mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Moving to Rancho Palos Verdes...

The family and I are moving from Colo Springs to Rancho Palos Verdes just before Christmas. I'm looking for information on the local rides and local groups. Any thing you can provide would be very helpful.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Palos Verdes is a pretty area to ride. Not very technical, but very scenic. It's one of the few areas in Socal where you can ride along the coast.

Go to this link below.

The South Bay Mountain Biking Club has alot of info and organized rides:
    http://sbmbc.com/

A scenic flash panaroma of the Portuguese Bend area of Palos Verdes:
    http://www.jamesreilly.com/flashvr/

A set of photos of what the area looks like in the dry season:
    http://www.singletrackmind.com/Trail...d/PV_Index.htm
    Last edited by partially hydrogenated; 10-26-2004 at 07:39 PM.
    Give me a big scoop of Manteca!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fueler909
    The family and I are moving from Colo Springs to Rancho Palos Verdes just before Christmas. I'm looking for information on the local rides and local groups. Any thing you can provide would be very helpful.

Thanks
    This site will provide a bunch of info:
    http://mtbpv.org/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fueler909

Thanks
    Fueler you lucky dog, I grew up in RPV and it is a great place not just to ride but to raise a family. A really, really beautiful town, a bit on the quiet side but still great. As for mountain biking in PV, you're pretty much limited to Del Cerro which is at the very southern end of Crenshaw Blvd. It's not the "expansive, epic" rides you may be accustomed to in Colorado, but it's still good for an hour or two hour excursion. The only really flaw with Del Cerro is you have to ride in "circles" cause it really isn't that large. There is some great single track scattered about though that can be found if you explore the region fully. Del Cerro also has a lot of horseback riders to look out for. The wildlife is also pretty extensive, especially rattlesnakes in the summer that constantly sprawl out in the middle of the single track to sunbathe. They're really quite beautiful though and should be respected. They move out of the way quick once they realize you're there. Rabbits are also everywhere in Del Cerro but not much of trail hazard since they move fast.
    If you're looking for an "epic ride" (i.e. can ride in one direction for at least twenty miles and still have trails ahead of you) your best bet is to drive north out to the Santa Monica Mountains (about a hour to hour and a half drive depending on the traffic from PV). There's also the San Gabriel Mountains which is about two hours from PV which I hear is even better for an epic ride.
    So in a nutshell, you're lucking out and should be more than happy when you arrive to Palos Verdes, California. Good luck and welcome to So. Cal.

mtbr member
    Like the previous poster mention, check out the Santa Monica Mountains. Lot's of riding up there. Not as pretty as CO, it's mostly brown around here except for the short period of green growth after rainfall. The trails around Palisades and Malibu are pretty rides.

Back RPV, there is wildlife down there. Mostly wild rabbits and rattlesnakes. There are no mountain lions there to be worried about.

There are some politics going on at the Del Cerro/Portuguese Bend area against mtn bikers. There is a group of concerned trail users and residents who don't want mtn bikers there. I am encouraging everyone I know down there to use bells to signal their presence when approaching hikers and dog walkers.
    Give me a big scoop of Manteca!

Whig party member

cool

That is great!!!
    I wan't to live there, and the riding is cool. I heard they are trying to make something over on the trail kind of side. It is a fun place.

Fraser