gjg
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Mt Wilson toll Road - Gone

It looks like it is going to be awhile before the toll road is re-opened. This slide happened on Wednesday. It's big --about the size of a football field.

Greg
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    My friend lives on Pinecrest right next to the canyon and called me up right after it happend.
    I drove up there as the firemen were arriving. Its huge as your pic shows.

The county guys that were there said that a new route would have to be made because of the massive area of unstable land around the slide. No way to cut a new road where the old one was. But it wasnt going to happen for a long long while, just too big of a project to start anytime soon.
    Looks like the MOUNT WILSON BICYCLE ASSOCIATION pankcake breakfast at Henninger Flats might not happen.
    Wow what a winter, and its not over yet.

Glad to Be Alive
    wow
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

gjg
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Bonking ... not feelin' well

Quote Originally Posted by Bladerunner
    My friend lives on Pinecrest right next to the canyon and called me up right after it happend.
    I drove up there as the firemen were arriving. Its huge as your pic shows.

The county guys that were there said that a new route would have to be made because of the massive area of unstable land around the slide. No way to cut a new road where the old one was. But it wasnt going to happen for a long long while, just too big of a project to start anytime soon.

That was the same spot that slid in the early 90's and they just dynamited the slide to keep the road where it was. If they have to create a new road, it probably won't happen as their is NO budget for it. Also, they think the bridge was damaged from the flashflood in January, when we had over 20" of rain over the weekend.

I live on Pinecrest also and we've recorded over 70"of rain here so far this rain season. 13" last week leading up to the new slide.

I can always ride other trails, but the Toll road is where my dogs like to go to exercise & hunt lizards. The Toll road was the best attribute of living here.

Oh well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gjg
    That was the same spot that slid in the early 90's and they just dynamited the slide to keep the road where it was. If they have to create a new road, it probably won't happen as their is NO budget for it. Also, they think the bridge was damaged from the flashflood in January, when we had over 20" of rain over the weekend.

I live on Pinecrest also and we've recorded over 70"of rain here so far this rain season. 13" last week leading up to the new slide.

I can always ride other trails, but the Toll road is where my dogs like to go to exercise & hunt lizards. The Toll road was the best attribute of living here.

Oh well.
    You know it Greg.
    The Toll Road is /was good fun.
    I like to do a quick ride after work to Henningers then stop at the bench half way down and watch the sunset.
    I hope the county can fix it soon.
    No trail work volunteerism with shovels is going to fix this mess.
    It was nice while it lasted.
    Last edited by Bladerunner; 02-26-2005 at 10:18 PM.

Just another Homer

Scale

A picture like this is hard to judge the scale or the depth.For the people who have seen it first hand,do you think it's possible to shovel/cut a way through?I'm thinking it might be years before they get around to this
    I may not be as good as I once was.
    But I'm as good once, as I ever was.
    Toby Keith

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Looks like photo shop

Looks like photo shop! Looking at the photo you can tell there was never that much dirt above the trail in the first place. Nice try!

FTM
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbski
    Looks like photo shop! Looking at the photo you can tell there was never that much dirt above the trail in the first place. Nice try!
    Looking at your response you can tell that you don't bother to look into the facts.

Check out this link for the article:
    http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/Stor...?search=filter

If you click on 'Photo Gallery: Mudslides' to the right of the byline and then click on photos 9 & 10 you can see the wonderfull photoshop job done by the Pasadena Star News.

enjoy!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Dude I'm Fu#king with you!

Quote Originally Posted by FTM
    Looking at your response you can tell that you don't bother to look into the facts.

If you click on 'Photo Gallery: Mudslides' to the right of the byline and then click on photos 9 & 10 you can see the wonderfull photoshop job done by the Pasadena Star News.

enjoy!
    My post was a joke!

See you on the trails!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FTM

How deep does this conspiracy go?! You photoshopped the Star News, too? Damn, you guys are good.

Nasty slide. Stuff like that can't even be fixed by bulldozing it back open, since the slide area above has a tendency to break loose and those cowardly D-9 operators whine about "getting washed off the slope".

gjg
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

I wish it was photshopped!

Quote Originally Posted by mtbski

Its funny you should say that because my wife and I were thinking the same thing about the dirt. Where did it all come from? The 90's slide left a big chunk of that section bare down to the bedrock, so there should not have been that much soil to move. But it's some kind of illusion because the dirt is defintely there!

For those who don't know the entrance on Pincrest, I was probably a couple of hundred yards to a qurter mile from the slide where I took the picture. I'd say if you turned a football field on its side so that it was long ways down, that is about the size of the slide. I guess it could be even bigger than that. If you live anywhere near here, you should drive by and check it out -- it's impressive.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Wasn't there an alternate route made after the slide in the early 90's? I thought I heard of a singletrack called rattlesnake or something. Does that ring a bell or am I full of crap?

Hung Like a Lightswitch
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BSEVEER
    I thought I heard of a singletrack called rattlesnake or something. Does that ring a bell or am I full of crap?
    There is a trail up there called Rattlesnake, but it goes doen the north side of Mt. Wilson, where as this trail is on the southwest side.

mtbr member
    Rattlesnake canyon trail is about 1/2 mile down in Eaton canyon, no bikes on that trail.

Saw some more news on TV, the reporter said the last landslide took a year to fix and this one would take even longer because of the size and that other parts of the trail all the way up to Mt Wilson are also damaged. Compounding things , the county's budget problems.
    This slide is HUGE !
    Say good bye to the trail for atleast Id say 2 years.

Over the Hill
    This spring and after the slide stabilizes, I wonder if the Forest Service would alow a hiking path across the slide until it can be cleared.

Glad to Be Alive
    the county's budget problems.
    I hate budget problems...The county is paying people to work...well put them to work on the trail
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hbfrdh1
    There is a trail up there called Rattlesnake, but it goes doen the north side of Mt. Wilson, where as this trail is on the southwest side.
    I know exactly where the photo was taken, been there too many times to count but I didn't know exactly where Rattlesnake was. I thought it was down the canyon a bit like bladerunner said but I didn't know it was closed to bikes.

suspension whore
    damm
    i just got back into town, misse d the rain and the slide
    is it hikeable yet.
    I was ready to start riding up that instyead of mt lowe
    has any one worked a hiking trail over the dirt?

mtbr member

Nope

The last time I was up there the bridge was closed and the trail in eaton canyon was washed out. The Trail head at the end of the bridge was taped off too.
    Hikers my have cut a small trail Im not sure.
    Like it was said before say good bye to a fun ride fo awhile.

gjg
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

No path

The last time I was up there the bridge was closed and the trail in eaton canyon was washed out. The Trail head at the end of the bridge was taped off too.
    Hikers my have cut a small trail Im not sure.

there does not appear to be a path across the slide