Stray Bullet

Mt Wilson Conditions & Ride 03/12 (X-post RM.com)

Has anyone shuttled Mt. Wilson since the rain? Are all of the trails and roads to shuttle it open?

Anyone want to shuttle on Saturday 03/12?

Scott

Over the Hill
    Do it as an out and back: Start from the bottom and you won't have to worry about the trails/roads being closed.

Two days ago I rode Upper Winter Creek Trail from Cantry Flats to Winter Creek. More water in Winter Creek than I was willing to wade through, so I turned around before Hoegee's.

Just another Homer

How

are you going to shuttle this?Where were you planning on putting the vehicles?A lot of places still have some problems.I'd be interested in the route you took.Please post back with a ride report,if you don't mind.
    I may not be as good as I once was.
    But I'm as good once, as I ever was.
    Toby Keith

Stray Bullet
    Quote Originally Posted by Pain Freak
    are you going to shuttle this?Where were you planning on putting the vehicles?A lot of places still have some problems.I'd be interested in the route you took.Please post back with a ride report,if you don't mind.
    Yes, we are planning to shuttle it. One car will be at the parking lot near JPL. The other will left at the top off of Angeles Crest.

I will post some photos and a ride report. If anyone else is interested please let me know.

Scott

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you shuttle the Merrils/Sunset/El Prieto, skip the short section that drops down from Mt Lowe road to Millard CG. About 100 yards in it gets real muddy. We turned around but could see a bunch of others before us didn't and it is torn up as of 3/6/05. We rode Lower Merrill/Sunset/El P. Sunset is about as rocky as I've seen it. El P is in decent shape. We talked to some guys who did Middle Merrill and said it wasn't too bad. If you shuttle the Gab, there is a big section not far after Oakwild that is completely gone. It requires some hike-a-bike. The water xings are still pretty deep also. This was from last month when I rode it but I doubt it has changed much.

a.k.a. MTBMaven

Second That

"If you shuttle the Merrils/Sunset/El Prieto, skip the short section that drops down from Mt Lowe road to Millard CG. About 100 yards in it gets real muddy. We turned around but could see a bunch of others before us didn't and it is torn up as of 3/6/05."

I second that comment. I rode the first few hundred yards on 3/5/05 and turned back as well. The trail is slushy clay mud and TONS of poison oak. Rode Middle Merril on the 26th or 27th and it's in great condition. Even tougher than before!

Please be kind to the trails out there while you flying down them. I agree with dstepper, more honor in riding up first. It'll put hair on your chest son.

dstepper, is the road up to Chantry still all messed up with slides? Too bad you had to turn back its really nice back there right now, really quite.

Over the Hill
    A better description of the road to Chantry is...gone. The road is completely gone about two miles past the gate on Santa Anita Ave. Another major slide covers the road, maybe a mile up, one rideable the other walkable. I kind of like it that way...it discourages a lot of people from going up there. After I left the pavement, I saw one hiker and one biker the entire day.

Regrettably the pack train and store may not survive if the road is not repaired soon.
    Attached Images Attached Images

a.k.a. MTBMaven

Second Slide

That's a great photo of the second slide. That thing is so big they put in switchbacks.

It's kinda sad that so much Adventure Pass money when into fixing up the Chantry Flats area, with a new bathroom, new pavement, and new benches, and no the place is closed for the foreseeable future.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Holy Shite!

Great pic of that slide. I guess this means there will be a lot less trail traffic this spring!

FYI, EL P has had much more damage since last month. More slides, portions of the trail are completely washed away and a fallen tree right in the middle of the trail. In some areas the trail has really changed. You'll have a bit of hike-a-bike going on in some of the worst areas that have land slides, nothing too severe, it just disrupts the flow considerably. See for yourself. We'll be doing trail maintenance there soon enough. later

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dstepper
    A better description of the road to Chantry is...gone. The road is completely gone about two miles past the gate on Santa Anita Ave.
    Is there any way to get by this section or is it completely impassable?

a.k.a. MTBMaven

It's Rideable

Quote Originally Posted by High Roller
    Is there any way to get by this section or is it completely impassable?
    You can get by the section on a bike or hiking. The road is closed to vehicle traffice. The lower slide (first photo) is rideable, the upper slide (second photo) was not when I rode, but it's an easy short walk.

As for the trail conditions, see my review from several weeks ago:
    Strawberry Peak and Chantry Loop Update (Long)

mtbr member
    Glad to hear that you can still get up there. Can't wait to check it out.

Glad to Be Alive
    wow those slides are big
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days