aka Yertle D Turtle

Need info on the La Tuna Loop

Hi, I'm going to do the La Tuna loop tomorrow with some friends. I've never gone down the single track. I could use some heads up on how to find the single track, and are there two different single tracks. Impy mentioned that there is one to the right & one to the left, I'm not sure what she is talking about. Thanks for your help.

donna
    Aoccdnirg to rcesaerh at Cmbarigde Uneirvtisy, it deson't mttaer waht oredr the lteters in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the fsirt and lsat ltteer be at the rhgit pclae.

cask conditioned
    What she meant was that there are various 'side action' singletracks that lead off mostly from the left side of the fireroad as your traverse the top of the Verdugos. Most of the time they're very steep and fun, but lately they've been rutty and scary. La Tuna s.t. is a few miles down the fireroad, as you're traversing West. When the downhill becomes steeper and the ridgeline stays on your left for a while, start looking on the right for the start of the singletrack on the outside of a left hand curve. If you reach a major intersection with another fireroad you've gone too far.
    Buy a bell, help the trails....

http://www.corbamtb.com/store/store.shtml

where are we eating?

a.k.a. MTBMaven
    I've never actually ridden the trail but did some trail work on it a few weekends ago. If you take the fireroad from the nature center you will see a fork with a road forking off to your hard left, keep going straight. After a bit more climbing you will hit a three way junction, go to your right. Stay on this road till you see a singel track trail on your left. The entrance to the trail was widdened and should be very easy to see now. The first few miles of the trail were worked on, down to the first switchback. There was another group working futher down the trail. I didn't see where they were working or what they were working on. I was told there was a downed tree in the canyon. Have a good ride should be nice out there.

cask conditioned
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnfiend
    I've never actually ridden the trail but did some trail work on it a few weekends ago. If you take the fireroad from the nature center you will see a fork with a road forking off to your hard left, keep going straight. After a bit more climbing you will hit a three way junction, go to your right. Stay on this road till you see a singel track trail on your left. The entrance to the trail was widdened and should be very easy to see now. The first few miles of the trail were worked on, down to the first switchback. There was another group working futher down the trail. I didn't see where they were working or what they were working on. I was told there was a downed tree in the canyon. Have a good ride should be nice out there.
    That's not part of 'the loop.' Most people climb Hostetter and drop La Tuna.
    Last edited by endo verendo; 03-31-2005 at 02:11 PM.

where are we eating?

Big Drops
    Nov 2004
    Check out link for a map of the area. Map can be further expanded by single clicking on the area of interest.

http://www.verdugohillshike.org/hike_map.html

IMO Hostetter is going to be your best start/end point if you want to keep your ride to around 1 - 1.5 hours. Ample parking at La Tuna Canyon Rd/210. Just be aware of cars when riding La Tuna asphalt at the end of the singletrack run.
    Huck Maestro

cask conditioned
    Quote Originally Posted by Downhill Dawg
    Check out link for a map of the area. Map can be further expanded by single clicking on the area of interest.

http://www.verdugohillshike.org/hike_map.html

IMO Hostetter is going to be your best start/end point if you want to keep your ride to around 1 - 1.5 hours. Ample parking at La Tuna Canyon Rd/210. Just be aware of cars when riding La Tuna asphalt at the end of the singletrack run.
    Oops, did I say Beaudry? I meant Hostetter, thanks for pointing that out. I edited my previous post.

Oh, and yeah, watch out for rear view mirrors grazing your elbow on La Tuna Rd.

where are we eating?

aka Yertle D Turtle

Thanks everybody,

We finally did find the single track. It was a great ride. And you are right about those cars grazing the elbows, yikes give the the dirt anytime I don't know how the roadies do it!
    donna

Quote Originally Posted by endo verendo
    Oops, did I say Beaudry? I meant Hostetter, thanks for pointing that out. I edited my previous post.

Oh, and yeah, watch out for rear view mirrors grazing your elbow on La Tuna Rd.
    Aoccdnirg to rcesaerh at Cmbarigde Uneirvtisy, it deson't mttaer waht oredr the lteters in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the fsirt and lsat ltteer be at the rhgit pclae.

cask conditioned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtnbikenmama
    I don't know how the roadies do it!
    I roadie too, but I never feel as uncomfortable on any LA road as I do when I'm riding up La Tuna Cyn. There's something about cars going uphill at 70mph and thinking the shoulder is a bike lane.

Glad to hear you enjoyed the loop.

where are we eating?