you guys that use them? I would like something that can be attached and taken off quickly, since I would like to use the same light for my commuter and mountain bike. And I dont want to spend a ridiculous amount of money on something, I was thinking around $100 should get me something decent. Any suggestions? Please post links or pics if you can.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    100 won't get you high performance. the really good lights go for quite a lot more than that. depends on what kind of riding you want to do with the light as to whether or not a 100 dollar light will get by. for racing at night we use high end LED lights.
    My wife's website....
    Allison Mann

mtbr member
    There is a whole forum dedicated to lights on this site. Many, many to choose from. The only light that comes to mind for ~$100 is the magicshine unit. People have given mixed reports on it. As with most things you get what you pay for. I'd say expect to pay around $300.00 for a "decent" minimum light. A light is not a place to try and save money. Things come up real fast in the dark.
    Night rider makes some really small LED lights with external battery packs. But again there are many brands.

mtbr member
    I was looking at this one and they claim:

"250 lumens is plenty bright for a bar light during night races, and more than enough for daily commuting duties"

Anyone have experience with it?

I <3 Dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by XRC800
    I was looking at this one and they claim:

"250 lumens is plenty bright for a bar light during night races, and more than enough for daily commuting duties"

Anyone have experience with it?
    250 lumens is plenty bright if you don't want to win a race, but for $89 you can get 900 lumens. It's amazing to me that people still pay top dollar for some of these lights when you can get a magicshine for 1/4 of the price per lumen. If beam quality, overall quality and bling are important than I'd go with Lupine.

mtbr member
    Ya see, this is where the debate begins. And again it has been beat to f'in death in the Light forum.
    No experience with that particular NR unit. I'd say 250-300 Lumens MINIMUM for the road and 400 minimum for offroad. But more importantly how is the light distributed, spot, flood, distorted?? Lumens are the mfg rating and these numbers can be inaccurate. Just for loose reference in my opinion.
    Think you can still pick up those magicshine units on deal-extreme for under 100$

Your best bet is to find some lights you can see operate at night. Local bike club, find someone through the forum or whatever. This way you can compare the "cordless" unit with a real light. Well actually there is no real comparison. Maybe you have eyes like an owl or have poor night vision like me and need 1000 lumens.
    Last edited by deano machineo; 11-09-2010 at 12:23 PM.

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    +1 for the magicshine. i'm lovin' mine. and if you get it from geoman, he gives great customer service and backs up the product.

mtbr member
    Didn't think Geoman was still peddling the magic shine.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    magicshine from geomangear - LOVE mine (but using my own battery)!!!!!

from his site:

GeoManGear has temporarily discontinued sales of Magicshine lightsets due to our concerns regarding the quality of Magicshine's lithium-ion battery packs. We are working with the manufacturer to quickly resolve these issues and will begin selling Magicshine products again after we have obtained a high-quality battery pack for our customers. If you wish to be notified when we have new Magicshine or comparable lightsets available, please click here to place your name on our waiting list.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Build your own. Not really that hard. I built an 8x xpe that puts out over 1000 lumens for under $200. I've had it side by side with the Magic shine and it puts it to shame. The magicshine is a decent entry level light but it does NOT put out the claimed 900 lumens. I see you're in TO. Send me a IM and maybe we can hook up so you can see it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Not sure why you would recomend a guy spend $300 for a light when he states he is new to biking? I have a magicshine unit and my friend rides with two. All purchased from geoman. This is our second season with them - we ride every week. For $100 you can not go wrong. I would wait until they have the battery issue worked out (or get your own - it is not that difficult). You can also build your own if you want - i run with a home built unit on my helmet and a magic shine on my bars. If I had to do it over - I would have bought two magicshines. You do not need anymore light than two of them put out.

mtbr member
    looks like the Magic shine is a nice choice, not sure I want to hassle with building one but maybe some day if I get more serious with night riding. I wonder what the issue is with the battery? Hopefully the replacement will be dependable enough.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    +1 for Magicshine.

Some of my riding buddies have it and they're super bright for 90bux. I'd like to pick one up in the near future.

Right now I'm using a NiteRider Minewt 110 lumens, they were on sale for 50bux so I thought..why not! I used it for the second time last night. It's bright enough for climbing but not so much on going downhill.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Built my own, around $275 each including mounts, batteries, and charger - around 530 lumens each per the Cree calculator. Learned everything from the light forum on this site. They're also waterproof and extremely light. Raced a 25 hr race using them and much of the time used one on the low (50% output or so) setting, only used both on high for the downhills. Run time is over 5 hours on high with 14.8v Li Ion packs.

Anyway, that's an example of what you can do with some learning and a little amateur design skill.