Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Mt Lion Sullivan Canyon 11-7-07

Hello everybody...this is my first time posting here.

My friend Tom called tonight about 5:00 p.m. and said at the bottom of Sullivan Canyon he came across a very big mountian lion on the trail.

The lion heard him, turned to look at him and ran off. He waited to warn a few hikers with dogs.

Anyway, just thought I would put this out there for those of us, like myself, who ride the canyon alone frequently to be aware. I'm putting my bear bell from Whistler back on my Ibis!

He also said as he turned back he saw something and thought there possibly may have been two.

Happy trails!

Cheryl

Stray Bullet
    Thanks for the warning!

Was you friend finishing up or starting a night ride?

A buddy of mine saw a big kitty at the begin of Sully several months ago.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    which Sullivan Cyn are you referring to Santa Monica, or Orange County?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Sorry, I didn't know there was one in OC.
    e
    Santa Monica.

At the bottom, after the littel drop into the wash..
    Tom has been riding the SM mountains for many years and he rides Sullivan Canyon probably 3 days a week...he said the lion was BIG...
    Maybe P1?

always learning
    I always have my bear bell on to go down Sullivan for hikers and such, now I might leave it on there for the climbs too

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    My friend was finishing up his ride...he only comes down that trail. ;-)

I think I am using two bells....I was wondering when the fires were going on if they got chased out of their area? Oh, well, everyone be safe and try to ride with a partner.

Stray Bullet
    I might have to add a bell to the back of my bike to compliment the one in front.

Blinking light on the back would also help if riding at night.

Front Range, Colorado
    Yeah we do live amongst them. It is beleived we as outdoorsman have been watched thousands of times by them without us ever realising it. If you see one concider yourself very lucky, as it is a rare sight indeed. They are very illusive and would rather run from a human than attack. But they do once in awhile. And when they do, nine attacks out of ten, the lion is an inmature male. Sorta like a teenage male human, you know all confused about what to chase. A cow bell is a good deterent to warn them you are coming. Oh and also you said he may have seen two together. This was highly unlikely, the only time two come together is to mate in the spring. Once they mate they go thier own way. A full grown lion has to have his or her own territory that covers 150 square miles. Are you sure it wasn't a Bobcat? Just kidding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Hope Not a bobcat. ;-)

My friend has been riding for years very knowledgable about lions and the like.

It was definately not a bobcat...again, it was very large.
    I like what you said about them watching us...erie feeling for sure.

Ever have that feeling when you riding ...someone is watching me?
    Thanks, Dirt Junkie

pewpewpew Moderator
    Time to ride faster!

Thanks for the heads up stenogirl!
    Love, Impy

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
    generally speaking, if you see it, you've got nothing to worry about.

YR

Glad to Be Alive
    welcome to the forum.....thanks for warning
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Lindsay

from www.localhikes.com as well.........

Reviewed by Mike on 4/2/2007
    Great hike up to Mulholland on top of the Santa Monica mountains! Can see the Valley and LA in each direction. Be fit - pretty tough hike. And for a climax - got growled at by a mountian lion on the way back down and deep in the Sullian valley around 6-ish. Big one too! Go with buddies and watch your back. Gotta love LA!
    Reviewed by roland13x on 7/24/2006
    As described...not too many grand visuals, but it was a really nice hike. There are plenty of side and ridge trails to explore as you go. Wasn't too crowded at all with only a few bikers seen on the fireroad. We did come across a cougar who was clearly as tired from the heat as we were. Use caution though and make sure you hike with a buddy. Also, there were lots of bees nests in the cliff sides (and in some tree holes). They were rather aggressive at times.
    Reviewed by Steve on 9/29/2005
    I rode this tonight (mtn bike) from the trailhead off Queensferry. About 2 1/2 miles up, I saw a large cat (actually, I heard it first, then spotted it on the hill). I'm pretty sure it was a mountain lion, due to its size. Please be careful on this trail at night--go with a friend if you must. The LA County Ranger told me that it's a good idea to have a whistle and mace at night on this trail. He also told me that if the cat attacks, I should use my bike to defend myself. FYI.

Believer in Darwin
    Weird. Rode up to Sulli last night and rode up the canyon. I timed myself and my watch said 5.11pm.. I started right at the wash at the bottom and didn't see a thing the whole way up. Not even a person coming down.
    I always have a "bear bell" on my cables. Some prefer to call it a "dinner" bell but it works well for animals and humans alike.
    paz afuera

Knomer
    Wow. Haven't heard of lion sightings in Sulli for a few years. Not surprising tho, with all the grass & plants for the deer to eat in neighboring Mandeville Canyon, the cats are always around. The fact that this one has been sighted by so many people would allude that it's becoming conditioned to humans.....not good.

RIP 12/95 - 02/09

Bear Bell?

What's a bear bell?

always learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywest
    What's a bear bell?
    Small bell that velcros on, it constantly jingles unlike a regular bike bell so you don't have to keep hitting a lever the whole time you're riding. A tip too is to put it on the front of your bike, if you put it on your backpack or seat your body will block the sound from people (or cats) in front of you.

mtbr member
    Maybe it was P1, or P8. Here's an interesting blurb about known lions in the Santa Monicas. And, ooh-- look they've made a movie about poor P2, who died defending her cubs from their own father. A gripping nature saga! The site, with trailer: http://www.p2themovie.com/ ...Heyyyy, mountain lions don't hang out in parking garages!!

mtbr member
    I'm planning to head out for a evening sully cyn loop tonight, right around feedin time.

i never really worried about them heading this far east, and on such a high traffic trail.... but I guess where it's the most lush, you get deer, and where there is prey there are predators. thanks for the heads up

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tgreathead
    Small bell that velcros on, it constantly jingles unlike a regular bike bell so you don't have to keep hitting a lever the whole time you're riding. A tip too is to put it on the front of your bike, if you put it on your backpack or seat your body will block the sound from people (or cats) in front of you.
    My cats play with jingly things like that. There has been speculation that a better mountain lion deterrent might be a simple halloween mask worn on the back of ones' head (it confuses them). A really primo mtb helmet design for lion country would therefore incorporate a face in back, um... eeeew.

Stray Bullet
    Quote Originally Posted by tgreathead
    Probably a good idea to run two(front and back) since cats generally attack from behind.

Quote Originally Posted by ladydi
    My cats play with jingly things like that. There has been speculation that a better mountain lion deterrent might be a simple halloween mask worn on the back of ones' head (it confuses them). A really primo mtb helmet design for lion country would therefore incorporate a face in back, um... eeeew.
    Tribes in the amazon to guard against being attached by Jaguars and Pumas walk in a straight line, the last person wears a mask on the back of their head. Since the cats want to stalk you it works perfectly.

mtbr member
    Very interesting... Rode down Sullivan Canyon last night at around 7PM. It was clear at the top where the trail meets the fire-road but got eerily foggy descending. Couldn't help thinking about all the critters checking things out from the darkness...

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

here is some cat food on sullivan

I took this pic as I was climbing the canyon. I don't know why, but I always feel like there is something watching me as I ride there. I see so many animals there, (lizards, snakes, birds, coyotes, deer, a big ass skunk one day, etc). That leads me to believe that Sullivan would be one of the best places for a big kitty to live, because there would be plentiful snacks, etc. Water also flows there whenever it rains, good for life, plants, and animals. I keep my camera ready as i climb, hoping to catch a pic of a big cat one day. I also ride there at night, and recently with the marine layer there has been as little as 20 feet visibility even with a HID light.
    I know it is futile if it really came down to using them, but along with my bell I have a tactical light in my pocket and a pig sticker on my waist. (A tactical light is a powerful handheld flashlight with a beveled end used to blind and bash people in the face/eyes, with or with out strobe). I am not naive enough to believe that if a human were to go toe to toe with a pissed lion one of us would even have a chance, knife or not. But if my face was getting eaten, I would like to at least be able to try and fight back...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Knomer
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyDi
    A popular alternative to the mask is to glue some stuffed animal eyes onto the back of your helmet. The ones with the black pupil that jiggles. This ruins the lion's "element of surprise" attack scheme.

mtbr member

This is lion food

Not bobcat food.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast