Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

moving to long beach?? whats it like

I'm looking at getting a job in long beach this summer. I graduate at the end of june, and i plan to send my resume down there(among other places) early next week. I've done some google searching to try and get a feel for the area and cost of living, but its never the same as seeing it for my self or hearing some actual thoughts. I have a friend down there, but he hasnt been there long and doesn't ride at all so he doesn't count.

-what can i expect for the cost of living? rent, bills (garbage, water electricity cable) obvioulsy some of these vary by usage, but comparative to grand forks, ND. not the most interesting place in the world.
    -currently pay 260 rent (hole in the wall studio apt.) 80 cable/internet, no garbage at this building, water is paid by the building, gas/electricity 30ish

community? safe?
    social life?
    camping/hiking
    forgive my lack of geography background-- mountains anywhere near?
    areas that i should stay away from?
    suburbs that are worth the commute for lower rent?

trails? I lived in the great plains of the red river valley for the last 5 years... it can only get better once i leave.

anything else you can think of is appreciated. I'll add later if i think of anything else.

thanks in advance,
    ben
    1 hockey puck-$2
    1 mouthguard-$9
    8 missing teeth-$23K IOU from tooth fairy
    rattled brain forgetting impact-PRICELESS

R.I.P. DogFriend
    double post
    Last edited by jeffj; 03-28-2007 at 05:20 PM.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    community? safe?
    social life?
    camping/hiking
    forgive my lack of geography background-- mountains anywhere near?
    areas that i should stay away from?
    suburbs that are worth the commute for lower rent?

$260/mo rent? Forget that or anything near it, but that's why they'll be paying you the big bucks........ especially if you want to live in 'the good part of Long Beach'.

Areas to stay away from? Plenty of 'em, starting with a select few 'establishments' in Belmont shores (not that there's anything wrong with that, but you gotta be careful out there....), but we don't have all day. The closer to the water, generally the safer you'll be and the more you'll pay in rent.

You can see the mountains from Long Beach, but it's a heck of a drive during weekday traffic.

You might find a part of LA that is further from most good mtb trails, but I can't think of it right now. You could always buy a ..... gasp..... road bike. Seriously.

Social life? There is a lot going on, in and around Long Beach. It's not as devoid of culture as most of the suburbs, so that is a plus for most people.

I strongly suggest a visit before you sign anything. You may really like it, but MTB friendly it's not (compared to most other areas). Good luck.
    Last edited by jeffj; 03-28-2007 at 05:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj
    [B]
    You can see the mountains from Long Beach, but it's a heck of a drive during weekday traffic.

You might find a part of LA that is further from most good mtb trails, but I can't think of it right now. You could always buy a ..... gasp..... road bike. Seriously.

I strongly suggest a visit before you sign anything. You may really like it, but MTB friendly it's not (compared to most other areas). Good luck.

This would be my first experience of "city life." my girlfriend (soon to be fiance.. shhh doesnt know yet ) never had the "privilage" of living anywhere w/ more than 100,000. It will likely be an eye opening experience for the both of us. Also likely to be a temporary job~ 1 year. I'm a flight instructor working on building hours to move on to regionals and up from there as the shaky industry permits. It would be nice to move somewhere alot different from the -40 degree winters associated with this near worthless state.

about how long is a heck of a drive? unfortunately I got only 1 good ride in a month when im in school. minimum of a 2.5 hour drive to get to any trail that takes longer than 30 minutes to get back to the beginning. I like to think that anywhere is an improvement from here.

Would it be a safe to expect to pay 1,000-1500 for an apartment in a safe neighborhood? I'm not too concerned with having a nice place as a safe place.

as for the trail situation, is there anything close enough for a week day ride, or more than likely a weekend road trip. I'm used to that already, but if its over 2 hours, thats definetly a downer.

safety, i guess i'll have to get more specifics later when i start looking for an apt.

Thanks for the 2c. I'll probably look into plane tickets and hand my resume over in person to check things out a little more first.
    1 hockey puck-$2
    1 mouthguard-$9

Dented n' Spent
    Quote Originally Posted by laackund

anything else you can think of is appreciated.
    This might seem like a goofy suggestion, but you might consider moving someplace temporary or short term if you're in the spot of showing up to town and having to find a place to live right away. Just till you get your bearings and the feel of the place and area in general. You're not just moving to Long Beach, you're moving to LA/OC. There is a LOT of variety depending on the definition of "commute" to a person from North Dakota?

Rent - sit down first.... I'm sure others will follow with specific areas to look at first.
    What kind of bike?​ I don'​t know,​ I'm not a bike scien​tist.

mtbr member
    how far out of the city would be reasonable drive time for commuting. I've had it fairly easy up till now. for me living 30 miles out of town means a 25 minute drive on the highway (only traffic is the cow in the right lane and keeping my eyes long enough to dodge the drunk strips at 5am) I'm guessing city is going to at least double cummute time. any suburb/ towns worth any reccomendations to look into as a starting point?
    1 hockey puck-$2
    1 mouthguard-$9

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I work in Torrance. Not to far from Long Beach. I go riding in Palos Verdes about twice a week after work. I can get about a 2.5 hour ride in without repeating many trails. Check this out http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...9_4520crx.aspx for a trail description.

For weekend rides Long Beach is about an hour away from the San Gabriels, Orange County and the Santa Monicas. Check out the trail descriptions or geoladders for more riding info.

Mexican Food Enthusiast
    I live in the middle of Long Beach right now. I get to ride 3 days a week on dirt. The closest trails are in Whitter or Palos Verdes which are about 20 to 30 min with no traffic. I often go north or south on the weekends and you can get to some great places within 40 min. I ride a cross bike all over the city which is sometimes much more exciting then riding on dirt with all of the SUV's and cell phones. You can get anywhere by bike if you live in the right area, which if you are renting should be Belmont Shore. You can get a 1 bedroom a few blocks from the water for about 1000$ a month and also be in walking distance to bars/resturants. Long Beach is a cool city, the people are much more laid back here then in LA. Most of it is safe, but the parts that are not rival the worst parts of any city. If you have other questions post here or PM me. Once you move here ill give you the lowdown on the best Mexican restaurant I have ever eaten at, including ones all over Mexico.

T I'm a flight instructor working on building hours to move on to regionals and up from there as the shaky industry permits.
    Long Beach has a pretty large airport. My brother is moving out here soon to do his jet simulator training for Sky West. Its also one of the homes of Boeing.

My advice is that if you are going to work here, make sure you live here. I was making a 50 mile each way commute to Foothill Ranch to work at a large sunglass company but even though I liked the job the commute almost killed me

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    how far out of the city would be reasonable drive time for commuting. I've had it fairly easy up till now. for me living 30 miles out of town means a 25 minute drive on the highway (only traffic is the cow in the right lane and keeping my eyes long enough to dodge the drunk strips at 5am) I'm guessing city is going to at least double cummute time. any suburb/ towns worth any reccomendations to look into as a starting point?
    See, this is the thing I think will be a shocker to you and your girlfriend. Long Beach is in Los Angeles County, and the cities of LA and Orange County pretty much flow seamlessly one into another. It is one vast metropolitan area. Out of the city? How far are you willing to drive? How long do you want your days to be?

You are on the right track in thinking safe over nice. You should also think about proximity to work. If you are serious about this and get an offer, you should talk with your prospective employer about what relocation services they might offer.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the suggestions so far!! It’s helping to calm the nerves about getting into the "real world"
    -burrito - Glad to hear there are trails in the area and close proximity to the beach! I appreciate the offer. I'll be in touch as progress is made. if the food is as good as you claim I’m going to be posting in the Clydesdale thread 3 weeks after i get there ~ best of luck to your bro!

harry-I guess I’m not sure how far I'm willing to drive yet. Unfortunately flight instructors, from my experience thus far, spend long hours at the airport and get paid for only half of them. Gas, late night/early morning driving might not be on my side. If that is the case down there i would like to live somewhat closer to the airport (if I can afford it).. new to the area, not used to that much traffic on a daily basis.
    1 hockey puck-$2
    1 mouthguard-$9

_
    Mar 2004
    i have lived in long beach all my life. it is a very diverse city and i love it. check out www.gazettes.com for apartments. click on "classifieds" then "rentals" and start exploring. i live in a studio in belmont shore and pay $850 (includes a garage). the neighborhood is pretty mellow. 2nd street can be fun, but im over all the college frat kooks that occupy quite a few of the bars down there. i usually hit some other bars in the general vicinity away from 2nd street. like someone else said, PV and Turnbull (whittier) are about the closest dirt to ride from here. in the mornings on the weekend it takes me about 30-40 minutes to reach whiting ranch/cooks corner/aliso/el moro etc... since daylight savings has come, i will be hitting up PV after work for some midweek rides. i work in downtown long beach, so it takes me about 20-25 minutes to get to PV (del cerro) after work depending on how busy it is getting through the port.

the long beach airport is pretty central, and wouldnt really take you more than 10-15 minutes to get to no matter where you live in long beach. downtown long beach has really changed over the last 10 years and i cant step outside my office without seeing a new condo/loft building going up. the city is certainly gaining popularity. long beach is also central to quite a few freeways, the 405, 605, 710, 22, the 91 and the 110 are just outside the long beach confines.

let me know if u have anymore questions, i'll can help ya find a good area to live in.

stay thirsty, my friends
    Like Burrito Guy was saying, whittier and palos verdes are the closest we have in terms of actual trails. El Moro is actually a quick drive if the freeway is clear and you come in through the Ridge Park entrance. Most of the more popular stuff in the OC is about 40-45 mins away. The cool thing is that the drive to the Santa Monicas is better for us then it is for the ppl in the OC. So that gives you more options for the weekend rides.

Is there any particular place in Long Beach you're thinking about living in? 1000-1500 seems like a decent amount. I know that around my school (CSULB), a lot of stuff goes for around that much.

Fun bars close by in Seal Beach and in Belmont Shore, btw .
    "With that said, until you have done a STR group ride- YOU HAVE NOT LIVED!"
    - dino brown

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=

Is there any particular place in Long Beach you're thinking about living in? 1000-1500 seems like a decent amount. I know that around my school (CSULB), a lot of stuff goes for around that much.

Fun bars close by in Seal Beach and in Belmont Shore, btw .[/QUOTE]

I dont have anything specific in mind yet. up until now, i had been looking at rent.com but i have no idea what neighborhoods i shoud try to stay out of, even though they maybe lower rent. I'm still making a few updates to my resume so i plan to send it in early next week. Hopefully they will be looking for instructors like a friend said they would be, but you just never know. I gotta say im getting pretty jacked up about this! w/in the last 24 hours ive gone from nervous and doubtful about going down there to ready to pack up tomorrow!

thanks again for all the input.
    1 hockey puck-$2
    1 mouthguard-$9

mtbr member

Lbc

The LBC is fun, although you must be careful! My lady used to own a house their and in her neighborhood its like old school 1950's homes and the people that live their are family beaver cleavers. Its funny because I think in the LBC it can be so nice and then you walk two blocks and your in the crip gang hood. Stay away from anything off of Anaheim street. Stay away from anything close to the 710 freeway. I would not ride my bike in the LBC, not many bike lanes and most of the roads their are old so during 4 - 6 PM its crazy. I would rather ride DH on the trail with no helmet than ride on the streets of LBC. Belmont shore, naples, shoreline village will all be fun for you. Heck after living out here for year you may not want to get married yet, your too young, have some fun in so cal.

Mexican Food Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fired Yo Momma
    T Its funny because I think in the LBC it can be so nice and then you walk two blocks and your in the crip gang hood. Stay away from anything off of Anaheim street. Stay away from anything close to the 710 freeway. I would not ride my bike in the LBC, not many bike lanes and most of the roads their are old so during 4 - 6 PM its crazy..
    This is true. I live one block up from PCH on Temple and across PCH is a lower income area , but behind me going up Signal Hill there are multi-million dollar homes. Signal Hill is about 2 min away from the airport btw when you are looking, and more suburban feeling even though it is in the middle of LB. Lakewood is also right next to the airport, not diverse, and very suburban if you are into that. I have been riding everywhere in Long Beach for awhile and its really not that bad. Its all about being aggressive and defensive at the same time, like riding in any big city. I haven't had any problems yet (knock on wood).

black & blue
    I lived in Long Beach about 8 years ago. When I first was looking for places to live, a local gave me good advice on where to concentrate your efforts looking for a place:

No further north than 7th Street
    No further west than Cherry Ave

I've lived a bit further west of Cherry and it's OK, but parking SUCKS. Belmont Shore is a really nice area, but again parking is difficult. As mentioned previously, you can be in a really nice area, go two blocks up and be in a crappy area.

You'd only be about 20-30 miles away from LOTS of great trails!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Like others have said, you just have to get out here to see what it is like.

If I were you, I'd get a Thomas Brothers map (it's a book type map with grids and index; you can find anything), plus a stack of maps from the auto Club. Talk with folks, drive around, and mark 'em up with a highlighter. Your a pilot; think of it as ground navigation.

My comment about how far are you willing to drive was rhetorical, and what you said about your likely working days confirms it. Just find a decent place to live that doesn't set you up with a hellish commute. That will maximize your free time to do what you want.

Sorta OT: Long Beach State University is very highly regarded. It takes a year to establish residency so you don't get socked with out of state tuition.

The beaches in Socal are very nice, and summer is coming.

_
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Burrito Eater
    Lakewood is also right next to the airport, not diverse, and very suburban if you are into that.
    when was the last time you were in lakewood? when you say its not diverse, are you referring to it not being very ethnically diverse? my grandparents have been there since the 50's (my mom grew up there) and it certainly has evolved (like any city) in quite a few ways...its not as diverse as far as the infrastructure of the city goes compared to long beach, but it certainly is diverse ethnically.

banned
    Mar 2007
    grew up in Lakewood (next to Long Beach). Orange County is nicer and a lot closer to riding. I'd look at coastal areas of OC

Mexican Food Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by bdee
    when was the last time you were in lakewood? when you say its not diverse, are you referring to it not being very ethnically diverse? my grandparents have been there since the 50's (my mom grew up there) and it certainly has evolved (like any city) in quite a few ways...its not as diverse as far as the infrastructure of the city goes compared to long beach, but it certainly is diverse ethnically.
    So they were there when they had laws about blacks not being allowed to own property in the city? Lakewood is an interesting place as it is America's first master planned community. In comparison to Long Beach though I would still say its not very diverse ethnically or economically. Its a bunch of similar tract homes laid out in a grid.

From Wikipedia ". Today, while more ethnically diverse, Lakewood still has a considerable Caucasian population compared to nearby cities such as Long Beach, Bellflower, Carson, and Cerritos"

Lakewood: "The racial makeup of the city was 62.67% White, 7.34% Black or African American, 0.60% Native American, 13.51% Asian, 0.62% Pacific Islander, 10.10% from other races, and 5.17% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 22.78% of the population.

Long Beach: "The racial makeup of the city was 45.16% White, 14.87% African American, but in reality, probably more. 0.84% Native American, 12.05% Asian, 1.21% Pacific Islander, 20.61% from other races, and 5.27% from two or more races. Latino of any race were 35.77% of the population. According to the 2000 US Census, Long Beach is the most ethnically diverse large city in the United States [46]. Among its Asian population, Long Beach is home to a large Cambodian community, the second-largest Cambodian community outside of Asia (after Paris). It also houses large Tongan-American and Samoan-American communities."

So Lakewood is diverse compared to say Salt Lake City, but to Long Beach not really. Its not bad- just different. And I was there last Saturday as I am a fan of the Soup Plantation.

Newsflash! I just was reading more about Long Beach and just found out I live on the Gangsta Eastside!
    The second Eastside is an area on the east side of the Los Angeles River (closer to the center of Long Beach) that is claimed by several different street gangs, such as the East Side Longo 13, and is associated with a number of Long Beach rap artists, such as Snoop Dogg's Eastsidaz. The boundaries for this second Eastside are (very roughly) Willow Ave. and then the Signal Hill city limits (N), Redondo Ave. (E), Seventh st. (S), and the Los Angeles River (W).

Whats up now?
    Last edited by Burrito Eater; 03-29-2007 at 12:16 PM.

Death By Snoo Snoo
    I've lived in Long Beach for about 2/3rds of my life... i've lived in the bad parts and now in the good parts. If you are moving out this way I would look to areas near the coast but expect to pay alot. The areas east above CSULB are nice and should be some what affordable. Take a look at the areas near Silverado park, heartwell park and the surrounding areas of CSULB. The city has come along way especially downtown and the Pike, but it still has its ghetto areas. I think in the 20+ years my parents have owned their homes (1 in a good area, 1 in a bad) we have never had a break in or car theft.

Riding wise I ride mainly Aliso and PV both are within 40 minutes of my house. and there are plenty more within that 40 minute range but i just don't frequent those trails.

mtbr member

Lbc

Its funny, I live in Costa Mesa now and I love the city but I read on these boards most of the bike thefts are in CM or in south Orang County. My girlfriend now lives in Mission Viejo and it looks all nice and pretty their but the majority of south orange county people are rude and snobish, and I have to make this a big point I have seen more fights and stupid S%#t going on in the nice areas of orange county. Long beach is a city thats class and history, its not manufactured, the city has character. Its true that the city has some bad areas but I have been in these bad areas and its just a matter of giving respect. If you give respect to the gangmembers and don't give them any dirty looks you will be allright. This is just a thought but why don't you look for a room to rent, that might be a better option that why you won't get tied into a six or 12 month lease.

Glad to Be Alive
    This would be my first experience of "city life." my girlfriend (soon to be fiance.. shhh doesnt know yet ) never had the "privilage" of living anywhere w/ more than 100,000. It will likely be an eye opening experience for the both of us. Also likely to be a temporary job~ 1 year. I'm a flight instructor working on building hours to move on to regionals and up from there as the shaky industry permits. It would be nice to move somewhere alot different from the -40 degree winters associated with this near worthless state.

about how long is a heck of a drive? unfortunately I got only 1 good ride in a month when im in school. minimum of a 2.5 hour drive to get to any trail that takes longer than 30 minutes to get back to the beginning. I like to think that anywhere is an improvement from here.

Would it be a safe to expect to pay 1,000-1500 for an apartment in a safe neighborhood? I'm not too concerned with having a nice place as a safe place.

as for the trail situation, is there anything close enough for a week day ride, or more than likely a weekend road trip. I'm used to that already, but if its over 2 hours, thats definetly a downer.

safety, i guess i'll have to get more specifics later when i start looking for an apt.

Thanks for the 2c. I'll probably look into plane tickets and hand my resume over in person to check things out a little more first.
    you can see 100,000 people on the freeway in an hour

temps get below 50 about 10 times ayear.....basically it is between 70 and 80 all the time except summer and dec/jan/feb

1 hour will get you to many rideing spots.....you can ride along the sidewalk on the beach...lots of senery

expect 1400 to 2000 a month for a good, clean, safe place
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I live in long beach. I live in the ghetto on MLK street. I have a 1 bedroom apt I pay $650 a month rent and that is cheap! Theres nowhere that I know of to go riding in LB I have to head out to OC. The helicopters shine their lights in my yard like once a month. Someone was shot and killed on the corner of my block like 4 months ago. and if you are white in my area its not a good idea to walk around by yourself at night. I want to get out of here. I say stay where you are at and dont come here. Its not all that its cracked up to be. I think you would be better off staying where you are. Seems to me most ppl raised in cali try to get out when they can. Even just getting out to some of the more remote parts of cali would be better.

mtbr member
    I live in the Los Altos area of Long Beach near CSULB... I pay 900.00 a month for a 1 bed with a garage. Your not going to find anything in your price range. Not even with a roommate situation. Plan on spending 750.00 minimum (if you are lucky). Cool places to look are Belmont Heights (really college friendly), outer Belmont Shore, Apartments near Long Beach City College main campus (Liberal Arts Campus), Bixby knolls (some parts can be shady, but not that bad) and traffic circle area. Expect to pay about 900.00 average for a one bedroom (I got lucky with the garage).

I was born and raised in Long Beach and it has it screwed up areas, but what big city doesn't. Check these websites out for rentals...

www.pabstkinney.com or www.gazettes.com

gazettes has a lot of rentals in it...

Good luck and welcome to "The Beach."

Message me if you have anymore questions....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast