Steamroller

Muddy....When can we ride?

This is just a poll here to see what people think. How long do we wait to ride our local trail after the rain, assuming it ever stops? I have always tried to wait about 3 full days, but after tha last big round of rains the trails were still very muddy in many places after a full week. It is obvious that there are always a bunch of people who go out and rut up the trail as soon as the rain stops. I get all worked up when I skip riding on a nice sunny Saturday to help save the damp trails and then I see a bunch of people out riding and everybody has to ride in their ruts for months after things dry. It is seldom those same people who would go out and do a little trail maintenance either.

Should we stick to our ethics and try to let the trails dry? Or since we are apparently a rainy state now, just ride rain or shine like people in the perpetually wet places do?

Are the guys who ride in the mud and screw up the trails @$$holes? Or am I just a bit to idealistic and missing rides for no good reason? Thoughts?
    [SIZE=2]Two Wheeled and Too Big[/SIZE]

Glad to Be Alive
    I have never seen it so wet and goey before. I ride a trail after a good rain you can ride right away because it is a sandstone base. On Sunday this was the worst i ever saw it. I was doing trail maintenance to get rid of the ruts. The ground had a life of its own.just a goey mess of mud. I don't see how anyone will be able to ride for a week and Monday there is another storm.

Your Local trail: If you got a couple of buddies who you ride with, then take a day off, like Saturday or Sunday, and fill in some ruts and make the trail nice for everyone.
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

The name's Norm...
    I'll be on the roadie for awhile. And this is one of the big reasons I went out and bought a roadie. Just for this situation.

Steamroller

I got my fixie for this

I got a fixed gear road bike for these times, I have a new Turner I just built that I want to take on the trails. This weekend I'm going grass riding in the park I guess.

I would love to go out with a shovel and a couple buddies and mold some of the mud into some nice trail features in a couple places where several feet flowed across the trail, but people will just ride over it and ruin it before it's dry. I guess you just have to allow the new trail to form naturally or make it nicer after things dry.
    [SIZE=2]Two Wheeled and Too Big[/SIZE]

hispanic mechanic

Dude, I hate that...

Quote Originally Posted by Mattman
    This is just a poll here to see what people think. How long do we wait to ride our local trail after the rain, assuming it ever stops? I have always tried to wait about 3 full days, but after tha last big round of rains the trails were still very muddy in many places after a full week. It is obvious that there are always a bunch of people who go out and rut up the trail as soon as the rain stops. I get all worked up when I skip riding on a nice sunny Saturday to help save the damp trails and then I see a bunch of people out riding and everybody has to ride in their ruts for months after things dry. It is seldom those same people who would go out and do a little trail maintenance either.

Should we stick to our ethics and try to let the trails dry? Or since we are apparently a rainy state now, just ride rain or shine like people in the perpetually wet places do?

Are the guys who ride in the mud and screw up the trails @$$holes? Or am I just a bit to idealistic and missing rides for no good reason? Thoughts?
    You're definitely not just being idealistic.Yeah, it's kind of a drag that I can't ride my new bike, but oh well. People who ride the trails before they're dry really torque me off. They're always the ones who seem to be absent from every trail work day.
    BTW, although I know you were joking about riding rain or shine "like people in the perpetually wet places do," but for those to whom this sounds acceptable- remember that they have soil that can handle it. Ours can't.
    Sorry if I'm a bit serious this morning. Trail withdrawl, doncha know!

the los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

Over the Hill
    There are some local fireroads that have a good rock base. Please stay off the single tracks until they are dry.

mtbr member
    This is a wet season in the middle of a drought cycle...ie it's still gonna be dry as hell later in the year, and in the years to follow. We'll have plenty of 50-week seasons in the coming years...

mtbr member
    It all depends on trail-specific conditions. There are trails with sand packed like concrete and others that get sticky in a heavy fog. Fireroads all all over the map as far as riding. Hell Hill in Sycamore is like cobblestone. Some singletracks under water are not muddy. So choose the trail carefully.
    Attached Images Attached Images

cask conditioned
    Just because it's 'not muddy' doesn't mean it's ok to ride. Basically if you're leaving deep-ish tracks you're making future ruts.

Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS

Your Local trail: If you got a couple of buddies who you ride with, then take a day off, like Saturday or Sunday, and fill in some ruts and make the trail nice for everyone.
    With the approval of the local land managers of course. And you've got to know what you're doing.
    Buy a bell, help the trails....

http://www.corbamtb.com/store/store.shtml

where are we eating?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I'm looking for some fireroads in LA with a good rock base. Any suggestions for a 15-20 mile road with some good climbs?

hispanic mechanic

Hey Eric... ( sorry about the minor hijack...)

Quote Originally Posted by EBasil
    This is a wet season in the middle of a drought cycle...ie it's still gonna be dry as hell later in the year, and in the years to follow. We'll have plenty of 50-week seasons in the coming years...
    Any word on trail work days here in Sandy Eggo?

the los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

cask conditioned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtbfast
    I'm looking for some fireroads in LA with a good rock base. Any suggestions for a 15-20 mile road with some good climbs?
    Most of the fireroads should be dry enough by now. Try Paseo Miramar to the hub and back, or loop it with Sullivan Ridge or Trailer Cyn. From the Valley side, Reseda to Parker Mesa and back is a good ride too. There will be some muddy parts but all rideable.
    Buy a bell, help the trails....

http://www.corbamtb.com/store/store.shtml

where are we eating?

mtbr member

I am coming from Minnesota to ride something

in SoCal. I have been looking at the maps on Mountain Bike Bill's site and getting pumped to ride - I am truckin in my new Joker. This whole thread makes me want to stop in Utah and stay there. Are there any good hard (meaning rideable) trails near Oceanside/San Diego? Gravel or hardpack fire roads? Or, how far west do I have to drive to find something rideable. I'll ride in reasonable rain but I don't particularly like mud. I have 9 days free in SoCal before I head back toward St. George and Moab.

I was looking at Calavera Lake, Daley Ranch, Elfin Forest, Flightline, Lake Hodges; Nate Harrision, Teaja Truck Trail and Anderson Truck Trail.

Any of that rideable? I know nothing about trails in SoCal, and I don't want to screw anything up. So, do I have to drive to the Arizona border? I am looking for day trips.

Rick

mtbr member

The hills are a peein'

After the rain we've had, I bet the ground is so saturated the hills will be peeing for weeks. A lot of trails in the Santa Ana's are very ridable shortly after the rain. The problem I have experienced is that even though the fire road you ride up is in great shape, a side trail could be a mud pit. An example is STT. Main road up is mostly fine. The luge is not. I found out the hard way a while back. I made a mistake and will try to make up for it with some trail work. I'll be waiting a few days even though I'm dying to ride. I'm not trying to preach but I hate seeing trails destroyed even further.

Waiting to exhale.
    The trail I regularly ride is totally rideable. You guys who are jonesing for some trail time are invited to come out and ride. It is a new trail and has been designed to not get damaged in the rain. If you want pics look in the "fat guys with heavy bikes" thread in the turner forum. ZERO MUD! no sand! anyways PM me if you are interested in coming out. It is about a 2 hour drive form O.C. but everyone who has made the trip has said it was worth it. the trail is about 12 miles I guess....but it can be ridden in shorter or longer loops. Where else you gonna ride technical single track in these times? all are welcome.
    Quite possibly the slowest single speeder on earth.
    Now skating 'cause its cheaper.

mtbr member

Listen! Saturday Trailwork

Quote Originally Posted by sslos
    Any word on trail work days here in Sandy Eggo?

the los
    "Come on out Saturday the 26th and help repair some of the battering
    Mission Trails has received from the record rains this year. Meet at
    the corner of Colina Dorada/Calle de Vida (Thomas Bros. Page 1230 B2)
    at 8:30 a.m. It will be another sunny day in the park and the dirt
    will be easy to work. You might even want to ride to the work site.
    Contact Everett at everett@sdmba.com for more details."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by badlander
    I was looking at Calavera Lake, Daley Ranch, Elfin Forest, Flightline, Lake Hodges; Nate Harrision, Teaja Truck Trail and Anderson Truck Trail.

Any of that rideable? I know nothing about trails in SoCal, and I don't want to screw anything up. So, do I have to drive to the Arizona border? I am looking for day trips.

Rick
    --Lake Calaveras, I dunno, but I expect it stays muddy for a while.
    --Daley Ranch drains pretty well, but need a couple days of sun to be trail-ready.
    --Elfin Forest is closed, due to a landslide
    --Flightline, I dunno
    --Lake Hodges needs 3+ days of sun to dry out, since there are large shaded areas, and there are some washouts (nothing you can't handle, just don't barrel around blind curves anyway).
    --Nate Harrison, no idea
    --ATT, I've heard handles rain pretty well, but you really gotta find a regular on here that can give you updates. There are riders here that hit that trail every few hours, I think...

Not a regular
    Jan 2004

Rick
    Calavera has a lot of clay trails - not so good after a rain.
    Daley might be okay, but the last time I was there 4 weeks ago before this latest deluge, there was
    a lot of soggy, muddy trails and some trail closures.
    Elfin Forest was closed due to slides before this latest on slaught.
    Flightline - sniff, sniff - is succumbing to the bulldozers. It's usually okay to ride most of the trails, but most of the trails be gone.
    Hodges can be pretty soggy but should drain well - I'd give it a good week of zero precipitation. Hodges should also be a good ride to see how the lake has filled up - it was down 36 feet or so only a couple of months ago.
    Nate Harrison - is in an area that got about the most rain. It faces west so the sun should help dry it - if there's no more rain.
    Not so sure about the other places.

I plan on being on my road bike for at least the next couple of weeks.

mtbr member

Ok, how are things west of the range

How are the trails in Joshua Tree? I have the book Mountain Bike Southern Calif, and it leaves off a lot of trail that appear on websites. I am wondering about trails in the western part of SoCal. Any web sites with references? I will be staying around Oceanside, and I just want to get out and ride trails and am not adverse to driving a few hours to get to something dry and difficult.

I was out last February, May and July without a bike and it was just great weather. What a difference a year can make.

Rick

Waiting to exhale.
    How are the trails in Joshua Tree? I have the book Mountain Bike Southern Calif, and it leaves off a lot of trail that appear on websites. I am wondering about trails in the western part of SoCal. Any web sites with references? I will be staying around Oceanside, and I just want to get out and ride trails and am not adverse to driving a few hours to get to something dry and difficult.

I was out last February, May and July without a bike and it was just great weather. What a difference a year can make.

Rick
    As far as the trails in the joshua tree federal park, they are wet and tacky, not mudddy or flooded. they are ridable without doing any damage. The park rangers gave me and a small group the O.K. to ride the trails IN the rain.

like I said, I have a trail in joshua tree city (not the park) that no one knows about and its not in any maps or websites. Its mostly hard pack and rock, lots of rocks. 100% single track! lots o switch backs going up and down and overall very technical rocky terrain. come on out. I don't bite. you guys will dig this trail.
    Quite possibly the slowest single speeder on earth.
    Now skating 'cause its cheaper.

banned
    Apr 2004

2 hour drive for 12 miles of trail

Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEY
    The trail I regularly ride is totally rideable. You guys who are jonesing for some trail time are invited to come out and ride. It is a new trail and has been designed to not get damaged in the rain. If you want pics look in the "fat guys with heavy bikes" thread in the turner forum. ZERO MUD! no sand! anyways PM me if you are interested in coming out. It is about a 2 hour drive form O.C. but everyone who has made the trip has said it was worth it. the trail is about 12 miles I guess....but it can be ridden in shorter or longer loops. Where else you gonna ride technical single track in these times? all are welcome.

count me out.