Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Mt. Pinos is primed and ready.

Looks like the snow never came. No downed trees no obstacles just the perfect beauty you expect from Pinos. A little snow patch at the start of south ridge but thats it.

Now go and have fun.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Good to know. Thanks for the update.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

Glad to Be Alive
    I am so there Saturday
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Green Mojo
    I have been axiously awaiting this news. I am there next week.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Any patches of snow on the Harvest trail down from the XC center?

mtbr member
    Pic taken yesterday from right where you drop off the Nordic Center lot to Harvest. That snow will be gone soon-- heat wave coming!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Never give up, never surrender.

mtbr member
    Rode it yesterday - didn't see but a bike or two out there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Thanks for the pic! Looks more than ready to ride!

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyDi
    Pic taken yesterday from right where you drop off the Nordic Center lot to Harvest. That snow will be gone soon-- heat wave coming!!
    any mud on the trail at all???
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    I should clarify that we were hiking, not biking-- a family thing. Stargazing lot to the top and back was plenty for my motley crew. For those who enjoy that bonus 2 mile climb, there are a few lingering patches of slushy snow in shady places on and around the road, just enough for kids to stomp around on and have a blast. One sno-melt puddle and moisture without mud. The actual summit, however, is perfectly clear and dry. Here I'm being mocked (I think) for making my boy bring his jacket on such a nice day:

Trying a little
    rode it two weeks ago - fine and fun.
    fastest trail around.

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

Johny Sokko!
    Our club is having a ride there on the 1st! Thanks for the heads up!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    i haven't been up there in 20+ years.

what type of riding typifies the area? is there any DH trails? gimme some beta, plz.
    It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own.

- Cicero

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Both XC and Dh. Be strong and climb it or pound beers and bomb it, your choice. I love it both ways......Hey......That sounds.......

Go Lakers!
    Thanks for the info. I am planning a ride there over Memorial Day Weekend. I am so glad the snow is almost gone. Best trail to ride when you want to beat the heat in the Valley!
    [SIZE="3"]Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift that's why they call it the present [/SIZE]

Glad to Be Alive
    trail is in great shape.....some parts smoothed over in the last year........no snow on the trail.....about 4 or 5 patches to the side,....temps were perfect.....only problem is the people who have rode the trail already this year..they blown out some turns toward the bottom..........you brake before the turns not during them

mtbr member
    Hey Folks,

I love in Nipomo just north of Santa Maria on the coast and was wondering if it is worth the hike over to Mt. Pinos to bike the trail? And are there other trails in the area that are worth visiting as well? How long would it take to get there as well. Thanks for help.

Fat guy on a bike
    Man, after this hot weekend, need to get some elevation so I don't die from heat stroke. Pinos should be nice for that.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Okie Dokie
    Hey Folks,

I love in Nipomo just north of Santa Maria on the coast and was wondering if it is worth the hike over to Mt. Pinos to bike the trail? And are there other trails in the area that are worth visiting as well? How long would it take to get there as well. Thanks for help.
    2hour drive?? for one trail.....I would look for some rides in San luis Obispo...great area with trails there

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    trail is in great shape.....some parts smoothed over in the last year........no snow on the trail.....about 4 or 5 patches to the side,....temps were perfect.....only problem is the people who have rode the trail already this year..they blown out some turns toward the bottom..........you brake before the turns not during them
    Berms are like trainnig wheels, if you don't have balance use them.

I Suck
    May 2008
    Rode it 2 weeks ago. we did it 3 times that day. the top half is sick, nice jumps. can't wait to get back up there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Rode it this morning, what an epic ride, the temp at the bottom was 48 and cloudy, it was quite moist out, enough to where the trail was insanely tacky. About a third of the way up the climb encountered the first small patch of snow, by the time I reached the first campground area, (where there's a cutoff for another trail), everything had a nice blanket of white, including the trees, no snow on the actual trail however, which was awesome. The temp at the top was hovering around 30-32 degrees, after the descent, we shuttled back up to the top for another run downhill. It was killer bunches of snow were falling from the trees and nailing you on the downhill. So fast and flowy, plus the whoops at the top are a blast.

Glad to Be Alive
    some pics....dry and dry

SLO Mtn biker!
    Thanks for the updates! Got a group going up there this Tuesday (no hikers during mid-week!) for the 1st of many daytrips this year, so it should be good fun.

@Okie Dokie, SMT is right, nothing worth the 2 hr drive west to Nipomo - the good stuff is 20 mins more north in the San Luis Obispo area. But then you're talking a full 2 hours NW of Pinos at that point.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuke
    ..... (no hikers during mid-week!) ....
    The above statement is categorically untrue! Please be aware that hikers could be on the trail at any time. 'k? Thanks!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast