mnm
    mtbr member
    May 2007

Moving to Orange County

I will be moving to orange county on and around mid to end of this December, i have lived in Los Angeles / La Crescenta for a couple years and would ride the Verdugo mountain trails a lot. I am no were near familiar with any trails in orange county. Anyone here live there or ride there and have any suggestions on some good trails?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Orange County rides

Go to http://www.geoladders.com/overview.php Check out the Orange County list.

DanH

mnm
    mtbr member
    May 2007
    thanks for the link, great resource..

mtbr member

What kind of trails

we have tons of trails in OC, if you give us an idea what you like to ride we may be able to point you in the right direction.

partsman
    Dec 2007
    look at socaltrailriders.org. i rode with this group fo a couple of years when i lived in the OC. there are ride every weekend and also night rides midweek. say hi to dino for me if you sign on.

mtbr member
    We have a ton of riding down here. Its all good if you ask me.

PM me and we can figure a few things out for you.
    Always preach the Gospel; even if you need to use words.

mnm
    mtbr member
    May 2007
    Well I am not into any specific type of riding or trails, would like to try them all, as far as what I have been riding, well some single track and fire roads mostly. I haven't been on a bike for almost 3-4 years so anything that requires riding uphill for more than an hour or 2500-3000ft I'll have difficulty with but can manage with a lot more pit stops than usual. My favorite part of a ride is always riding down the mountain.

I have a specialized enduro.
    Last edited by mnm; 11-30-2009 at 06:18 PM.

mtbr member
    What part of O.C?You must go ride the Fullerton Loop.Print out a map and bring it.Trails end at surface streets and you must know where to get back on,my personal favorite!Also not in O.C.but close is Turnbull canyon in Whittier off the 605.A 2 mile climb to the top on a fireroad and some great decends going down.All of these trails have reviews on this site.Also what I like to do is visit Youtube and type in these trails and see some good vids,gives an idea on what to expect!

mtbr member
    When you get to OC and are ready to ride, start a thread asking for a guide. I'm sure you'll have some choices to make.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Welcome to Orange County now go home

Just kidding. You're going to like it here. It's a good place to be stuck.

Good riding is easy to find. Here are a several to look for

Whiting Ranch
    The Luge
    San Juan Trail
    Holy Jim
    Trabuco Creek
    Woods Canyon
    Moro Canyon
    Limestone Canyon

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by socalMX
    What part of O.C?You must go ride the Fullerton Loop.
    I'm not sure the fully loop is something I would recommend for a newcomer to the OC. Its basically urban riding and you have to worry about traffic at each intersection (many intersections are not marked for pedestrian traffic), or you're riding on sidewalk, etc. I've done it and couldn't figure out why everyone rides it so much. Not dissing the trail, after all people in Fullerton don't have anywhere to ride since its a giant flat city, but I think you'd have more fun doing something else first. Telling people they have to ride the Fully loop when they first get to OC is like saying you have to check out the McDonalds in Tuscany.

For the real OC trail experience, I second Dwad. Whiting Ranch and The Luge are great, plus Aliso and El Moro for starters. At all of these places its impossible to get lost, and you can ride at your level. All three parks have fire roads, but Aliso's fire roads are a bit more challenging than the rest. El Moro has the most fire road (the park managers basically are turning it into a fire-road-only park by closing down most of the good track) and the fire roads are simple to follow. Plus there are signs all over the place telling you where you are.

Also, another park that comes to mind is Caspers, located exactly 6 miles on your left hand side off Ortega exit. It is very flat, offers only fire road, and also is easy to follow.

Then, once you get into better shape and want to tackle more difficult terrain, you can go deep into the Santa Anas and revel in all the magnificent trails it offers. Single track is everywhere, and its tough, rocky, steep, and fun as hell!
    "The most persistent principles of the universe are accident and error." -Frank Herbert

mnm
    mtbr member
    May 2007
    tribune thanks for explaining what the fully loop is, after hearing about so many people riding it i thought it would be an awesome trail, but when you say ill be biking through traffic? i guess that's something i am not looking for (urban riding). i am actually looking for a good climb with a good decent on a mountain. i will sure try the fully loop and check it out. also thanks for point out other trail, will defiantly check them out.

Angry White Male
    You'll need a few more things in order to fit in to The OC:

A BMW, convertable preferred.
    Some of that bright orange self-tanning lotion.
    An overpriced condo.
    Talk on your cell phone all the time, especially in traffic or in line at the store.

All in good fun of course. Thank God for Camp Pendleton, keeps OC out of SD.

WOOT! - Let the flaming begin.

PS: Check out sharemtb.com - good folks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mnm
    tribune thanks for explaining what the fully loop is, after hearing about so many people riding it i thought it would be an awesome trail, but when you say ill be biking through traffic? i guess that's something i am not looking for (urban riding). i am actually looking for a good climb with a good decent on a mountain. i will sure try the fully loop and check it out. also thanks for point out other trail, will defiantly check them out.
    Im not from O.C. and dont know the other trails but do know the Loop in Fullerton is not "urban riding".It is a trail system that does cross a few intersections that may be on a sidewalk for a few SECONDS the rest is all dirt with some decent climbing and intermediate decends,its that popular for a reason.I guess I need to try the others on the list as well! The loop is just another option,and yes a must try if you are in the area!!!!

on the path most traveled
    Here's a collection of pics for some trails found in socal including the OC.

mtbr member
    Mnm,
    A couple of the best resources I used when learning the trails in OC were http://www.singletrackmind.com/ and http://www.mountainbikebill.com/. Between these sites you should have a good idea of just about every trail in the area.
    "The most persistent principles of the universe are accident and error." -Frank Herbert

dft
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by socalMX
    Im not from O.C. and dont know the other trails but do know the Loop in Fullerton is not "urban riding".It is a trail system that does cross a few intersections that may be on a sidewalk for a few SECONDS the rest is all dirt with some decent climbing and intermediate decends,its that popular for a reason.I guess I need to try the others on the list as well! The loop is just another option,and yes a must try if you are in the area!!!!
    dude, the loop is the most borring trail in the world, you would have to pay me to ride it. there are a hundred trails in OC 500% times better than that.

The only part I like about Fullerton Loop is the part where you cross a railroad bridge. That part is pretty cool.

mnm
    mtbr member
    May 2007
    thank you all for your support and suggestions...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by sponger
    Here's a collection of pics for some trails found in socal including the OC.
    Thanks for posting that. There are a lot of really good photos on that site!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dft
    dude, the loop is the most borring trail in the world, you would have to pay me to ride it. there are a hundred trails in OC 500% times better than that.
    DUDE,settle down,its just another option for him.It is not booring,let him be the judge of that if he ever decides to go.FYI,there is no such thing as 500% times better,what are you,12?

I have to agree with a previous comment that trail riding is a subjective experience that is futile to describe in empirical terms. But, I thought I’d post this excerpt from a book with which most mtbr’s are probably already familiar. This is from page 46 of "Mountain Biking Orange County California" by Randy Vogel and Larry Keuchlin:

Yes, it’s true. The vague rumors of cool riding in the heart of metropolis are correct. You can stop laughing at all those full-suspension bikes riding into the hills in the heart of Fullerton. The Fullerton bike Loop has exciting singletracks, fast fireroads and great conditioning characteristics. All this and plenty of spoke-breaking, rim-twisting air. In fact, jumps are the dominant feature that really separate these trails from other more traditional riding areas.
    Of course, if it meant selling more books, I'd say the same thing about the dirt and gravel driveway at my grandparents' defunct horse ranch.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    The OP is not missing out on much. Verdugos vs OC trails. If he rode in the San Gabriels, then it's a different story.

mnm
    mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rallyraid
    The OP is not missing out on much. Verdugos vs OC trails. If he rode in the San Gabriels, then it's a different story.
    hey hey hey now! dont be dissing on ma riding stylez!!! lol

but seriously enough with the fully loop thing, no matter how it is i will defiantly give it a run, i am sure i will like it, any riding is better than no riding...