mtbr member

Mt. Baldy Riding.

Now that the snow is melted, I'm looking at the mountain towering above campus and contemplating the ski lift runs down in. Has anybody ridden at baldy? What is the trail system like? USGS maps only show one fire road that loops around from the top, but I find it hard to belive that it's the only thing up there. Anybody have reccomendations for a route down? I'm looking for singletrack preferably. No huge drops if possible (although I'd like to know where they are for when I get my fulsus up and running). Basically, is it worth the 10 bucks?

mtbr member
    Oh, man we did Baldy once instead of big bear and it was a miserable time. Keep in mind this was about 10 years ago and it may have changed since then, but heres my exp. Having done big bear multiple times we thought Baldy would have be great since its awesome for boarding, close, technical type backcountry. We call to make sure the lifts are open and mtbs are permited. When we get there we find that the cost is $20 and only the bottom chair is running. If you know Baldy this is a very short lift from the parking lot to the lodge. We take it up to the lodge and and start climbing the fire road. after an 1/2 hour we decide to turn around and go down take a look at the map to see if we can find any trails instead of fire road. We go busting down the road, loose graval, and stop to talk to the lift worker at the lodge. Hes of little help so we bust back down to the parking lot to ask someone alse. We were told that were not allowed to stray from the fire road and stay off the ski runs. A little bummed we attempt to go back up on the lift to ride out the fire road when he stops us and tells us its 20 per lift! We were pissed and started going off on the guy. Long story short we drove down the road pulled over at a access fire road and started riding from there. The day was basically 4 hours of climbing and 1/2hr of descending.

Before you go call to see whats available.

wayne
    89 Univega HT -???-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -stolen-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    94 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    97 Klien Mantra -sold-
    01 Specd enduro FSR
    02 Specd enduro FSR -sold-
    04 Specd stumpjumper FSR
    05 Specd enduro FSR Sworks

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by skatetokil
    Now that the snow is melted, I'm looking at the mountain towering above campus and contemplating the ski lift runs down in. Has anybody ridden at baldy? What is the trail system like? USGS maps only show one fire road that loops around from the top, but I find it hard to belive that it's the only thing up there. Anybody have reccomendations for a route down? I'm looking for singletrack preferably. No huge drops if possible (although I'd like to know where they are for when I get my fulsus up and running). Basically, is it worth the 10 bucks?

I have ridden Mt. Baldy a few times. In those experiences if you don't downhill it is not worth it. You do have to pay for each time up the ski lift. The terrain is good if you want loose rock over rock . The are few choices or trails you have to ride. There use to be races up there maybe 8 years ago. That has stoped. You can ride up there it is just not worth it, in my opinion. If you live local there are better rides in that area. Even if you don't live local but want to ride in that area there are better choices. If you want to altitude ride then consider Mt. High. The trails are ok , better than Blady in my opinion.Ridding in Mt. High is cool because you get to check out the terrain and camp sites that you do not see when sking. Here are my suggestions for ridding in the areas which are close.

1. Marshall Canyon: At the foothill of Mt. Baldy. Mills and Basline are the intersection and you can exit Baseline off of the 210 fwy. Mills all the way to the top.
    You can take Claremont Wilderness park into Mt. Baldy. That trail gives you ALL climbing to the top. I think the trail in called Burbank which takes you to the top, the trail branches off the the trail LOOK FOR THE WATER TOWER to get there(go right). Marchall Canyon still has some good ridding in there , even after the fires.

2. Glendorea MT. Road. There is a trail which you can take into MT. Baldy The dirt path is just past the Yellow Gate (the big one which stops the cars) When you come to the smaller yellow gate on the left side that is the path you take to climb. Whe you come to the work shack/ gated area you go throught the paved road and continue on the dirt path to Mt. Baldy. Count on a day of all climbing.
    Getting there is easy just requires more directions . Check out a book or a website that will give you directions.

Good luck with the ridding.

mtbr member
    yeah, I do the marshall canyon ride almost every weekend. Where does this glendora trail go? is it by san. antonio falls (if so I know the trail you're talking about)? I am also riding a hoss of a bike and am very lazy so the chairlift idea sounded good to me. When was the last time you went up there? Their website seems to indicate that it is possible for students to buy an afternoon pass on the lift for 10 bucks, which really isn't so bad if there are things to ride. I can deal with loose on rock since thats what everything is out here, but are the downhills particularly steep/technical? I like a good downhill as much as the next guy, but I'm riding with someone who has a little less experience and I myself have never done a ski lift run.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    yeah, I do the marshall canyon ride almost every weekend. Where does this glendora trail go? is it by san. antonio falls (if so I know the trail you're talking about)? I am also riding a hoss of a bike and am very lazy so the chairlift idea sounded good to me. When was the last time you went up there? Their website seems to indicate that it is possible for students to buy an afternoon pass on the lift for 10 bucks, which really isn't so bad if there are things to ride. I can deal with loose on rock since thats what everything is out here, but are the downhills particularly steep/technical? I like a good downhill as much as the next guy, but I'm riding with someone who has a little less experience and I myself have never done a ski lift run.

The Mt. Baldy terrain is not the usual rock over hardpack it really is rock over rock, there is also the usual terrain. In my opinion it sucks to ride up there. I know that there is a discount offered during the week , but to me it is just not worth it. I have ridden there more than one time. If you have skied or boarded there you know that the terrain is ROCKY which is why Mt.Baldy requires more snow to open than the average snow resort. That main reason is why the terrain sucks to ride there.
    Please don't get me wrong fire roads get boring and I enjoy the challenges of Mt. biking. But if your friend has little experience he may not enjoy the ride.The down hills are rocky and steep not what you experience in Marshall Canyon, not like that. I think the longest down hill there is the one that runs under the ski lift, ????
    Don't get me wrong I am sorry if it sounds like I am trying to talk you out of it.
    I just think for all the time required and the cost , there are better rides else where.
    Have you tried Chino Hills State Park? Or Monrovia Canyon??? Much better rides.
    If you want down hills there is some over in Fontana , off of Cherry Ave from the 60 Fwy.

Mt. Baldy is off the Hook every seven yeats when we auctually get a good amount of snow. Otherwise hiking there is cool too. Maybe I've been there too many times.
    Good Luck. I was think about going to Marshall Canyon tomorrow. That fire road that takes you to Baldy sounds good. Gonna need lots of water. Good Luck

Just passing through....
    I'm with Seatstay. The hiking is good, but those trails are closed to MTB's. All the good trails are down low, except for the San Antonio Falls fire road, and thats just a good workout with beautiful scenery, but nothing technical. Sunset peak off of Glendora Ridge Road isn't bad, but its not in great condition right now.
    If you want to play with electricity, more power to ya......