Thread: Near Redlands

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Near Redlands

Does anyone live anywhere near the Redlands/Highland area?

JB

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by jagboy
    Does anyone live anywhere near the Redlands/Highland area?

JB
    I'm a few thousand feet above Highland in Crestline.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

Tree Hugger
    Jul 2005

Sorta

I'm a couple hundred feet lower and 20 miles away by car in Riverside. It's less as the crow flies, but we're not crows.
    --------------------------------------

Live Your Life
    www.birthdaychallenge.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    What are the best trails that you guys know about around here? My neighbor seems to like the Santa Ana River Trail, but I don't drive yet and usually go up to closer trails.

JB

Tree Hugger
    Jul 2005

Mentone or Highland

I don't know exactly where they are, but I know there are a few trails in the hills directly behind Highland. I would check the canyons and see what trails you can find. Some exploring is pretty fun too, so that should be fun.

Another option is the trails in the Mentone Wash. They're within riding distance, but you will be spending some time on the road and Greenspot is not the most fun road for riding on because it's narrow and the cars sometimes go very fast. But, there is some singletrack on the East side just south of where Greenspot crosses the wash for Mill Creek. This option would probably take some exploring as well to find all the options, but there are a lot of variations on those trails.

Good luck.

~Reed

Live Your Life

Tree Hugger
    Jul 2005

Oops, forgot Crafton and Hulda Crooks

Closer to Redlands is the trails near Crafton College. You can access a fireroad by entering the college off of 5th st. and then turning left at the golf course on an access road. This becomes a fireroad just after the golf course and you can follow it for a few miles. There are some singletrack offshoots, including one off the very end that will help you end up in the wash in Mentone. Again this would require some exploring to find all the options.

Also, Hulda Crooks in Loma Linda has a number of fun trails. You head out barton road to Loma Linda and turn left on Mountain View. The park is at the end of Mountain View. If you are there on a weekday afternoon or weekend morning you might run into other cyclists who can show you the trails they like. There are lots of variations here as well, so I would recommend exploring.

None of the trails I've mentioned are nearly as good as the Santa Ana River Trail, but they are all options that are considerably closer. Again, good luck.

~Reed

Live Your Life

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I'm going in with my parents on a GPS system and hopefully I can find some downloadable trails. I'll hopefully be able to save any trails that I find as well. One of my friends and I just got back from a nice ride up a road that leads to the Seven Oaks Dam. We went 7 miles uphill then decided to turn around. Downhill is fun (even though I'm a wimp and use my brakes a lot) but there are water drainage gutters that go across the road every couple hundred feet. Fun to go over, but they are all different and some are a lot steeper than others.

How is the SART? I've never been but will probably go within the next couple weeks.

JB

Tree Hugger
    Jul 2005

Rides

You can do a forum search for Santa Ana River Trail or SART and get lots of info about it. It's a very good trail and there are a number of options.

I don't know what road you rode to get to the Seven Oaks Dam, but it you came from Mill Creek Canyon you passed a turn off for the fire tower at the top of Morton Peak. There is some really good single track that takes off to the left a few hundred feet before you get to the fire tower. It is probably 5-7 miles long, has some technical sections and dumps you out in the Mentone Wash. I haven't ridden it in about a year, so it might be in pretty bad condition right about now, but I don't think that should stop anyone.

Good luck with your explorations.

~Reed

Live Your Life

mtbr member
    I grew up out there and rode the area a lot back in the day. As mentioned, the trail from Crafton Hills College is worth riding, works pretty well as an out and back up to the top. Fireroad with lots of switchbacks and a few offshoots, a couple ridgelines to explore. I always had the most fun out in Loma Linda that you can access from Hilda Crooks park, or whatever it's called. From big drainage basin next to the park, it's pretty easy to figure out to go, just take the main fireroad and take your pick of any trails off the side. Stay on the main fireroad and as it deteriorates you'll get to the old "Jedi" trail (anyone know what kind of shape that is in?). Quite a few ridgelines and fast stuff out there. Sometimes you can find some creative lines or just blaze down some steep stuff. You can explore those trails for quite a while heading pretty much West once you get up to the top. An old SOB hill called "Mother." Lots of up and downs, but some cool flowy lines.

If anyone rides that area much, I'd love to hear how things are out there and if those Loma Linda trails are still getting much use. I'm in San Diego now and always debate whether to bring a bike when visiting my folks out there. Had a lot of fun riding those trails growing up getting into mountain biking. Always fun post ride to pedal as fast as you can at the big grass slope at Hilda Crooks park and bunny hop like crazy and try to air down the whole thing followed by a giant grass skid. FUN

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Okay, I'm only a year late on this thread.

The Loma Linda trails are getting a lot of use. Lots of use by motorcycles too. So the bad news is a lot of the trail is soft (sandy). Good news is there's a number of new options. Lots of jumps have been added, as well as some singletrack off the top above the Jedi. The Jedi is a little tore up, it's still fast and fun, just not as technical.

The worst of the sand is at the beginning up the main canyon. I usually avoid it and go to the right. I take the road that goes up to the Hulda Crooks parking lot. Make a left off of it past the parking lot and you'll take a dirt road. A few hundred yards in you'll make a left and then have a good 3/4 mile climb. Then a nice little downhill back to the main trail through the canyon and most of the sand is avoided.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I'm going in with my parents on a GPS system and hopefully I can find some downloadable trails. I'll hopefully be able to save any trails that I find as well. One of my friends and I just got back from a nice ride up a road that leads to the Seven Oaks Dam. We went 7 miles uphill then decided to turn around. Downhill is fun (even though I'm a wimp and use my brakes a lot) but there are water drainage gutters that go across the road every couple hundred feet. Fun to go over, but they are all different and some are a lot steeper than others.

How is the SART? I've never been but will probably go within the next couple weeks.

JB
    I'm in Yucaipa & try to hit SART every weekend usually Sat's. A good buddy of mine lives in Highland & heads out w/me sometimes. Let me know if you're interested.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Funny you should ask....

JB
    I rode that very trail for the 1st time last Saturday (Seven Oaks Dam). Tough uphill that's for sure. I ran out of sunlight and headed back down. The drainage gutters are fun, if you have a good sus. fork ...

I live in East Highlands Ranch in the general area of Church/Highland and there are quite a few random trails up behind the new subdivisions.

I heard the SART is one of the best trails in So Cal. I'm going to ride it in a couple weeks. I'll invite you then as long as there's adequate parental permission, of course.

SU