a.k.a. MTBMaven

Mt. Wilson Area Trail Questions?

I'm looking at the topo map and there are three trail descending from the top of Mt. Wilson. Going clockwise from north, 1) Rattlesnake (AKA whatever they renamed it) which goes down to the West Fork of the San Gaberial River, 2) unnamed trail that goes to Newcome Pass, and 3) Santa Anita Trail that goes to Sturtevant Camp.

Does anyone have any information on the unnamed trail. I've seen this trail at Newcomb Pass before. Is it rideable?
    I thought of that while riding my bicycle. ~ Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I think the unamed trail is the Rim Trail. Last I heard it was closed. I rode it a few years ago and there was a section of switchbacks that were pretty much gone. The rest of it wasn't bad. I think the Santa Anita Trail is now called Sturtevant Trail. You still planning on riding your epic on Saturday? I was thinking of joining you until I mapped it out. Not sure if I can handle over 7000ft of climbing in one day.

a.k.a. MTBMaven
    Yeah still planning on going. Though I'm getting a bit nervous about my trail selection. Not sure what I'm going to find on the Idlehour Trail. Guy at Pasadena Cyclery seemed a bit apprehensive about that trail. Then again that's kind of what intrigues me.

You're right about the Stutervant Trail. I haven't ridden that in years. Last time I rode it was probably 6-7 years ago with JRM, who's now up in NorCal, back when we went to CSU Long Beach, and I was riding a very old '91 Mongoose IBOC with 1st gen. Manitou fork. If I ride it again I hope to clear some of those steep, tight switchbacks.

I hear you about the 7,000ft. of gain. I think doing it this way will break up the climbing a bit. I don't think the grade will be nearly as bad as climbing Mt. Wilson Toll Rd all the way to the top.

I really wanted to ride the Rattlesnake Trail but I thought it ended at the Newcomb Pass, which I love riding down. However it goes down to the West Fork which means even more climbing to get back up to Newcomb. Not sure after all that climbing to get to Mt Wilson I'm going to want to do even more climbing.

Let me know if you want to come along. Pasadena Cyclery was super cool and fixed my two broken nipples in less than 10 minutes last night, and they did it about 15 minutes before the closed. Very cool group of guys around there!
    I thought of that while riding my bicycle. ~ Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnfiend
    I really wanted to ride the Rattlesnake Trail but I thought it ended at the Newcomb Pass, which I love riding down. However it goes down to the West Fork which means even more climbing to get back up to Newcomb. Not sure after all that climbing to get to Mt Wilson I'm going to want to do even more climbing.
    The climb out is not that bad. The singletrack from rattlesnake to west fork is more of a traverse, and from there you take a moderate fire road up to a saddle and then go right on a fireroad/almost singletrack back west to newcomb. Don't take the gab singletrack after west fork, it is not any fun on a bike.

The ride down from newcomb is great.

a.k.a. MTBMaven
    Quote Originally Posted by STJunkie
    I rode it a few years ago and there was a section of switchbacks that were pretty much gone. The rest of it wasn't bad.
    How dangerous was it to pass the section with the washed out switchback? Was it cliff like or just terrain with no trail?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    How dangerous was it to pass the section with the washed out switchback? Was it cliff like or just terrain with no trail?
    It wasn't too bad. It was in spot that had a steep slope, so if you went over you probably wouldn't stop for awhile. Idlehour is a tough trail dropping in and climbing to Heninger from what I remember.

a.k.a. MTBMaven
    Quote Originally Posted by STJunkie
    It wasn't too bad. It was in spot that had a steep slope, so if you went over you probably wouldn't stop for awhile. Idlehour is a tough trail dropping in and climbing to Heninger from what I remember.
    That's what I read on Ron Bigelow's site. He's got some nice photos of the trail. From his photos the Rattlesnake/Devore Trail looks worse though. Granted it was a few years ago when he rode the trail. I wonder what the trails look like now. With the closure of Chantry and the rains last year I suspect all the trails in that area are in pretty bad shape.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That's what I read on Ron Bigelow's site. He's got some nice photos of the trail. From his photos the Rattlesnake/Devore Trail looks worse though. Granted it was a few years ago when he rode the trail. I wonder what the trails look like now. With the closure of Chantry and the rains last year I suspect all the trails in that area are in pretty bad shape.
    Rattlesnake is in good shape. I rode it in Sept and only came across 1 downed tree. There are a couple creek xings that I had to walk but that's normal.