mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Mt. Baldy for DH?

A co-worker of mine mentioned that you can ride the lifts at Mt. Baldy during the summer and they have all the bike attachments on the lifts. I checked out their web page and they did have one mention of it in the prices, but no other verbiage on it.

Really curious if anyone rides there or has any other information.

Home

dft
    mtbr member
    its pretty weak.
    there are only a couple trails and they are real loose/shaley (not for everyone). a much better trail (but has alot of climbing) is to drop off the top of baldy peak, down bear flats trail. but this requires >4000 of climbing

Professional Troll
    Nah, nothing up there worth riding. Don't even waste your time.

Edit: or your money, forgot it was $50. JEEZ!

In Search of Singletrack
    Yeah, the one time I went up there it sucked. not worth it at all.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    So is Mammoth the closest Lift access and bike park?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    This smacks of "Surfing sucks, don't try it".

Big Hittin'
    Quote Originally Posted by twistedlizard720 View Post
    So is Mammoth the closest Lift access and bike park?
    yup.
    29er's are Goofy

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by probiscus View Post
    This smacks of "Surfing sucks, don't try it".
    huh? This isn't some bro culture here. Go up there if you want. Good luck finding any trails, there aren't any good ones.

Big Hittin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Juicen View Post
    at $50 for an all day lift ticket just allow yourself a little extra time and save some money by heading up to Snow Summit. they may not have a "bike park" (yet) but there is at least some decent riding.
    you can really save some cash if you have a couple guys splitting fuel costs for the drive.
    but i dont think they allow DH bikes. (yet)
    29er's are Goofy

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    at $50 for an all day lift ticket just allow yourself a little extra time and save some money by heading up to Snow Summit. they may not have a "bike park" (yet) but there is at least some decent riding.
    you can really save some cash if you have a couple guys splitting fuel costs for the drive.
    Juice

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    ive seen plenty of downhill bikes up there. website may state restrictions otherwise, but thats definitely not the case on the hill.

unless somebody else can chime in that they have run into this issue over the last season?
    Juice

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Juicen View Post
    ive seen plenty of downhill bikes up there. website may state restrictions otherwise, but thats definitely not the case on the hill.

unless somebody else can chime in that they have run into this issue over the last season?
    You're rolling the dice with bringing your big bike up there. I wouldn't reccomend it. MAYBE they'll let you on, maybe they won't, don't count on it. I've seen it go both ways, and usually it ends in tears.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05 View Post
    huh? This isn't some bro culture here. Go up there if you want. Good luck finding any trails, there aren't any good ones.
    Seriously. I was riding with a group of friends when I met a man and a women stopped at an intersection on the trail. He asked me how it was to the left, to which I said it was sandy and not worth riding. I guess he didn't believe me, because they went right ahead. Nothing but three miles of of sand after a quick and worthless descent the way he went.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I wouldn't count on getting on the lift at Snow Summit. They'd see that 46 lbs register on the scale when they weigh my rig and send me back. I guess thats a good reason to buy that Nomad. Even if you did get on the lift with a DH rig are there any trails you'd need that big of a bike for?

I did see another thread about rumors of them building a new park and it got me excited. I hope it happens.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    A trail report from a Mt Baldy ride:

Dirt Treaders Mountain Biking Community • View topic - Baldy double bagged

-edit-

Oh haha I think that was dft's ride....

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I have a 5" trail bike but with a 2.5" tire in front. Do you think they will allow my bike at Snow Summit?

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by laherna View Post
    I have a 5" trail bike but with a 2.5" tire in front. Do you think they will allow my bike at Snow Summit?
    Ya you'll probably be fine. They don't actually pull out a ruler, they just eyeball it. If it looks like a DH bike, no beuno.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I know its a bit farther but China Peak out of Fresno has plans to build some stuff and runs the chair lifts. Last year it was pretty much just mild single track but I spoke with some trail builder on the lift at Northstar and they said he was consulting on future trail building. Who knows, dude could have been blowing smoke? But my Specialized rep said they are going to be getting a rental fleet. Oh and I rode the Wooodward park ( not the Woodward west) in Clovis/Fresno and it was legit.
    Enjoy every ride!