Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

MTB Skills Clinics

Learn to ride from international pro rider Julius Syvanen (www.juliussyvanen.com)

Improving your technical skills is the single best way to have a better riding experience, this is especially true in mountain biking where such a variability of terrain and conditions exist. In this 3-4 hr. clinic we will strive to improve all the fundamentals including:
    - Cornering
    - Descending
    - Getting over obstacles
    - Line choice
    - Technical Climbing techniques

This clinic is ideal for riders already acquainted with the sport and is meant to take your riding to the next level comfortably, no matter your current level; all are welcome!

The clinic will be held in Penasquito’s Canyon (San Diego) and the surrounding trails in small groups in order to insure personal attention. This is as much of a real ride as it is a skills specific clinic!

Available most weekends!

Please contact Julius Syvanen for all details including price:

(858) 337-2423
    mtnbike.skills@gmail.com
    mtnbike-skills.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    May 2008
    if you ever plan to have a clinic in los angeles, i'd be interested.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Nothing in LA for the moment. The rides are all in North County San Diego for the time being.The trail network in Penasquitos Canyon is excelent for the clinics which is a major reason I host them there. I have had a number of requests in the LA area so maybe sometime in the future I may host one up there. Visit my blog for updates: www.mtnbike-skills.blogspot.com

Thanks for your interest,

Julius

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    There are many more mountain bikers in the LA area than in San Diego so I am sure that you could fill up several clinics if you came up here.

Also, there are many good trails likely equal to those in San Diego.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Hey Julius,

How about a clinic in SB? How's it going down in San Diego?

-Paul

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Paul,

Nothing in SB for the moment, although I do love it up there! Hope to see you riding down here some time!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I would be interested if it were in LA area. I tried El Prieto twice and I always have to walk about half the time since i've got no clue how to handle the obstacles, but i'd like to learn some better bike handling skills.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Burrito,

Come to the clinic and we'll get those skills honed in!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Few slots open this coming Saturday!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I took the skills clinic today, and it was very useful and a lot of fun. The clinic tought me a lot of things, most of the time it seems to be the little details as to how you plan to handle the obstacle that makes you succeed or fail.

With what I learned today I am sure I'll get much better at climbing very steep technical climbs, feeling more comfortable with cornering, and especially going down on steep chutes (something I would always avoid until today!) I feel much more secure.

The ride combines both working on the skills together with some cool trail riding in a really nice scenery. It's not a 'fixed' ride but depends on riders abilities or areas that need the improvement.

Overall, highly recommended, lots of fun with a great trainer and for the people from LA or Pasadena area (like me), it's less than 2 hour drive and you will be rewarded with a fun clinic but also some very cool but different singletrack.

L&A
    mtbr member
    May 2007
    My husband and I also took the clinic this weekend and I have to say it was the best clinic I have ever attended. The clinic is geared toward the riders abilities and the areas on which the skill improvement is needed and is not a 'fixed' ride as Burrito mentioned. Julius keeps the clinics small so he can give individual attention along with group instruction.

We HIGHLY recommend these clinics not only for the beginner but for the seasoned rider who has been riding for a while who is interested in honing their skills, or to work on that one area that you can never seem to perfect or 'get it right', or to just learn some new ways of doing things.

Julius is an excellent intructor who can effectively communicate to the student the skills being taught in a way that is easily understood and easily learned. It would certainly be worth the drive down from the L.A. area to attend one of these clinics, you will definitely not be dissapointed! I know we will be back to attend another one very soon!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    when is your next clinic in SD?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Next clinics are this weekend Aug. 9-10. Check my blog for constant updates on availability. www.mtnbike-skills.blogspot.com

TCB
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsyvanen
    Next clinics are this weekend Aug. 9-10. Check my blog for constant updates on availability. www.mtnbike-skills.blogspot.com

How much do you charge for your clinics
    "No matter where you go there you are" BUCKAROO BANZAI

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TCB
    How much do you charge for your clinics
    The cost of the clinic is $55. Please contact me via e-mail at mtnbike.skills@gmail.com for all the details. Thanks!
    Last edited by Jsyvanen; 08-07-2008 at 04:40 PM.

mtbr member
    On Sunday morning I attended Julius Syvanen's Mountain Bike Skills Clinic. In comparison to the BikeSills.Com clinic with Joe Lawwill, Julius' clinic was much more personal but also much more unstructured. Also, the class only had 2 students as compared to the 7 in Joe's clinic which could have been a benefit in a more structured environment.

The unstructured nature of the class made it more a ride with a professional racer along to provide tips and answer questions as opposed to the BikeSills clinic which seemed more like a class. Also, because of the format, Julius provide more specific tips on how to perform certain skills. For example, as I was riding, Julius pointed out what I was doing during cornering that could result in me skidding out. In fact, just the day before I had skidded out on a corner. Once he pointed out my flawed (and long term) execution, and instructed me how to perform it correctly, I immediately improved. It was like night and day for me.

Like any course of this type, there's likely to be a variety of skill levels represented. That's where I started asking questions and trying to improve on the skills I learned from Julius and from the BikeSkills class. Julius never acted like he had a chip on his shoulders. Instead, he answered each of my questions, provided demonstrations and pointed out what I was doing and how to improve, all with the air of a friend who wants to impart his knowledge.

The cost for the clinic was very reasonable, although it would have been a greater value had the skill level between myself and the other student been more equal because we would have had the opportunity to encounter a greater variety of obstacles in the same amount of time.

I will certainly go back to take another ride with Julius to get more pointers on my riding.
    Peace,
    Gyan the Zen Monkey.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I took the MTB Skills Clinic with Julius today. Since I was the only student, it made for four hours of one-on-one instruction, riding and feedback.

We started off in the parking lot with some basic drills emphasizing body position and angles, weighting and unweighting, and cornering. This portion was structured, and the instruction was clear and precise.

We quickly headed out to the trail and it was quite evident that although Julius is a Pro Downhiller, he is also a highly-skilled, all-around mountain biker.

So the big question is, "How well can he take the skills he has and teach them to me?" His instruction was clear and well-presented, and quite importantly, he was able to quickly pinpoint what I was doing incorrectly and offer suggestions for improvement. I felt very comfortable riding with Julius because I sensed he cared about my improvement, not about the money or any other self-interests.

I honestly don't know how he could make his clinic any better. In fact he just sent me an email advising me of areas I need to work on.

Julius provided all the motivation and instructional knowledge I hoped for--The rest is up to me.

mtbr member
    Julius is like Spiderman on a bike! If I were to go to a skills class I'd definatly chose this one!

mtbr member

Follow up

I went riding this past weekend, one week following the clinic I had with Julius. All I can say is WOW! My cornering was so much better that my buddies were all asking me what I was doing differently. As I mentioned in my previous review, I knew that I had improved thanks to Julius' observations and pointers, but it wasn't until I had something to compare it to for me to realize exactly how much I'd improved.

Thank you Julius!
    Peace,
    Gyan the Zen Monkey.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Clinics available this weekend Sat. 16th and Sun. 17th! e-mail mtnbike.skills@gmail.com if you are interested!

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Julius,

If you ever make it back up to SB, lemme know. I know of several people that are interested in clinics.

-Haulinberger

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Clinic this Sun. 8/24!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I should be teaching this weekend (30th/31st) again if anyone is interested! mtnbike.skills@gmail.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    If anyone is interested for this weekend Sept. 13th, 14th spots are open! mtnbike.skills@gmail.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsyvanen
    If anyone is interested for this weekend Sept. 13th, 14th spots are open! mtnbike.skills@gmail.com

I know a guy that is interested. I'll email ya....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast