BH1
    mtbr member

need help w/ Mammoth lodging options...

I am in need of some information beyond the vague info on all the websites for lodging at Mammoth. I guess what I need are some opinions from ppl who have actually stayed up there since this will be my first trip.

I'm looking for a decent place to sleep 6-8 adults, and within riding distance of the lift. The only info I could find is some hit or miss websites that functioned poorly with varying vacancy results and no rates. Any and all info is appreciated!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    im totally drawing a blank on places to stay in mammoth. I have stayed in condo's that are close to canyon lodge but i dont know if that is open for biking in the summer. and that also might be a little pricey. ill try and think of more places and post back if i think of anything good

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I've stayed at the Village Lodge, in a one bedroom condo with a fully stocked (utensils) kitchen. It was very nice and there was plenty to do after the ride in the village. It can become quite loud on the weekends with all the bars. I was directly above Lakanuki (sp). The shuttle picks you up right there in the village.

If you're going 8 ways, a two bedroom may suffice. The only downfall when you have eight people is waiting in line for the one bathroom.

It was pricey but bringing all your groceries for your stay saves a lot of money eating out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    There are tons of condos, houses and a number of reservation agencies at Mammoth. Lots of them are set up for big groups, with multiple beds in the bedrooms and hide beds in lofts and living rooms. All depends on how much money you want to spend, and how you define riding distance to the lifts.

What I'd suggest is first checking Mammoth's web site to see what lifts are running, then getting google's map of mammoth up on your computer. Then hit the telephone so you can talk to live people.

As far as I can see from their web site, they are only running the gondola from the main lodge. If you stay down in their "village" near downtown Mammoth, you have to ride or shuttle to the main lodge. There are a lot of older condos and houses up towards Twin Lakes. If you look at a map, that's roughly the area between Canyon Blvd and Lake Mary Road, west of the golf course. Score a place in this area and you could pretty much coast down to the village, and ride the resort shuttle up to the main lodge. At the end of the day, the village and downtown is downhill from the mountain.

Phil from San Diego
    I've always staied in the Mammoth Mountain Inn. I guess that's the Main Lodge? Depends on when you go, the prices isn't really that high. Being right by the gondolas, nothing is more convienent.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I'd suggest one of the condos by Canyon Lodge. It is off the beaten part (somewhat) and probably cheaper than staying near the main lodge. You can not ride to the top from Canyon Lodge, but you can ride down to the downtown area and get a shuttle up from there, or you can ride uptown to the main lodge (great ride) or you can ride up big ring to paperroute to uptown to the main lodge.

Check out 1800Mammoth for reservations. They run a large chunk of the condos up there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Motel 6, its cheap! Its in a good location, resuraunts, etc. Also its only a little ride to the Village where you can take the bike shuttle to the lifts. I would stay there again in a heart beat. The main lodge at Mammoth looked really nice too.

BH1
    mtbr member
    awesome! thank you all for the info. I'm going to start making phone calls, but this gives me an idea of where I think we should stay.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    sounds like yer covered. else.. Google "Mammoth" and "condos" and you will be provided with a veritable plethora of well priced lodging options.

got my reservation for opening weekend. be within stumbling distance to The Tap. can't fuggin' wait.
    It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own.

- Cicero

mtbr member
    You can find some insane lodging deals thru vrbo. I'm also drawing a blank on the the names of the last few places we stayed. But get a condo near "The Village" and you'll be well-placed for either catching the shuttle (free with purchase of bike pass) or climbing Uptown. Coast trails back to your condo at the end of the day-- it's GREAT. Check out Mammoth's new Interactive trail map.

Last summer we rented a cavernous older barn-like condo somewhere just NE of The Village. Three levels, fireplace, family of curious racoons under the steps-- my kids thought they were in paradise. And it was silly cheap.
    Never give up, never surrender.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I usually go with the Motel 6 in the summer. With a group of 8 though I'd take a closer look at condos around.

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    I just booked a couple of nights at the brand new Westin Monache. Good deals now because it's new. I'm going late June. I hope snow doesn't keep too many trails closed.

----------------
    Aug 2006
    Seasons Four condos are great. Stayed there last summer. Lots of different types of rooms including ones that can easily sleep 8. Within riding/walking distance from the Village and they have a humongous spa. Relatively inexpensive too. Here's the link:

http://www.seasons4.com/
    "Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."