mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm Need great UST rear tire for SoCal xc. Suggest your favorite.

Here I go again...I have gone through 2 Maxxis hi rollers quickly--unlucky puncture near bead and tread peeling off the other. Rears. The tire grips/climbs great especially on the loose dry stuff. Want to try something more "durable" I guess. Not a racer. 5" travel. What do we suggest? And what about running a non ust? I'm running a piece of crap right now till I decide. The nevegals are suggested by friends. Appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I have had good luck with the Nevegals. They have come down in price as well, at least at performance.

Was that a Bobcat?
    I like the WTB Weirwolfs.... they run awesome for a rear tire in San Diego
    Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

http://www.travbuddy.com/widget_map_...php?id=3291361

BMF
    Oct 2007
    I have been running Nevegals and they are great around San Diego. A riding buddy is running the Telonix (Hans Rey Kenda signature tire) and also very happy with them around here.

Another couple months and I will have worn out my Nevegal at which time I plan to try the Conti Mtn King so I will have feedback on it down the road a bit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailBuzzd
    Here I go again...I have gone through 2 Maxxis hi rollers quickly--unlucky puncture near bead and tread peeling off the other. Rears. The tire grips/climbs great especially on the loose dry stuff. Want to try something more "durable" I guess. Not a racer. 5" travel. What do we suggest? And what about running a non ust? I'm running a piece of crap right now till I decide. The nevegals are suggested by friends. Appreciate it.
    Wow what are you doing to your tires? I ride HR's on my 5" bike just like you and thay last me a whole season with multiple trips to bootleg to ride XC/AM with some little drops trown in. Michelin has nice UST tires suited for so-cal terrain give them a looksey.

Glad to Be Alive
    if you are tearing up HR I would get a michelin 24....about the same weight as the tire you are running....holds up great in socal conditions...I use this tire on my DH bike
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Ya, right.
    Either the Nevegal or a 2.35 Maxxis Ignitor. Works great!
    I hope you have a big trunk... 'cuz I'm puttin' my bike in it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristatos
    I have been running Nevegals and they are great around San Diego. A riding buddy is running the Telonix (Hans Rey Kenda signature tire) and also very happy with them around here.

Another couple months and I will have worn out my Nevegal at which time I plan to try the Conti Mtn King so I will have feedback on it down the road a bit.
    I tried a Mtn King 2.4 SuperSonic at Mission Trails tonight. I installed it on the front in place of a 2.3 Nevegal that I didn't trust. I was amazed at how well the front stuck even though I was running 35psi.

I'm still a bit concerned with the durability of the SuperSonic so I'll be lowering the pressure a bit at a time. I'm also going to try running it tubeless on Stans Arch rims when my wheelset arrives this week. I have another on back order at Black Mountain for the rear. They're pretty hard to find right now!

Kevin

mtbr member

Thanks

Thanks everybody for the suggestions...decisions decisions.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DSDuke
    Either the Nevegal or a 2.35 Maxxis Ignitor. Works great!
    If he is ripping through HR he would destroy an Ignitor, those things are condoms. If he was a lighter riding rider I would of suggested the Ignitor also. Michey 24's!