That's gonna leave a mark

Mt. Pinos on SS?

Going to be joining some friends for a ride on Mt. Pinos on Memorial Day weekend. Planning on doing the climb then the descent. Not sure if we will be doing the road climb or ST. Anyone here done it on a SS that can give me some feedback?

TIA, Upchuck
    Fat fanatic.

"Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

mtbr member
    I typically use 43 to 50 gear inches. It's a long steady climb and only a few short steep sections. Push a big gear so you speed the flat areas on the top and the easier slopes and berms. Some people have trouble with altitude, YMMV.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Upchuck
    Going to be joining some friends for a ride on Mt. Pinos on Memorial Day weekend. Planning on doing the climb then the descent. Not sure if we will be doing the road climb or ST. Anyone here done it on a SS that can give me some feedback?

TIA, Upchuck
    I've ridden it a few times on the SS (46 gear inches). I always climb the singletrack and find it to be 100% rideable. The lower half of the Harvest Trail is a painful grind, but at least it's short. Give it a try.

Thanks Doug and Jim for the feedback. I'm going to go with 46gi. But to make things a bit easier, I'm going rigid.

Jim, I just heard thru the rumor mill that you were injured and recovering. What happened?! I was just getting ready to contact you for another SS ride...
    Fat fanatic.

34N 118W
    But to make things a bit easier, I'm going rigid.
    the singlespeeder's oxymoron!

I replied on the SS board. But I'm more of a spinner than a grinder.

hw

mtbr member
    Thanks Doug and Jim for the feedback. I'm going to go with 46gi. But to make things a bit easier, I'm going rigid.

Jim, I just heard thru the rumor mill that you were injured and recovering. What happened?! I was just getting ready to contact you for another SS ride...
    Herniated disc injury from schlepping some heavy stuff around. Not a major rupture, but bad enough to keep me off the bike for the better part of a month. Started riding a few weeks ago, and I'm gradually getting back to where I left off. Still feel fat and slow, though

Just another Homer
    Wow, sorry to hear that Jim.Take care I wouldn't rush it.

BTW, we are heading up to the Plunge again on June 24/25th weekend.

Vince I've done the ride on a ss and I'm one of the weaker ss'ers. You'll have no problem, but for me some sections were brutal. I was running a 32:18 at the time and wishing almost all the way that I had a 20. Now I do, so the next time I go up there I'll give it another go.Nothing on this ride really requires suspension
    I may not be as good as I once was.
    But I'm as good once, as I ever was.
    Toby Keith

Glad to Be Alive
    Vince are you going to be up there Monday?????
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Thanks Mike. We still have to plan that Strawberry Peak ride on SS...It's getting to be a little warm down here in the Flatlands. Hopefully it won't bake up there.

Bob, not sure where you're referring to but no, I won't be up "there" on Monday. I'll be staying local on Monday.
    Fat fanatic.

mtbr member
    Thanks Mike. We still have to plan that Strawberry Peak ride on SS...It's getting to be a little warm down here in the Flatlands. Hopefully it won't bake up there.

Bob, not sure where you're referring to but no, I won't be up "there" on Monday. I'll be staying local on Monday.
    Vince, you are taking at least one person with knowledge of Pinos, right?

(Bob probably took M.D. weekend to mean the official holiday - Monday)

Quote Originally Posted by pacman
    Vince, you are taking at least one person with knowledge of Pinos, right?

(Bob probably took M.D. weekend to mean the official holiday - Monday)
    Doug, the ride leader lives near the trailhead. So we're good to go.
    Fat fanatic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Vince, my good buddy lives right there also (at the Pine Mtn. Club development). Rode there two weeks ago on my geared bike. Trail is in good shape, but it was somewhat hot by the end of the ride (noon?). Start early if you can. Almost squashed a small rattler...watch out for those guys right now! Otherwise, a fun ride on a nice flowing trail. Have fun...I'll be there again for the Pine Mtn Wine Festival on June 10th. Gonna try to ride again the next day.