mtbr member

Moving to North LA county (South Ventura?)

I'm considering a job in Agoura Hills - I'm looking for insight on places to live, places to ride and what not.

Vitals:
    My wife and I are looking for a small house (not a condo)
    I ride XC (and road)
    A small commute is expected but I would obviously like to minimize time stuck in my car
    Tips on surf spots is a bonus
    I'm coming from the Bay Area where I already deal with insane prices, traffic, etc.

Any insights, tips and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    heh. Agoura Hills.. very pricey real estate and i NEVER figured out why!

vta cty....
    prices in Camarillo i hear got pretty decent. that'd be a short commute, but you'd have to drive up the Conejo Grade (gas guzzler) every day. of course, you get to coast coming back!

above the Conejo Grade:
    Moorpark is another close-ish spot.
    Thousand Oaks is less close.

surf spots.. lols, too many to count. how 'bout places i hate / places to avoid? it'd be easier.
    It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own.

- Cicero

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    IMO my opinion, it's a great spot. Agoura Hills and the surrounding communities of Calabasas, Westlake Village, Oak Park, Thousand Oaks, and Newbury Park are great places to live. Most people have to commute into LA or the Valley, but if you work there too, you don't even have to deal with traffic. Plus, it has good air (relative to LA or points east) good schools and low crime. As for the mountian biking (and road biking) check out the links below: And malibu and other surf spots north are as little as 20 minutes away. On the housing side, Countrywide and Amgen are HQ'd there so it's a buyers market fore sure....
    Check out the SoCal Trailhead map (in this forum) and
    Venturacountytrails.org

Cheers!

That's gonna leave a mark
    Residence: Calabasas (east of Agoura off 101) and Westlake Village (west of Agoura off 101) are expensive but both have some really nice homes. I live in a quiet neighborhood in Thousand Oaks off of Westlake Blvd north of 101 Fwy. Just across the street is a trailhead leading into Cheseboro Park- tons of riding. You can find a nice home in Newbury Park or Thousand Oaks for a little less. All of these areas will require minimal commuting to Agoura (less than 10-15 min). You could even ride the bike to work.

XC & road biking: The general area is full of XC and road biking opportunities. One of the reasons I live here.

Surf spots: You'd be about 30 minutes from prime Ventura County surfing.
    Fat fanatic.

"Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

Quote Originally Posted by mild beast
    heh. Agoura Hills.. very pricey real estate and i NEVER figured out why!

vta cty....
    prices in Camarillo i hear got pretty decent. that'd be a short commute, but you'd have to drive up the Conejo Grade (gas guzzler) every day. of course, you get to coast coming back!

above the Conejo Grade:

surf spots.. lols, too many to count. how 'bout places i hate / places to avoid? it'd be easier.
    I believe he meant South Ventura County, not Ventura city.
    Fat fanatic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    aaah... Westlake was the one i was forgetting. PRICEY.

ftr, thousand oaks and moorpark are south vta cty. camarillo is the middle.

but it's all east-west, really on that part of the coast. some of the 101 FWY entrance signs even said "East" or "West'.. the 101 is a north / south freeway. heh.

i just hope you don't have AGOURAPHOBIA!

surf? heh. well, hmmm... ventura proper has
    - surfers point (aka, the point), which has at least 5 distinct breaks on it depending on swell direction and size. it's the most kooked out spot. right off the 101 / California street (also known as "C-street").
    - Rivermouth (mouth of the santa clara river).. and all along there. best on a south. it's a beach break, so it turns to hell on anything but offshore days.

jeez... i am not even gonna try. there's gazzillions of spots. get off the 101N just outta ventura on old HWY 1 and you got one of the dankest stretches of cobble stone reef breaks in SoCal. MILE after MILE. 'camping' all along that stretch. that's all winter swell spots (so N and W and all variations thereof.. and so of those spots will hold 'any' size).

after that you get "little rincon" or muscle shoals. then there's Rincon proper.
    Last edited by mild beast; 06-18-2008 at 12:52 PM.
    It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own.

- Cicero

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    There are about a dozen plus good rides in the Thousand Oaks, Agoura, Simi Valley area.

Simi Valley is more afordable but a bit hotter. Agoura and TO are more Expensive. Moorpark is closer to beach than Simi and somewhat affordable.

All of the above have Fairly good beach access 30 minute drive + or -, Malibu and Ventura have some nices breaks but can be crowded on weekends.

Ventura and Oxnard are close to surf but farther from MTB trails.

Camirillo is nice and cool closer to surf and Point Magu Trails but like Mild beast said not much work there. In fact work oppotunities my be limited in all of the above depending on your occupation.

Camirillo and Moorpark would be a nice comprimise between drive to beach and drive to MTB trails. Anything more westernly of these areas heats up in the summer.

Good luck!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Lots of riding around here - both mtn and road.

My office is in Agoura Hills (Kanan and 101) and we live out in Newbury Park. I really like the neighborhood where we live (Dos Vientos) because it gets a lot of costal fog and wind and stays cool - and we can ride out the garage and be in Sycamore Canyon within 2 miles. Unfortunately it is now pretty expensive, but if you are coming from the Bay Area it is not bad.

You can not really go wring with any place in the entire Conejo Valley really.

Hit me up when you get to town and I would be happy to show you all of the different mtb rides around the area.

Kirk

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
    Quote Originally Posted by mild beast

above the Conejo Grade:
    TO is less close than what? In order of closeness with Camarillo being farthest from Agoura Hills, you have Camarillo, TO (Including Newbury Park), Westlake Village (which is really part of TO anyway) and Agoura Hills. Moorpark is north of TO so by definition it is farther away from TO.

YR

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Agoura is fantastic for mountain biking (and road riding). I've got 40+ miles of riding that's a 5 minute ride from my door, which is especially convenient if you are trying to squeeze a ride in. So many options, lots of singletrack, including some fairly technical riding. There are a bunch of places a short drive away, too. I can't imagine anywhere better for biking. The beach is 10-15 miles away, very simple to get to.

Also, my favorite road riding area is the western part of the Santa Monica mountains, again easily reached riding from my house. Lots of good climbing, spectacular scenery, with relatively few cars.

We chose Agoura because it was such a great place to raise kids (as already mentioned, good schools, good air, low crime). The main downside is my 30 mile commute to UCLA. Working here would be ideal, you could easily bike to work!

mtbr member

Nice!

Wow, thanks for all the insight! I'm even more excited about this gig after hearing all these good reports. So if I'm reading this right, miles and miles of dirt, lots of waves close by, nice neighborhoods, a little spendy (what else is new) and commuting to LA is pretty much hateful. The good news is I would be working in Agoura, the bad news is I would be traveling quite a bit - hello LAX. Keep the info flowing, thanks again for all the insight.

Equal opportunity meanie
    Agoura has a nice little shortcut down Kanan to PCH to Hwy 10/405 into LAX to avoid the 101/405 interchange that is a nightmare, along with the grade going over into Santa Monica.

Agoura/TO/Westlake is spendy and yuppie. Avoid Camarillo, absolutely NOTHING going on. Simi is a bit more affordable, biking nearby, but hot as crap (I work there and I am likely moving there soon). Calabasas is closeby to Agoura too, but it's also closer to LA (not good). Newbury Park is nestled into all that mess too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Definitely check out Newbury Park. It is the western most part of Thousand Oaks It has some of the more affordable areas in the Conejo Valley. Plus Sycamore Canyon is right there, great road rides through Hidden Valley and PCH, and the beach is close (down Potrero Rd). For the combo of mtn/road/surf, I can't think of a better location than the Conejo Valley.

Also, you might consider renting for the first year or two since you are moving to a whole new area. Then you can be sure which town and neighborhood you really want to live in. And, you can take your time and try and find a distressed or bank owned sale.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    +1 if your used to Bay Area prices- Los Angeles is relatively cheap in comparison. in that area you could just ride to Cheesboro and that opens up a bunch of possiblities. A short 25 minute drive and you could do the Santa Monica mtns network, or one of the myriad of trails in the Malibu area and Sycamore Cyn as has already been mentioned. If you want to get even more adventurous the San Bernadino mtns are probably like 45min away and offer a whole different experience with more trees and bigger more technical descents (mt wilson) . I transplanted from the Bay Area/Santa cruz and although it's not quite the same, there are many many rides here and the surf isn't too shabby either. Just try to minimize your time on the 405 to the westside and you'll be alright : )

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Boon Fly
    The good news is I would be working in Agoura, the bad news is I would be traveling quite a bit - hello LAX. Keep the info flowing, thanks again for all the insight.
    Getting to the airport isn't so bad. If I can, I prefer to fly out of Burbank; it's 30 minutes away and a much smaller airport than LAX. Prices used to be comparable to LAX (although lately some flights have become much more expensive), but sometimes I fly out of LAX because of flight schedules (it usually has more frequent flights) or location (more direct flights). But even then, there's a quick way along the coast that avoids the 405/101 interchange, so it's maybe 40 minutes. (All travel times in LA depend on the time of day, of course! These are times for early morning.) It's actually pretty convenient.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Good job! welcome to the valley of the rabitts, the "conejo Valley"

U are going to be stoked when u move down here.

Cheaper living in the San fernando Valley but mass humans. Good riding in the Conejo Valley, the heat may drive you mad in summer but the ocean breeze hits like clock work at around 3 oclock or so in the afternoon. the conejo valley is the only place in so cal where the freeways mostly work.

A surfer in san fran, I would say if you are an ocean beach regular just paddle right out at silver strand this winter and pull in. That wave is a lot like moss landing in montery, a sea canyon comes in right to the harbor and the waves are hollow enough to break bones.
    In summertime there is the 'bu but f that, to many frat boy ***** with becker logs and just enough experience to be dangerous. That's why i ride more in summer, i don't have to worry about a pack of idiots cutting me off on my mtnbike.

I have found the surfers in Ventura to be better at surfing and rotating through a line up. North La County is full of clones and clowns.

if you are into gravity riding

BIG Bear and the chair lift at snow summit are approximately 2.5 hours away depending on how fast you drive. Big bear will blow any trail the conejo valley has out of the water.

anyways, welcome, have a good day and see you on the trails.

Quote Originally Posted by ibmilo
    BIG Bear and the chair lift at snow summit are approximately 2.5 hours away depending on how fast you drive. Big bear will blow any trail the conejo valley has out of the water.
    Maybe you're riding the wrong trails out here.
    "G", Sui, Cow, 'Pipe, Widow...BB doesn't offer as much as you'd think after considering the 5 hour round trip drive.
    Fat fanatic.

mtbr member

Oh well...

It turns out that I turned down the job so no move to the area. I was looking forward to it actually. I even thought about taking a less than ideal job in order to move to the area but in the end decided better.

Anyway, thanks for all the local knowledge.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Boon Fly
    It turns out that I turned down the job so no move to the area. I was looking forward to it actually. I even thought about taking a less than ideal job in order to move to the area but in the end decided better.
    Well, maybe something better will come up later and you can still make the move!