Kam
    A hopped on pop.

My Labor Day ride, West Fork/Rincon Loop, w/ pics.

so, i rode the west fork/rincon loop yesterday, solo (as are 99% of the miles i ride). the ride is about 31 miles, and has about 3400 ft of climbing. it's a great ride for intermediate riders looking to do a longer tougher ride. it's also a good intro ride to the san gabriels. the ride is 100% fire road, there is no singletrack. but, there is a long, fast decent at the end of the ride. if you do this ride, bring plenty of water, there is none on the ride.

this was taken 1 mile into the ride. sorry it's blurred, i was riding at about 12mph when i took it;

the fist 7 miles or so of the "trail" are paved, with a nice canopy of trees and rock walls;

there is a nice creek that runs along the paved rode. i saw 2 deers in the first 3 miles, they are tough to photograph;

the ride continues past a campground (Glenn Campground) and you get to a 1/2 mile, steep climb to cogswell dam;

here's a look back from the direction i came from, while on the dam;

the climbing get abit more "strenuous" after the dam. and, the trail is now a gravel fire road, here's a quick look back at cogswell;

the trails hugs along the mtn side, and you get bits of the sun on you, most of the time, you're in the shade (thank God, it was a hot one this past Mon);

you'll keep climbing 'til you hit a gate, as this point, you make a sharp left after the gate, and head up rincon. there is about 2000ft of climbing in the 8-9 miles from the Glenn Camground to this gateyou can see the trail along the hillside and cogswell dam down below;

more climbing and here's a blurred shot of mt wilson. the white dome is a 100ft telescope;

a look below towards the basin...azusa, i think;

abit of a rollercoaster type ride on rincon, and then the true downhill begins. here's a shot of the downhill ahead of me;

and a shot from the bottom of the downhill on rincon;

from the bottom of the downhill, i did a short spin to my car up hwy 39. hope you all enjoyed the pics. this is the first time i took a digi camera on a ride. they've made alot of changes to these forum, so hopefully these pics all show up. cheers!

p.s., here is some blurred single speed content;

Bike Whore
    Mar 2004
    Been meaning to check out Rincon.

I was watching the news and they were talking about how the wildlife population out there has increased in recent years with bears and lions coming down to drink from people swimming pools. A good thing to see the wildlife return and survive

Any lion sitings out there?
    Last edited by frankenbike; 09-07-2004 at 01:02 PM.

Kam
    A hopped on pop.

only 2 deer...

i saw 2 deer on the paved west fork portion, by the creekside. i did see alot of animal droppings after cogswell up to rincon. like every 1/2 mile there was some kind of crap...and it wasn't small either.

i had a flat between cogswell dam and rincon intersect...i was looking over my shoulder and making alot of noise quite often.

cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by frankenbike
    Been meaning to check out Rincon.

I was watching the news and they were talking about how the wildlife population out there has increased in recent years with bears and lions coming down to drink from people swimming pools. A good thing to see the wildlife return and survive

Any lion sitings out there?

mtbr member

sweet

the fist 7 miles or so of the "trail" are paved, with a nice canopy of trees and rock walls;

I take my kids up there once in a while to do those paved 7 miles.

120 pounds of xc sex!

?

Was this of Azusa? Looks fun, you covered a ton of that fireroad!
    Team X-poser is back for 2006-

WTB; 1.25 inch tow rack in SoCal

>Ankur<

Kam
    A hopped on pop.

yes...

from azusa, drive up hwy 39, pass east fork and the rincon ranger station. about 1 mile after the rincon station, you'll see a large lot off the left side, park there. you'll see a turnstyle gate at the west fork entrance. it's hard to get lost on this ride.

cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by carbnjunkie
    Was this of Azusa? Looks fun, you covered a ton of that fireroad!

Just another Homer
    At the beginning of summer before school let out I went up to do this ride by myself.As I was climbing a forestry truck was on the way down.They stopped as I was going by and asked if I was riding alone.I told them I was, and they told me it would be better to ride with others and to stay in a close group.I questioned them and was told that there had been an agressive bear in the area and a number of mountain lion sightings.That's all it took for me,I turned around went down the street and climbed Glendora mountain road.The little part of the ride I did (most of the asphalt) was really nice.

Kam
    A hopped on pop.

hey pain freak...

i think i've met you before, at chino hills s.p. it was awhile ago though, i saw your pic and you looked really familiar. you post at socalmtb.com too, right? man, you guys do some ultra epic rides man!!! when i met you at chino, you were talking about 24 hr racing, it was just after idyllwild, and ou were telling us how you team did. i was riding a light blue custom steel ss, you were on a turner o2 or burner, and told me you had a surly 1x1.

anyways, i think i'll stay away from a ride like this, solo atleast. after cogswell, the trail is kind of isolated, and there aren't alot of people who use it. i think it'd be ok for a group ride. i can see how bears like the area, with the creek and all (bears eat fish, ya know...and mayb tall skinny mtn bikers like me!!!). mtn lions??? i can see that two. i saw 2 deer, and a guy was hunting for one while i got to the top of rincon.

cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Pain Freak
    At the beginning of summer before school let out I went up to do this ride by myself.As I was climbing a forestry truck was on the way down.They stopped as I was going by and asked if I was riding alone.I told them I was, and they told me it would be better to ride with others and to stay in a close group.I questioned them and was told that there had been an agressive bear in the area and a number of mountain lion sightings.That's all it took for me,I turned around went down the street and climbed Glendora mountain road.The little part of the ride I did (most of the asphalt) was really nice.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Is it open?

Last time I rode out there, about 2 years ago, the gate was closed. Of course I just slipped past the side of the gate for a great 30 mile loop.

I think the gate was closed because of fears of a terrorist attack. Lame!

Is the gate now open?

Kam
    A hopped on pop.

yep...

yep...it ws closed after sept 11 attacks, but it's been open for a while now.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by mtbski
    Last time I rode out there, about 2 years ago, the gate was closed. Of course I just slipped past the side of the gate for a great 30 mile loop.

I think the gate was closed because of fears of a terrorist attack. Lame!

Is the gate now open?

Just passing through....
    Quote Originally Posted by Kam

more climbing and here's a blurred shot of mt wilson. the white dome is a 100ft telescope;

Its actually a 100" telecope...

Nice talking to you at Chino Hills the other day. You da man riding that full rigid single speed all over like you do (I see you didn't take it on this ride). Nice pics and nice bike.

Take care.

DFM
    If you want to play with electricity, more power to ya......

Kam
    A hopped on pop.

yo DFM...

will you be out at chsp this weekend??? let me know. the 29er is down, i gotta bleed the front brake. hopefully it'll be good to go for the weekend.

oh yea..100", not ft....hehehehe.

cheers!

QUOTE=DaFireMedic]Its actually a 100" telecope...

Nice talking to you at Chino Hills the other day. You da man riding that full rigid single speed all over like you do (I see you didn't take it on this ride). Nice pics and nice bike.

Take care.

DFM[/QUOTE]

Just passing through....
    Quote Originally Posted by Kam
    will you be out at chsp this weekend??? let me know. the 29er is down, i gotta bleed the front brake. hopefully it'll be good to go for the weekend.
    Nahh, I have to work both days. Bummer. Probably the next weekend though.
    If you want to play with electricity, more power to ya......