Thread: Mt. Lukens?

mtbr member

Mt. Lukens?

I noticed a trail right below the summit of Mt. Lukens that drops down to big tujunga canyon. Anyone know if its ridable all the way down? I heard something about a pretty sketchy creek near the bottom

b a n n e d
    If its the Blue Bug Trail, then yes its rideable all the way down and an incredibly fun trail at that. I rode up Luken's from the fire station and then dropped down the other side via Blue Bug. We shuttled back to the car. What for 'Hawg or JimN to chime in.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    You're referring to the Stone Canyon trail. I can't report on current conditions, as I haven't ridden it since before the Station Fire. It used to be a nice trail that was largely maintained by one local guy. Since moving to the Westside, I don't ride in that area much anymore. It's very possible that the trail wasn't completely lost to the fire and has been worked back into rideable condition. You might try searching around on local hiking group websites to see if there's been any recent activity on the trail.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Stone Canyon trail survived the Station Fire, but its been more than a year since I've been on it. When I last rode it, the trail was in decent shape, without many washouts. Even if the trail is good to go, there's still the matter of getting back out. The trail up to Grizzly Flat via Dark Canyon had a tendency to get overgrown. Any updates on that?

mtbr member
    It's not blue bug. I was thinking of trying to make a loop back to haines canyon somehow

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Stone Canyon Trail is loose and locally rocky - I bent a rear axle about 2/3 of the way down last year. The riverbed at the bottom is unrideable - loose sand and boulders - but head downcanyon about 200', cross to the north side, and you may be able to pick up the old dozer road that continues west (downcanyon) to the parking lot. At the lot, turn up onto Big T Road, head down the road until the canyon widens out (just past the County Probation Camp), and look for a way to get up onto the dirt road at the foot of the ridge to the east. It's called Graveyard Truck Trail, I think, and it's a totally forgettable dirt road that winds around the base of the ridge, up and over a small hill, around some more gullies, and drops down to hit Haines Canyon Motorway right by the debris basin. This is actually part of the Rim of the Valley Trail alignment, but you'll notice a lot of private property signs where Tujunga Canyon first widens out, so don't plan on easy access or a well-maintained trail. If there are too many signs, continue down Big T another third of a mile (I'm guessing) and look for the big gully coming down to Big T from the east just before you reach the baseball fields. There are dirt roads and trails from Big T up to Graveyard TT on both sides of that gully. If THAT'S blocked, continue down Big T to I-dunno-what-it's-called, some big street (the first real street you come to) just past the first concrete-walled subdivision you pass heading downcanyon. Turn left up that road, and take the first left on Alpine Way. Ride all the way up Alpine Way to the tiny parking lot on the left at the end. A dirt road leads from that parking lot up to Graveyard TT. Have fun exploring!