r99
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Mt Biking Eastern Sierras/Owens Valley?

I have spent some time backpacking near lone pine and always wondered what the XC Mt biking was like out there. I'm hoping to do a second Mt biking trip somewhere in the Sierras this summer (after Tahoe) so if anyone has suggestions on where let me know.

Over the Hill
    Lower Rock Creek above Bishop and Mammoth Bike Park.

Dean

moe.
    Sep 2005

I was just there last week!

Lower rocky creek between Bishop and Mammoth is definitely one of the best trails I have been on. The upper half is a fast XC route with a great flow to it. The lower half is techy and can be ridden on a XC or more of an all mountain type bike. Full face helmets are not a bad idea on the lower part of lower rocky creek. Enjoy!
    "These people take a dump thatís a bigger difference than the a 5 Spot and a Blur LTc." DT

r99
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I was hoping to do a 3-4 days of riding there. Are their enough trails to keep me busy? I'm not interested in the mammoth bike park. I like doing long rides that go out into the wilderness.

Over the Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by r99
    I like doing long rides that go out into the wilderness.
    Yep I know what you are talking about, and as far as I know, Eastern Sierras not much there. Some decent stuff above the Kernville Area.

To find what you are looking for you will have more luck on the Nor-Cal board. Orge has been posting up some rides that may work for you.

mtbr member

trails

hey, i got a book for christmas, mountain biking eastern sierra's best 100 trails, or something rather. since my wife's family is from bishop, there's not much to do for city folks like myself but to ride. much of the trails in the book are fireroads and are in the middle of no where which is not my cup of tea. i'd give you the book but my sister in law gave it to me good luck. let me know if you find anything good.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

there is plenty of riding there.

I grew up in Bishop. BUHS class of 70. The book mentioned is historical, but most of the land is still accessible for a short while. Use the book as a guide to start exploring from.

Do Rock Creek, but if you want it to be long, start at Rock Creek Lake if it's still legal. Do the ride from South Fork Bishop Creek to Big Pine Creek via Coyote Flats. It's still open this year. Definitly go up into the Whites and hit the epic downhills into the valley or off to the east to Fish Lake Valley.

Check out the petition in "save the trails forum too". Land all over the state is endangered.

Greg

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    A while back, somebody posted up a link to an old thread about riding to the top of White Mountain, above the bristlecones. The ride was fire road and hike a bike, but any ride to over 14,000 feet is pretty epic in my book. The photos were very cool.

I believe there are interesting trails around Mammoth OUTSIDE the bike park, and perhaps in the NF area between Mammoth and June Lakes

I think a challenge to good trails on the east side of the Sierras is how steep the east slope is in general, and how sparsley populated that area is.
    Last edited by HarryCallahan; 04-30-2007 at 07:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    The MountainView Trail is up the road from Mammoth and a fun single track. You ride up the "Uptown" trail from the village in Mammoth, and look for the sign to the earthquake fault. It starts there, and climbs all the way up to the lookout above mammoth. Totally legal and not on the Mammoth MTB park grounds. Another option is the Mammoth Rock trail which starts out by the lake.

These are both short enough to do in a single day. There are lots of fireroad options out to the craters and the other areas north of highway 203 in Mammoth. I usually just go get lost and use my GPS to explore and track back to the start.

If you're up there, you're not far from Tahoe. Lots of good riding there.
    http://www.bioniconusa.com - Bionicon USA
    http://otbmbc.com - Over the Bars MTB Club
    http://corbamtb.com - CORBA

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Oh yeah, White Mountain Peak.

The trailhead is at 12,000 feet. The road (yes it's a road) is very technical. As you cross the 14,000 ft. zone it is steep, and loose, sharp rocks. and then there is the breathing challenge. For everyone it is different. In 04 I went with an old high school friend, from the trailhead it is 7 miles to the top. Round trip took 5 hours. Views are stunning in all directions.
    Attached Images Attached Images

r99
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    That picture looked spectacular. I love the eastern sierras and i plan on doing the white mountain trail sometime this summer. Thanks for the advice guys and keep it comming.

dft
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GregB406
    The trailhead is at 12,000 feet. The road (yes it's a road) is very technical. As you cross the 14,000 ft. zone it is steep, and loose, sharp rocks. and then there is the breathing challenge. For everyone it is different. In 04 I went with an old high school friend, from the trailhead it is 7 miles to the top. Round trip took 5 hours. Views are stunning in all directions.
    the whites are epic indeed. i've done white mountain about 5 times, once all the way from the bottom. we started at 4am from LAWWs in bishop, total loop is ~66 miles and 14,000 feet of climbing, brutal!!! the rest of the times i would shuttle to 12,000, up to 14,250, then down to 4000 (via silver canyon). i'd love to explore more in the whites. i've done most of black canyon (another 6k rocky fast fireraod drop). the backside also has some real remote stuff that drops into nevada for big descents.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I drool over the backside. Cottonwood creek. That ride would be huge. Multi day if you take a wrong turn. always been curious about Black Canyon too.

I want to remind everyone to join IMBA. Get informed. The entire White mountains except the road to the summit is in the sights of the next wilderness bill. Damn, I want to ride this stuff legally someday. Lets do everything to keep it open.

Crop Dusting Magistrate
    Sep 2005
    Cottonwood creek is awesome - but take a GPS. Freaking EPIC ride.
    It wasn't me

dft
    mtbr member
    howeler, i still got that email saved from you when you gave me info about white mountain backside drops, black canyon, etc. still want to do some major exploring up there. some super rugged 6000 foot remote 4x4 trails waiting to be ridden.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Cottonwood Creek is the classic White Mountains ride (apart from Laws to the White Mt Peak summit). The ride I did was a loop that starts at or near at the Crooked Creek Research Center (the one at 10,200').

Starts by taking the main White Mt Peak road to maybe 11,600’ or so (a couple miles past the Patriarch Tree but before the gate), where a faint dirt road shoots up and right (north east). It climbs a bit, then descends north east past the old Eve Belle Mine. This is sweet terrain; you are deep in the bristlecone forest here. The dirt road ends at the headwaters (Cottonwood Basin). The very faint single-track downstream (south east) seems like more of a cattle trail than anything intended for hikers or bikers. The single-track does gets better during the several mile descent.

Key to this ride is making the right turn south west (still single-track) up into Granite Basin. Pretty obvious geography, but miss this turn and you will end up nowhere you want be. Granite Basin is the shizzle; very pretty and very isolated country. The route stays single-track (maybe turns into jeep track) as you descend the canyon whereupon you finally reach a dirt road. It’s up a 800’ ish climb to a saddle, then a descent into Crooked Creek and a couple miles gentle uphill dirt road west back to the car.

Hazy memory says 5 hours-ish.

dft
    mtbr member
    [QUOTE=RockitJeff]Cottonwood Creek is the classic White Mountains ride (apart from Laws to the White Mt Peak summit). The ride I did was a loop that starts at or near at the Crooked Creek Research Center (the one at 10,200').

/[QUOTE]

that sounds pretty cool. i still really haven't met anyone yet describe a full backside descent (down the rough 4x4 trial), all the way to the neveda desert side, that would be cool!! also north of WM peak is the highest peak in neveda, could be real cool? i have also heard of a potential singletrack descent off of grandview campground that might drop to the valley floor, but only heard small tidbits about that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by RockitJeff
    Cottonwood Creek is the classic White Mountains ride (apart from Laws to the White Mt Peak summit). The ride I did was a loop that starts at or near at the Crooked Creek Research Center (the one at 10,200').

Starts by taking the main White Mt Peak road to maybe 11,600í or so (a couple miles past the Patriarch Tree but before the gate), where a faint dirt road shoots up and right (north east). It climbs a bit, then descends north east past the old Eve Belle Mine. This is sweet terrain; you are deep in the bristlecone forest here. The dirt road ends at the headwaters (Cottonwood Basin). The very faint single-track downstream (south east) seems like more of a cattle trail than anything intended for hikers or bikers. The single-track does gets better during the several mile descent.

Key to this ride is making the right turn south west (still single-track) up into Granite Basin. Pretty obvious geography, but miss this turn and you will end up nowhere you want be. Granite Basin is the shizzle; very pretty and very isolated country. The route stays single-track (maybe turns into jeep track) as you descend the canyon whereupon you finally reach a dirt road. Itís up a 800í ish climb to a saddle, then a descent into Crooked Creek and a couple miles gentle uphill dirt road west back to the car.

Hazy memory says 5 hours-ish.

I did this ride on a mx bike several years ago starting at the bottom of silver canyon. Pretty cool scenery back there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Also, check out Black Canyon Ride in the Whites - definately a local favorite. A couple different ways into it - the legal way is described in "Mountain Biking Mammoth" guide book.

mtbr member
    check out soldier canyon its south out of big pine....not too many trails but awesome freeriding....stage coach is good too thats above rock creek off of the road to swall meadows... always consider the june lake area, sick singletrack on dirt!! not pumice...

dft
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by soulriderx
    Also, check out Black Canyon Ride in the Whites - definately a local favorite. A couple different ways into it - the legal way is described in "Mountain Biking Mammoth" guide book.
    have you done black canyon? i climbed it about 4000-5000 then turned around? there was a couple splits in the fireroad. it was fast fireroad descending with some rocky sections, narrow canyons, pretty cool.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Check Fatbikemammoth.com for some ride ideas.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Great Pic I gotta ride that!