Whiskey Wheels

Need a 50mm stem

To get my wife's bike dialed in. Took a look at the new Thompson X4 and it's been made into a DH stem; and the RF was a similar chunk of alloy. Saw some svelte Syntace units but all had the small handlebar clamp; we need a 30.9.
    Had a Thompson 50mm on my 2010 LTc but sold it
    Look through your stuff and if you've got an older Thompson or another decent 50mm x 30.9 x 1 1/8 stem and you don't mind parting with it, let's make a deal.
    SingleTracks and SingleMalts... mm mm good!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CanyunRider View Post
    To get my wife's bike dialed in. Took a look at the new Thompson X4 and it's been made into a DH stem; and the RF was a similar chunk of alloy. Saw some svelte Syntace units but all had the small handlebar clamp; we need a 30.9.
    Look through your stuff and if you've got an older Thompson or another decent 50mm x 30.9 x 1 1/8 stem and you don't mind parting with it, let's make a deal.
    I know what you mean. If you think a 60mm will be ok, they are much easier to find, much cheaper and from what I have, they are lighter too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I think you mean 31.8 bar clamp. And, numerous component manufacturers make 50 mm stems.
    '14 rocky mountain altitude, rally edition
    '11 transition blindside

mtbr member

Hope

Hope makes the light XC stem in 50mm with zero or 25 degree rise.

Whiskey Wheels

Hope...

Quote Originally Posted by slowrider View Post
    Hope makes the light XC stem in 50mm with zero or 25 degree rise.
    Thanks for the suggestion, never considered them. They make nice looking stuff but ever since I got rid of a set of brakes ( I always had to "hope" they worked) I just overlooked them. Nothing mechanical about a stem...
    Syntace also makes a nice, light x/c unit but hard to find. Other major brands like RF and Thompson are easy to find but all have gone to FR/DH style.
    SingleTracks and SingleMalts... mm mm good!

fly on the wall
    Nov 2010
    If you guys can live with a 40 or 60mm instead, these have been on sale for a while. I picked one up for my 29er. It's just a stem, not much more to be said.

Truvativ Hussefelt Stem 2012 at Price Point

And I'm not sure what bars come in 30.9, but if that's a typo, the above stem comes in the 31.8mm size.

mtbr member

Bit heavy

Quote Originally Posted by Zuarte View Post
    If you guys can live with a 40 or 60mm instead, these have been on sale for a while. I picked one up for my 29er. It's just a stem, not much more to be said.

Truvativ Hussefelt Stem 2012 at Price Point

And I'm not sure what bars come in 30.9, but if that's a typo, the above stem comes in the 31.8mm size.
    If the Thompson DH stem is too heavy for him I think that one is probably too heavy as well. The Thompson DH stem isn't very heavy but is only available in 0 rise while the Hope is available in 25 degree which is what I like about it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CanyunRider View Post

Here u go. Many sizes and lighter than Thompson.

Universal Cycles -- Syntace Megaforce 2 Stem

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Renthal Duo stem comes in 50mm with 10 degree rise and costs the same as a Thomson.

Slap happy crappiness
    I have a very lightly used Renthal Duo in 50mm that I could part with. PM me and we'll go from there if you're interested in it.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.