Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Mt. Pinos is primed and ready.

Looks like the snow never came. No downed trees no obstacles just the perfect beauty you expect from Pinos. A little snow patch at the start of south ridge but thats it.

Now go and have fun.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Good to know. Thanks for the update.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

Glad to Be Alive
    I am so there Saturday
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Green Mojo
    I have been axiously awaiting this news. I am there next week.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Any patches of snow on the Harvest trail down from the XC center?

mtbr member
    Pic taken yesterday from right where you drop off the Nordic Center lot to Harvest. That snow will be gone soon-- heat wave coming!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bionically Modified

mtbr member
    Rode it yesterday - didn't see but a bike or two out there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Thanks for the pic! Looks more than ready to ride!

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyDi
    Pic taken yesterday from right where you drop off the Nordic Center lot to Harvest. That snow will be gone soon-- heat wave coming!!
    any mud on the trail at all???
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    I should clarify that we were hiking, not biking-- a family thing. Stargazing lot to the top and back was plenty for my motley crew. For those who enjoy that bonus 2 mile climb, there are a few lingering patches of slushy snow in shady places on and around the road, just enough for kids to stomp around on and have a blast. One sno-melt puddle and moisture without mud. The actual summit, however, is perfectly clear and dry. Here I'm being mocked (I think) for making my boy bring his jacket on such a nice day:
    Bionically Modified

Trying a little
    rode it two weeks ago - fine and fun.
    fastest trail around.

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

Johny Sokko!
    Our club is having a ride there on the 1st! Thanks for the heads up!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    i haven't been up there in 20+ years.

what type of riding typifies the area? is there any DH trails? gimme some beta, plz.
    It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own.

- Cicero

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Both XC and Dh. Be strong and climb it or pound beers and bomb it, your choice. I love it both ways......Hey......That sounds.......

Go Lakers!
    Thanks for the info. I am planning a ride there over Memorial Day Weekend. I am so glad the snow is almost gone. Best trail to ride when you want to beat the heat in the Valley!
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift that's why they call it the present

Glad to Be Alive
    trail is in great shape.....some parts smoothed over in the last year........no snow on the trail.....about 4 or 5 patches to the side,....temps were perfect.....only problem is the people who have rode the trail already this year..they blown out some turns toward the bottom..........you brake before the turns not during them

mtbr member
    Hey Folks,

I love in Nipomo just north of Santa Maria on the coast and was wondering if it is worth the hike over to Mt. Pinos to bike the trail? And are there other trails in the area that are worth visiting as well? How long would it take to get there as well. Thanks for help.

Fat guy on a bike
    Man, after this hot weekend, need to get some elevation so I don't die from heat stroke. Pinos should be nice for that.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Okie Dokie
    Hey Folks,

I love in Nipomo just north of Santa Maria on the coast and was wondering if it is worth the hike over to Mt. Pinos to bike the trail? And are there other trails in the area that are worth visiting as well? How long would it take to get there as well. Thanks for help.
    2hour drive?? for one trail.....I would look for some rides in San luis Obispo...great area with trails there

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    trail is in great shape.....some parts smoothed over in the last year........no snow on the trail.....about 4 or 5 patches to the side,....temps were perfect.....only problem is the people who have rode the trail already this year..they blown out some turns toward the bottom..........you brake before the turns not during them
    Berms are like trainnig wheels, if you don't have balance use them.

I Suck
    May 2008
    Rode it 2 weeks ago. we did it 3 times that day. the top half is sick, nice jumps. can't wait to get back up there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Rode it this morning, what an epic ride, the temp at the bottom was 48 and cloudy, it was quite moist out, enough to where the trail was insanely tacky. About a third of the way up the climb encountered the first small patch of snow, by the time I reached the first campground area, (where there's a cutoff for another trail), everything had a nice blanket of white, including the trees, no snow on the actual trail however, which was awesome. The temp at the top was hovering around 30-32 degrees, after the descent, we shuttled back up to the top for another run downhill. It was killer bunches of snow were falling from the trees and nailing you on the downhill. So fast and flowy, plus the whoops at the top are a blast.

Glad to Be Alive
    some pics....dry and dry

SLO Mtn biker!
    Thanks for the updates! Got a group going up there this Tuesday (no hikers during mid-week!) for the 1st of many daytrips this year, so it should be good fun.

@Okie Dokie, SMT is right, nothing worth the 2 hr drive west to Nipomo - the good stuff is 20 mins more north in the San Luis Obispo area. But then you're talking a full 2 hours NW of Pinos at that point.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuke
    ..... (no hikers during mid-week!) ....
    The above statement is categorically untrue! Please be aware that hikers could be on the trail at any time. 'k? Thanks!
    Bionically Modified

SLO Mtn biker!
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyDi
    The above statement is categorically untrue! Please be aware that hikers could be on the trail at any time. 'k? Thanks!
    Sorry, I meant compared to the weekends.

p.s. And we use bells there.

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    You know dudes, I like speed as much as the next guy, but full on moto helmets & gear/bikes on what is essentally a cross country multi purpose trail is a bit over the top.
    We gotta tone it down a bit, don't want to get tossed off the mountain by the forrest cops.
    There are other trails that really call for that equipment, just a thought.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    shiver, nice pics!! i wanna go.

so the Lakers.. wtf? Celts shot 38 free throws, the Lakers shot 10. you don't need to be a conspiracy theorist nutjob to see that that is totall phucked up.
    It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own.

- Cicero

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kneecap
    You know dudes, I like speed as much as the next guy, but full on moto helmets & gear/bikes on what is essentally a cross country multi purpose trail is a bit over the top.
    We gotta tone it down a bit, don't want to get tossed off the mountain by the forrest cops.
    There are other trails that really call for that equipment, just a thought.

Yep. I have seen groups of guys riding down McGill with full on pads, full face helmets, and 6"+ travel bikes.

I guess if that is all you have, ok. But these guys were trying their best to ride like their favorite DVD from Whistler on a trail with no bump/rock bigger than 8-10".

Lame.

Personal bias showing, but one thing leads to another....trail closure.
    Blog Ramblings

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mild beast
    in the short time that i've been on this site, i've seen way more than enough of members pissing on another member's parade for NO PHUCKING REASON.

stupid. i don't know why you gotta do that $hit. it's so pu$$y. b!tchmade.

if you don't like that kind of riding or those bikes, too phucking bad. you make me sick.
    It is not the 'kind' of riding that is the issue, if by 'kind' you mean DH/Freeride, etc. The 'kind' of riding I don't like is a bunch of guys pedaling long travel bikes as fast as they can down a heavily used by Sierra Club grannies, pretty much buff, hiking type trail so they can feel sporty or whatever on their big hit bikes.

You can do THAT 'kind' of riding on any type of bike, rigid SS, whatever. But the shuttle and blitz mentality on that kind of trail is bad juju and what makes me sick is closed trails and adolescent acting morons making the battle against closures even harder than it needs to be.

Gee, three whole paragraphs without a potty mouth word. You should try it sometime.
    Blog Ramblings

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Well I ride Pinos with a full face and on my DH bike for the training. Pinos has the few interrupted climbs that I like to get my legs pumping. I also ride pinos on my 5 inch XC bike with a shell and still haul but I like riding my big bike because it's faster and thats why I sport the FF+pads. I wont get into the whole "I've been riding here for so and so years" but what i will say is that I talked to the rangers that work up at pinos from all the camping I do there and I have asked them about this stupid big bike vs small bike crap. They said It's a multi use trail and they have yet to receive any complaints. Stop crying and saying that DH'ers are gonna get this trail closed. It makes you sound like a little whiny girl. It's a multi-use area and soon you gonna see people with rifles walking around hunting deer.

Get out and ride and stop being so mad, life's too short to be bitter.

Oh, Pinos was nice on sat. again. Magic Johnson32 was ripping!

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmike00
    Well I ride Pinos with a full face and on my DH bike for the training. Pinos has the few interrupted climbs that I like to get my legs pumping. I also ride pinos on my 5 inch XC bike with a shell and still haul but I like riding my big bike because it's faster and thats why I sport the FF+pads. I wont get into the whole "I've been riding here for so and so years" but what i will say is that I talked to the rangers that work up at pinos from all the camping I do there and I have asked them about this stupid big bike vs small bike crap. They said It's a multi use trail and they have yet to receive any complaints. Stop crying and saying that DH'ers are gonna get this trail closed. It makes you sound like a little whiny girl. It's a multi-use area and soon you gonna see people with rifles walking around hunting deer.

Get out and ride and stop being so mad, life's too short to be bitter.

Oh, Pinos was nice on sat. again. Magic Johnson32 was ripping!
    You missed my point or perhaps I was not clear. It is not about what kind of rig a person sports, but how they are riding that is the issue. What tweaked me to flog this horse again was the purile attitude in the post I originally quoted.

You say you like to ride your "big bike' because it is faster. Faster than a 5" travel bike on a trail that you can roast on a hardtail? OK, but I can tell you are a standup guy and would not carry that kind of speed into all the blind corners on a multiuse trail. That would be a bad idea, I am sure you agree.

I have a personal bent toward disliking the shuttle mentality on this type of trail. I admitted that. Add a bunch of adolescent testosterone and enough travel to make any bump on that trail dissapear without using half of the suspensions potential and it is asking for trail damage and such. I know. I have fixed a lot of blown out corners and trail cuts up there, although I have no idea what kind of rider does that except a careless one lacking in skills.

I am not crying. Don't be dramatic. I am writing in reasonable tones.

What will get the trail closed is the army of people who want none of us riding there at all. Trail conflicts just make it easier.

I don't really care what I sound like to you, but I am not calling you any names.

Hunters? Poor example. Hunters don't bowl over the local Ladies Hiking and Tea Society by riding faster than they should on a heavily used public trail.

This is an old and tiring argument that transcends all kinds of sports I have been involved in. Personal liberty VS. personal responsibility. I can go real fast here, but should I?

I am not mad or bitter. It is odd in today's world where disagreement equates anger or bitterness. The guy that called myself and others out as some kind of wussy in not so nice terms...how was he doing on the mad/bitter scale?
    Blog Ramblings

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by mtroy
    It is not the 'kind' of riding that is the issue, if by 'kind' you mean DH/Freeride, etc. The 'kind' of riding I don't like is a bunch of guys pedaling long travel bikes as fast as they can down a heavily used by Sierra Club grannies, pretty much buff, hiking type trail so they can feel sporty or whatever on their big hit bikes.

You can do THAT 'kind' of riding on any type of bike, rigid SS, whatever. But the shuttle and blitz mentality on that kind of trail is bad juju and what makes me sick is closed trails and adolescent acting morons making the battle against closures even harder than it needs to be.

Gee, three whole paragraphs without a potty mouth word. You should try it sometime.

yeah I ride Pinos with a 10 inch travel rear, full face, and knee and shin guards....sometimes even chest protector......yeah I go fast......speeds easily topping over 30 miles an hour.....chest protector(pressure suit) keeps the scrapes to a minium....because you slide on your chest protector not body.....I do it for speed training, drifting (counter steering turns). I race expert DH..... There are a couple of pro DH riders in our group too....they hit speeds over 40.

but my groups wear bells.....we stop for all hikers....give climbing riders the right away......I have had hikers tell my group they appreciate us stopping because others on smaller bikes don't stop and they love our bells......my group doesn't skid through turns like I have seen many XC'ers do (blowing out corners)

Bottom line: it doesn't matter which bike you ride or what you wear for armour....all that matters is trail respect and etiguette

FYI..... I have rode it many times on a rigid...it is not hard at all...the DH bikes are more stable at higher speeds...that why I ride it instead of my xc bike
    Last edited by SHIVER ME TIMBERS; 06-09-2008 at 08:39 PM.

mtbr member

Kids and Grannies

...This is an old and tiring argument that transcends all kinds of sports I have been involved in. Personal liberty VS. personal responsibility. I can go real fast here, but should I?....
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    ...Bottom line: it doesn't matter which bike you ride or what you wear for armour....all that matters is trail respect and etiguette...
    Mtroy and SMT, you both make valid points. I appreciate your candor and your courteous tone re: this topic, though your personal goals and riding styles may be worlds apart you probably have some things in common.

It occasionally bears repeating that Mt. Pinos' trails are multi-use. To do so hurts no one, not even Mild Beast. I don't care whether folks shuttle or climb-- I just want to feel fairly secure, especially when I'm out there with my son, that everyone understands that Mt. Pinos is neither a mountain bike park nor an exclusive DH paradise. It is therefore prudent to issue periodic gentle reminders about kids, grannies, and trail etiquette for the edification of newcomers. I'm glad mtroy did, and SMT did, and here I'm doing it again, too.
    Bionically Modified

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    I think we are fortunate to have a trail like pinos to ride mountain bikes on. I take newbys there because it's such a senic area & is easy enough for almost anyone (yea we shuttle it also). Even if you guys see hikers when traveling at (quoted) 40+ mph how do you slow or stop to let them WALK by? Try to look at this from other trail users point of view.
    I'm guessing downhill racing must be much easier than I imagined if you can train on a smooth walking path with hikers /pets & kids.
    I ridden & raced dirt bikes & seen offroad areas disappear forever.
    Last edited by kneecap; 06-10-2008 at 09:56 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I think everyone needs to chill the Phuck Out! This argument is just a waste of energy and time. We all ride bikes for the love of the bike not because we support a certain sub-category within our sport. Pinos will always be there to be ridden wether it be up or down, lets all take a deep breath and be thank-full to God, Buddah, jesus, Satan or who ever that we have this beautiful trail to enjoy.

Mike.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    I think everyone needs to chill the Phuck Out! This argument is just a waste of energy and time. We all ride bikes for the love of the bike not because we support a certain sub-category within our sport. Pinos will always be there to be ridden wether it be up or down, lets all take a deep breath and be thank-full to God, Buddah, jesus, Satan or who ever that we have this beautiful trail to enjoy.

Mike.
    It is not a waste of energy or time if you can educate someone to be aware of riding responsibly. There are likely two reasons that someone would race down this kind of trail: They are ignorant of their actions or they are in it only for themselves and do not care what may happen. If the one who is unaware pauses to think about their actions and rides with more caution then we have helped the world grow up a bit more. The other person will likely will never learn or listen to others. Pearls before swine.

We all ride cuz we love bikes. Agreed.

Pinos may not always be there to ride on. We used to be able to ride in lots of public land we no longer have access to.

This is not a battle of up VS. down or any category in particular. The person who have called us out seem to be in the DH bent where the name of the game is speed, drops, jumps, etc. Of course it is, or why all the travel and body armor? The issue...again...is how you ride, not what.

You go the thankful part right. I choose God.
    Blog Ramblings

DIRT DART
    sounds like Mild Beast is one Redbull short of a brain aneurysm.

dude just chill out, this is a forum for people to voice there opinions, if you don't agree with someone thats fine you are allowed to voice yours but seriously using soooo much profanity doesn't get your point across any better it just makes you look like a big tool.

peace

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    i only poach when i know i won't be caught

- Cicero

mtbr member
    i only poach when i know i won't be caught

LOL!

Hey, I've done rides with guys on both ends of this argument (SMT & Kneejerk.....I mean cap!)
    Both are cool and responsible guys, and on any given days could be riding very extreme or very mellow. Just saying, we all have a lot in common, and looks/internet posts can be deceiving!

scott

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

didn't want to get involved in the beginning, but I changed my mind

Regardless of how smart you think you are on this forum, regardless of how experienced you are and how you “always” stop for “all” hikers and other bikers, etc. - the truth is only one & you can’t fight reality.

I went up there this Saturday for the 3rd time this year and the trail is in worst shape then at the beginning of the winter last year after a full season, bumpy from excessive braking (fast riding), brake skids all over, destroyed hair pin turns, in some places is unnecessary wide (fast riders can’t keep it on trail), “shortcuts” created by the “fast” bikers, I even saw trash thrown at places in the woods.
    Four weeks ago the trail was as smooth as a dream after the winter and the ride was beautiful. This past Saturday I saw big groups of brave bikers fallowed by clouds of dust pedaling downhill waaay too fast for such trail, with cameras and DH bikes - I don’t know how can they stop for hikers as everybody says here if they go 30mph in short visibility turns – it didn’t seem to me they were there to enjoy the scenery.
    They are the same guys that at the base parking lot are loading the bikes and spin the wheels in the gravel and dust everybody around when they shuttle to hit the top again.

I meet several hikers and the ones I spoke with they were angry about the number of bikers and about how unsafe (for them) the trail become.
    I spoke with one forest ranger I meet in the top parking lot and with the host at one of the camps and they told me that biking is the most easy to interdict there - they just have to apply for at the Forest Ranger Station down in Frazier Park and it will get passed like this, then they only have to replace the few existing signage along the trail with “no biking” signs and fine the bikers after that. Yes, is as easy as that.
    They told me that even now if the ranger considers that you ride your bike aggressively anywhere on the mountain you will get a fine and your bike confiscated.
    Everybody agreed they never saw on Pinos so many & aggressive bikers as last Saturday.

So regardless of what you think about it, those groups of “experienced” & fast bikers are putting the rest of us in a bad position, they are pushing the forest authorities to stand against us and eventually to close the trail for bikers.
    And why is that? Because some guys think they’re tough or they make their DVD on this intermediate trail?
    I don’t want to support the consequences from the action of a few irresponsible morons.
    Pinos is not a bike park and we should all obey the rules, slow down, be courteous and if you feel you are too fast or too good for this trail, give us a break & go elsewhere.
    Is a beautiful place and I wanted to be able to keep riding it.
    Last edited by razteo; 06-10-2008 at 05:53 PM.

Don't skid
    I have ridden this trail several times. It is a smooth XC type trail, definately not a DH trail. I usually shuttle it (yes I'm lazy), but I try to ride down responsibly. There is a time and place for 30-40 mph DHing (like Mammoth or a race course) but its not here. If you ride like that the best case scenerio is that you blow out corners and skid all over the place. The worst case could result in trail closures.
    The bottom half of the trail is some really nice, tight, scenic singletrack. Let's try to keep it that way because that's hard to find in SoCal. If you can't appricaite that type of riding maybe you should consider riding somewhere else. If we police ourselves, others won't have too.
    The Revolution will not be motorized...especially at $5 per gallon.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Glad to Be Alive
    See you Saturday boyz..

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I'm heading up Saturday too, might camp and do some trail work(block off the inside line on the bottom sweeping left-hander. I started this thread because I wanted to give my brothers(XC'ers and DH'ers) the heads up on the trail and like everything else when you mix the two it turned into a big cluster phuck. I just don't understand why its only full face wearing, football looking riders that are blamed for the brake bumps and skids? If you truly ride both you would know that riding dh takes more finesse to make turns and modulating brakes to slow down. There are people that think big dumb Dh'ers just pedal and skid, pedal and skid. They couldn't be further from the truth.

mtbr member

- Cicero
    Hmm...

Glad to Be Alive
    I'm heading up Saturday too, might camp and do some trail work(block off the inside line on the bottom sweeping left-hander. I started this thread because I wanted to give my brothers(XC'ers and DH'ers) the heads up on the trail and like everything else when you mix the two it turned into a big cluster phuck. I just don't understand why its only full face wearing, football looking riders that are blamed for the brake bumps and skids? If you truly ride both you would know that riding dh takes more finesse to make turns and modulating brakes to slow down. There are people that think big dumb Dh'ers just pedal and skid, pedal and skid. They couldn't be further from the truth.

see you around 10 or 10:30.....will be at bottom....shuttling mid-runs

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    No, no, no, no....haven't you been reading this? One more time, just for you. I have said several times that it is the way it is being ridden, not on what it is being ridden that is the issue. If you are racing the trail on a unicycle, that is an issue.

However, the mindset that has been very aptly displayed here in this thread points to a predisposition of a shuttled rider on a big hit bike all dressed up wanted to be like Darren Barrecloth (sp?...sorry D.) or whoever is starring in Cranked IV,on a smooth, forest trail. It does not mean all DHers are the problem, but obviously some are. Not all XC riders are the problem either, but I am sure some are.

The sad thing is, this should not be a devisive issue amongst us, but it always will be. Until the trail is closed, then we will argue about something else.
    Blog Ramblings

DIRT DART
    If you are racing the trail on a unicycle, that is an issue.
    now wait a minute........so your saying that all of these trails are getting torn up by unicyclists in full downhill gear?

JK

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by b-40
    now wait a minute........so your saying that all of these trails are getting torn up by unicyclists in full downhill gear?

JK
    I suspect that to be the case.
    Blog Ramblings

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast