Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35
  1. #1
    Beer Please!
    Reputation: Klurejr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,362

    My Crash on the Widow Maker - Noble Canyon

    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TheInfiniteRoller's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    31
    Man, if I had a nickel for every time I've done a similar crash . . . the ol' pause-in-an-attempt-to-pick-the-best-line-possible-resulting-in-slo-mo-flop-over!

  3. #3
    Beer Please!
    Reputation: Klurejr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,362
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfiniteRoller View Post
    Man, if I had a nickel for every time I've done a similar crash . . . the ol' pause-in-an-attempt-to-pick-the-best-line-possible-resulting-in-slo-mo-flop-over!
    I was not trying to pause, i was moving too slow and my rear tire hung up on a rock and stopped all my momentum.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TheInfiniteRoller's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    I was not trying to pause, i was moving too slow and my rear tire hung up on a rock and stopped all my momentum.
    Ah, OK. Pretty sure I've done that crash, too.

  5. #5
    Warrior's Society
    Reputation: mtnbikej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    5,227
    Very similar crash back in Sept......cost me 9 stitches in my knee.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Madman43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    282
    Ouch !
    2013 Anthem Advanced 29er
    1999 Turner 02
    Raced for Mongoose Bikes from Alum,Carbon to TI.
    1987 Redline Mountain bike

  7. #7
    most memberable
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    436
    I remember when that was the only way down on the part of the trail...went down once successfully...two other times had to bail out. Then, they did the reroute...have taken that since.

  8. #8
    official eMpTyBRain
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    25,049
    Although you were in a precarious position, that was more of a bail out than a crash. But you did it right by tumbling it out.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,790
    I'm with Hawg, not really a crash more of a tip over. I
    do that a lot.

  10. #10
    Front Range, Colorado
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    21,228
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    Klurejr, The old Widow-maker has claimed many. Your crash was nothing short of a bail out. I crashed in that exact spot on a couple occasions. One similar to yours but one could have been a life changing event. I went over the bars in a very violent crash landing head and arms first. My speed was a bit faster and I ended up down at the bottom where during a normal year there is a trickle of water running through. I give your landing an 8+

    BTW great song choice.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

  11. #11
    most memberable
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    436
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Klurejr, The old Widow-maker has claimed many. Your crash was nothing short of a bail out. I crashed in that exact spot on a couple occasions. One similar to yours but one could have been a life changing event. I went over the bars in a very violent crash landing head and arms first. My speed was a bit faster and I ended up down at the bottom where during a normal year there is a trickle of water running through. I give your landing an 8+

    BTW great song choice.
    Which begs the eternal Q: If one bails, but the bike crashes...is it still a crash?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,119
    Well Done!
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

  13. #13
    official eMpTyBRain
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    25,049
    Quote Originally Posted by RTSO2112 View Post
    Which begs the eternal Q: If one bails, but the bike crashes...is it still a crash?
    Depends on whether you are talking to the bike or the rider...
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

  14. #14
    most memberable
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    436
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Depends on whether you are talking to the bike or the rider...
    Thats why it's ... eternal! Moreover, how much the rider feels for his bike (like a dog, Man's best friend)???

  15. #15
    official eMpTyBRain
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    25,049
    Quote Originally Posted by RTSO2112 View Post
    Thats why it's ... eternal! Moreover, how much the rider feels for his bike (like a dog, Man's best friend)???
    Oh boy, now you're getting all deep and sentimental on us..
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

  16. #16
    most memberable
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    436
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Oh boy, now you're getting all deep and sentimental on us..
    You forgot, profound !

  17. #17
    Front Range, Colorado
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    21,228
    I just wish I had a GoPro back in the early 2000's when I went over the bars numerous times on Noble. I left my DNA all over that mountain.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

  18. #18
    official eMpTyBRain
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    25,049
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    I just wish I had a GoPro back in the early 2000's when I went over the bars numerous times on Noble. I left my DNA all over that mountain.
    I'm sure there are other ways to leave your DNA all over the mountain besides crashing.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

  19. #19
    Front Range, Colorado
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    21,228
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    I'm sure there are other ways to leave your DNA all over the mountain besides crashing.
    Namely?

    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

  20. #20
    most memberable
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    436
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    I'm sure there are other ways to leave your DNA all over the mountain besides crashing.
    From what I heard 3rd hand....He only leaves that at Marian Bear!

  21. #21
    Beer Please!
    Reputation: Klurejr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,362
    Falling off the bike is a crash in my books, whether a properly executed bail happened or not.


    ;-)


    I certainly did not intend to come off the bike when I went for it... I wanted to make it down.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

  22. #22
    most memberable
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    436
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    Falling off the bike is a crash in my books, whether a properly executed bail happened or not.


    ;-)


    I certainly did not intend to come off the bike when I went for it... I wanted to make it down.
    Like Barry Bonds and Roger Maris before you, an * is your friend!

  23. #23
    Front Range, Colorado
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    21,228
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    Falling off the bike is a crash in my books, whether a properly executed bail happened or not.


    ;-)


    I certainly did not intend to come off the bike when I went for it... I wanted to make it down.
    Let's define "crash" versus "bail off"

    It's all good, I'm just happy to relive a section of trail that I saw my life flash before my eyes many years ago.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

  24. #24
    Beer Please!
    Reputation: Klurejr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,362
    well, I had a real crash tonight, but did not catch it on Video...

    Was running my dogs on the Bike Path along the San Luis Rey River from Oceanside harbor inland. My wife walks one and I take turns running the other along side the bike. This was the second time we tried doing this, the first time last week we had no issues.

    My boy is a good runner and stays to my side, leave a little slack in the leash and for the most part is easy to handle.

    My girl on the other hand refuses to run next to the bike, she wants to be in front, and she wants to go fast, like really fast. I think we were going about 15mph when she saw something to the left and crossed in front of my front tire and tanked the bike out from under me. I hit the pavement pretty hard.

    I wish I had my GoPro on this evening...... So you will have to settle for aftermath pics.

    She is the grey one on the right looking guilty:



    Shorts got destroyed:




    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

  25. #25
    official eMpTyBRain
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    25,049
    ^ Nice selfie, the last picture. There's a thread for that, ya know?
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Noble Canyon
    By n2fire in forum California - Socal
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-03-2014, 10:04 PM
  2. Noble Canyon in ok shape?
    By mud0shark in forum California - Socal
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-15-2012, 02:03 PM
  3. Noble canyon in San Diego
    By tittiot in forum California - Socal
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 11-28-2011, 11:26 AM
  4. Noble Canyon Riders...??
    By idigm in forum California - Socal
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-24-2011, 01:37 PM
  5. Noble Canyon from Saturday, take a look
    By pablo4429 in forum California - Socal
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-21-2011, 01:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •