Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Need advice for San Diego

I am visitng San Diego this weekend and wanted to get some riding in on Saturday.

I was going to rent a bike at North of the Border but they only allow riding at Los Penasquitos Canyon or they charge $150.00 to take the bike elswhere.

From what I have read Los Penasquitos is not that challanging so Im not sure if that is the place to ride.

I was thinking if there was somewhere else to rent a decent Mountain bike I would go to the Mission hills trail system.

If anyone knows other shops with decent renatlas or has better info on Los Penasquitos I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Can't help you with bike rentals but how would North of the Border know exactly where you're taking the bike to ride? Penasquitos is NOT very challenging but IMO, it's still alot more fun than Mission Trails. MT is probably my least favorite place to ride in SD. I'd go out to Nobel Cyn if I only had (1) day to ride in SD.

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    You can look here for some suggestions for trails: MountainBikeBill's Mountain biking Trail Reviews, Videos and Pictures

Also, you could post this on dirttreaders.com, since they're San Diego-based.
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
    [QUOTE=rjr19146;10096551

From what I have read Los Penasquitos is not that challanging so Im not sure if that is the place to ride.

I was thinking if there was somewhere else to rent a decent Mountain bike I would go to the Mission hills trail system.

[/QUOTE]

In my opinion, PQ >> Mission Trails. especially if you don't really know your way around.

PQ is not that challenging. there are some options that can actually make it very fun but some of those options are of questionable access status so i won't publish them here. However, there still are a lot of options that are more than just the north and south side trails that can give you decent climbing and some ST descents.

MT is not very biker friendly. the trails from one side of the park to the other are all old Jeep trails and are super steep and not very fun. there's not really enough mileage to put together a good fun ride unless you cross the Fortuna saddle which pretty much just sucks. it's a decent place to get your workout in if you're local but it's far from anything I'd recommend to anybody visiting. there used to be plenty of fun ST but most of those trails entered a military base and the military recently started patrolling with more effort effectively closing the trails from us.

if I had one place to ride in san diego, I'd hit Daley ranch. but ti's about a 25 minute drive from North of the Border.

Noble Canyon would be the must visit ride but it's a good hour plus drive and to do it properly it's an all day event made more difficult if you are on a solo ride and don't really know where to go.

Ninja Master Powers
    Yeah, I just put in 15 miles of mostly single track at Mission Trails yesterday.

The weather was perfect, the dirt was perfect.

MTRP really sucks don't go there…

I'm your density
    Agree with what Yeti Rider said. The West side of MT has a few fun trails but you only get about 6-7 miles before doing repeats. Not really a destination for a one-day visit. Noble/Laguna will eat up most of your day and it's supposed to be cold & wet up there this weekend.

Black Mountain is fairly close to PQ and is more fun/challenging. Check out this thread for some ideas. The Racers & Chasers link has interesting routes. Hope you enjoy your stay!
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    — Ty Webb

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks for the advice. Found another shop that rents so may go there and head to black mountain

BMF
    Oct 2007
    It's not San Diego but I know The Path in Orange County has a pretty good rental fleet of full-suspension bikes and there is always the San Juan Trail - lots of fun, easy to get to and hard to get lost! About an hour north of 'north of the border'.

If you find a decent full-sus mtn bike rental in San Diego please let us know where you did as that would be helpful info indeed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Mission trails has plenty of good stuff. Avoid the fortuna peak area. Park at equestrian center off of Mast blvd and head west to the service road, and then north up the valley. Find the single track. Explore that valley and one valley west. Respect the signs about access to certain areas.

Los Penasquitos has some decent stuff too but tends to be flatter (unless you climb up into the Del Mar Mesa area). Still fun Single Track and a bit of fire road but, less technically challenging and less aerobically challenging. However, as a jumping off point to access Del Mar Mesa, and from there the San Dieguito River Park area, it's a nice spot.

Daley Ranch is nice too. More variety than either of the afformentioned and more potential for climbing. Feels more remote and will be a little less crowded once you get into the park. West side of the park has the most terrain and the better single track.

Black Mountain has some strenuous climbing that I think sort of interferes with the flow and fun.

If you're based in San Diego and pressed for time, I'd hit up Mission Trails first. Possible to get 14 miles with no overlap if you know the area or are willing to explore. A little easy to get lost in the canyons so bring a GPS. Lots of nice riders willing to point you in the right direction or help out if you have a technical problem.

mtbr member
    There's a reason they chose black mtn to do an enduro. It's fun! It will also kick your ass one way or another. I love it!

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
    Quote Originally Posted by DWill View Post
    Yeah, I just put in 15 miles of mostly single track at Mission Trails yesterday.
    100% Legal singletrack?

I never said there wasn't ST to ride. but for the most part it's not officially legal to ride. certainly not 15 miles worth of legal singletrack.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    PQ canyon will probably be closed this weekend anyway. We've got rain today, tomorrow and Saturday. It does not take very much for them to close it. Lake Hodges from the 15 to the dam can be fun. It's not challenging but it should be open.

I'm your density
    Quote Originally Posted by shooten View Post
    PQ canyon will probably be closed this weekend anyway. We've got rain today, tomorrow and Saturday. It does not take very much for them to close it.
    It will be closed according to the ranger:

Well, we had one day of all the trails being open…It has started to rain here and with the trails already being as wet as they are we made the decision to close all the trails. The National Weather Service is calling for rain through Sunday, so the trails will be closed through the weekend for sure and possibly into next week. I will let you know of any changes.

Gina Washington
    Senior Park Ranger
    City of San Diego, Open Space Division
    (858) 538-8066
    (858) 536-8334 FAX

TRAIL STATUS REPORT
    LOS PEÑASQUITOS CANYON, CARMEL MOUNTAIN & DEL MAR MESA PRESERVES

Date: January 24, 2013
    All Trails Closed
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    — Ty Webb

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I am here and it is raining. Is Daley ranch or black mountain rideable after a rain? Or in the rain?

Or should I cancel the car and bike rental?

There's only a 30% chance of rain tomorrow so how will the trails be in those places?

Ugh

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    The San Juan Trail will be in great shape tomorrow (well, maybe some mud if you go through the meadow on top).

MountainBikeBill's Mountain biking Trail Reviews, Videos and Pictures

It might be a bit of a drive for you (an hourish?) but you won't be disappointed!
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    San Juan it is then!

Thanks

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    ^^ Awesome! Be aware that you're supposed to have an Adventure Pass to park at the trailhead, but it costs the same as the ticket--$5.

I can "guide" you up if you're interested (although it's pretty basic), just shoot me a PM. The most basic route involves climbing about 7 miles up to Cocktail Rock, then most people do the upper loop clockwise for a bonus 5 miles. But the meadow area on top will probably be muddy. I would recommend that once you get to Cocktail Rock that you take a right behind the boulders and follow the trail (much more chunky with short ups and downs) for a few miles, then just turn around when you stop having fun. Dress warm, especially for the descent!

Doug
    Last edited by dirtvert; 01-25-2013 at 05:04 PM.
    Why?

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    Russ- Thanks again for a really fun ride yesterday. I checked the stats, and it's about 2400 ft of climbing just to Cocktail Rock. I think you surprised yourself!
    Why?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thank you!! That was an awesome ride!! If you are in PA shoot me a message!

That rental has me with serious new bike envy.

If anyone is looking for good rentals B&L Bike and Board had a sweet Stumpjumper 29er for 65.00 a day and no trail restrictions.

Thanks again Doug!

CTB
    mtbr member
    Hi there. I'll hopefully be doing this same thing over Easter weekend - visiting the San Diego area, with a day that I'd like to set aside for a bike rental/ride. San Juan looks great, though I'm sure it will tax my abilities. I like a challenge, but I've also spent my entire mountain biking life in a place with no mountains (Michigan). Am I biting off more than I can chew (esp in winter shape) with San Juan? I'm not a good climber or jumper, but I love fast, flowing trails with descents. Doug and Russ, any thoughts? Any help or opinions would be great. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    If you're a poor climber, I'd suggest shuttling SJT if you can to increase the fun:suffer ratio.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Hey CTB,
    The climb up San Juan was awesome. The switchbacks are not overly steep but it is a long climb. 7 miles and 2600 ft of elevation (I think)

San Juan was like an hour and 15 minutes from San Diego but well worth the drive.

I can't tell you whether it's for you, you might surprise yourself, but the trail up and down was awesome

Have fun and definitely ride

CTB
    mtbr member
    There are some really good videos of the trail. I know I'd eat up the downhill part as far as enjoyment (I live for the few fast descents we have around here), and there were many videos of that. I did find one person who uploaded the climb through the switchbacks. It looks like nothing I can't handle, just a lot of granny gearing. I think my bigger problem will be that I have a history of not getting out of clipless pedals fast enough to dab, so hopefully I can get something with cages on a rental bike. I learned this lesson the hard way in Sedona, so I don't want to repeat that. I can get out of clips quickly, and they provide the pedaling/attachment benefits of clipless. Plus I have pads now...

I have a friend in Santa Ana that I hope will join me. Otherwise, I may try and find someone local, just for safety's sake. Thanks for the feedback!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I brought my pedals with me so that is something to consider. The switchbacks are lots of fun in both directions. I actually navigated them better on the way up

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    I would just add that you have a month to get ready, right?! If you can get some long rides in before then, I would encourage you to try the climb. All the people that I've guided up have really enjoyed the accomplishment. Most of it is just a steady climb, and you have the advantage of knowing the trail when you turn around. Good luck!
    Why?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast