Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    84

    Moved to Scripps Ranch. Local Trails?

    I just moved from Penasquitos to Scripps Ranch and wondered about local rides.

    1. Best way to Sycamore Canyon from Scripps Poway Parkway. I'm located at Scripps Poway Pkwy and Cypress Canyon (about 2 miles east of I-15) and know that SPP passes over the access road I take from Poway to the upper parking. I know I could go all the way to 67, but wondered if there is a shorter way to gain access to Sycamore?

    2. Are there any trails that I could get a quick :30-:60 min workout and ride to without having to hit too much asphalt in local canyons around Cypress Canyon?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    10
    I'm not sure if this would help, but I live in the Ivy Crest condos above Scripps Poway Parkway at Spring Canyon. During the week I do 1 hour rides that start from my house, go down behind the Nokia building and hook up with the creek that runs along the canyon. I can make it down to Black Mountain road, do the North side of the canyon, and then ride back home up the hill. It's not super challenging, but you do get a good hill workout on the way back up.

    To avoid the asphalt, you can use the trail under the power lines that follows along Scripps Poway Parkway. This will take you to the beginning of the complex where I live, which you would just ride through, and then head down to get to the trail.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    98
    I have no idea about Cypress, but easier than a road or dirt ride to Sycamore is finding a way to get to the elementary school at Springhurst Dr and Poway Rd:

    1. The trans-country trail can be accessed under the bridge by the Elementary school. On that trail you can go all the way to PQ canyon on dirt and in some cases it is very fun trail.....primarily after passing the Sabre Spring ponds where the trail will decend to and go by the city plant between Mercy Rd and Poway Rd, then immediately goes under I-15 (this it where it gets very pleasant!!!). Where it comes out to an open intersection I go (right) north across the creek (deep but ridable) and then west on the north side of the creek to Black Mtn Rd.....much more technical and fun. Cross Black Mtn and pick up the north PQ canyon trails for miles of trail, especially the north rim.

    2. From the school go across Poway Rd and ride the Sabre Springs area (also know as Ted Williams/Meadowbrook by the downhillers) which has lots of fun trails but it is mainly an up or down affair only. There are several access points (up).....you can see one "the Poway Grade trail" from Scripps Pkwy looking north. My fav is the ridge trail that comes ddown everntually at the AM/PM in Sabre Springs.....or "AM/PM hill".

  4. #4
    Lord of the Chainrings
    Reputation: Mudd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    2,925
    Black Mountain Park.
    Iron Mountain.
    Hodges.
    Elfin Forest.
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

    ~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

  5. #5
    Mountain Bike Sensei
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by K2D2
    I just moved from Penasquitos to Scripps Ranch and wondered about local rides.

    1. Best way to Sycamore Canyon from Scripps Poway Parkway. I'm located at Scripps Poway Pkwy and Cypress Canyon (about 2 miles east of I-15) and know that SPP passes over the access road I take from Poway to the upper parking. I know I could go all the way to 67, but wondered if there is a shorter way to gain access to Sycamore?

    2. Are there any trails that I could get a quick :30-:60 min workout and ride to without having to hit too much asphalt in local canyons around Cypress Canyon?

    Thanks.
    I am guessing you mean by bike. Well I'm in Poway so I can tell you how to get there from as close as Pamorado Rd. You can take the South Poway Trail or the Beeler Creek Trail to the South Poway Trail which would be faster. Both are easy to moderate rides. They will get you to Sycamore Canyon.

    I am in Poway so I only know the stuff east of you but here is a map of trails in my area which might not be that far from where you are.
    Poway Trail Guide
    Poway Trail Legend

  6. #6
    Mountain Bike Sensei
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by rathbone
    I have no idea about Cypress, but easier than a road or dirt ride to Sycamore is finding a way to get to the elementary school at Springhurst Dr and Poway Rd:

    1. The trans-country trail can be accessed under the bridge by the Elementary school. On that trail you can go all the way to PQ canyon on dirt and in some cases it is very fun trail.....primarily after passing the Sabre Spring ponds where the trail will decend to and go by the city plant between Mercy Rd and Poway Rd, then immediately goes under I-15 (this it where it gets very pleasant!!!). Where it comes out to an open intersection I go (right) north across the creek (deep but ridable) and then west on the north side of the creek to Black Mtn Rd.....much more technical and fun. Cross Black Mtn and pick up the north PQ canyon trails for miles of trail, especially the north rim.

    2. From the school go across Poway Rd and ride the Sabre Springs area (also know as Ted Williams/Meadowbrook by the downhillers) which has lots of fun trails but it is mainly an up or down affair only. There are several access points (up).....you can see one "the Poway Grade trail" from Scripps Pkwy looking north. My fav is the ridge trail that comes ddown everntually at the AM/PM in Sabre Springs.....or "AM/PM hill".
    I rode with a guy last weekend that said you can ride from PQ to Sycamore on mostly dirt. Now I think I know how to do it.

    Thanks.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    122

    Penasquitos to Sycamore

    Any chance you could map out or describe the route to get from Penasquitos to Sycamore? I ride both, but it would be a kick to do a loop at each. Maybe get a few folks together over Christmas to make the trek.

    Regards,
    Dave

  8. #8
    Mountain Bike Sensei
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by djphaneuf
    Any chance you could map out or describe the route to get from Penasquitos to Sycamore? I ride both, but it would be a kick to do a loop at each. Maybe get a few folks together over Christmas to make the trek.

    Regards,
    Dave
    I don't know when I would actually have time to map it out with my GPS. Its one of those things on my to do list. Here is a line drawing of the route I would explore to see if I could make it. This route is based on a number of independant sources. So the map could be all wrong, some lines shown might be going through what is now homes or buildings. Some sections might even be private property. So don't take this as anything more than a wild ass guess.


  9. #9
    TCB
    TCB is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TCB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    462
    Here are some other maps showing slightly different variations of the rout, click on the links “Map” to download the maps.

    http://www.seatoseatrail.org/index.cfm/Directions
    "No matter where you go there you are" BUCKAROO BANZAI

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    84

    Thanks

    Thanks....exactly what I was looking for. I figured there must be a way to get there mostly on dirt.
    In addition, I did notice a little incomplete trail engineering near my place. If there are newly developed trails, I'd appreciate directions to any local canyons (off the public forum of course, in a private message). Ted Williams is over my head, but anything like Flightline or Tunnels would be great and it looks like some of the local canyons have that potential. Thanks again.

  11. #11
    Mountain Bike Sensei
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by TCB
    Here are some other maps showing slightly different variations of the rout, click on the links “Map” to download the maps.

    http://www.seatoseatrail.org/index.cfm/Directions
    This is awsome. I wasn't that far off. Sweet, thanks for sharing this website.

  12. #12
    MTP
    MTP is offline
    Nothing to see here
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    883
    Count me in for a ride, I'm in PQ and always have looked at those trails east of I-15/south of Poway Rd. and wondered how they were and where they start. I'd like to do the whole thing from Black Mtn. Rd heading east.
    If not biking, then what?

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    11
    Consider this...

    Start at the westend staging area of PQ and end up at Mission Trails...

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    122
    This is starting to sound like a good Christmas Ride. West End of PQ to Mission Trails:>

  15. #15
    Mountain Bike Sensei
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    144
    I already have a route that might go from black mountain to cowles mountain. with less than a few miles of road riding.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    11
    Sounds like we may be able to get a dirty century ride out of this...

  17. #17
    MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    Reputation: bankerboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    998

    The Grand Loop

    With a little milage on the roads between Mission Trails and San Clemente Canyon (Highway 52) you can make about a 60 mile loop.

    Start in Penasquitos Canyon heading east.
    Continue to the Poway Trails still heading east.
    Loop into Sycamore Canyon now heading South West
    Meet up with Mission Trails and follow the 52 (steep climbs) into Santee.
    Road ride Clairmont Mesa (life in your own hands) to Convoy.
    Take Convoy north across the 52 towards MIramar Landfill.
    Descend into upper San Clemente Canyon.
    Take either:
    A) Access road across the mesa paralleling the 805 through the nursury to Rose Canyon
    or
    B) Take San Clemente Canyon to the 5 and hook up with Rose Canyon (longer)

    Either way you need to follow the railroad tracks (service road) under Miramar Road
    Follow service roads along the tracks heading north to Sorrento Valley
    Take Sorrento Valley up to Penasquitos and you have returned to where you started. You will have lots of miles with a few good climbs. It is around 50-60 miles by the time you are done.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Devine Intervention's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    256

    You are on to Something Here!

    This thread is starting to look way too tempting to miss out on.

    All it needs is an ending at a brewery somewhere to replenish lost calories. Karl Strauss Gardens is just up the hill from the West end of PQ Canyon. That climb up from the PQ parking lot would be a great finish to this epic. They might even sponsor a ride!

    Keep me posted - this might be more interesting than a run to Noble Canyon or the San Juan Trail!

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    24

    Now were talkin'

    I am up for the 1st portion of the ride, maybe to Mission Trails where I might have to have a car waiting. I have never ridden Sycamore.

  20. #20
    MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    Reputation: bankerboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    998

    Sycamore is fun!

    You can make it what you want. If you are using it as part of the loop you can either go straight down the fire roads with little or no climbing, bomb Martha's Grove for a little thrill, and/or add the climb up the southern fire road to the upper horse staging area with a fun single track down hill. Just remember that this is all extra milage.

  21. #21
    CEB
    CEB is offline
    No horse'n round
    Reputation: CEB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,113
    O.K., I'm in! I totally love all day long distance XC rides. When are we doing it? I would "put in" at the south end of Sycamore.

    Anyone else want to ride from Santee to PQ? Start at the Medina@Mast parking area. Lets pick a mutually workable day and try this out! How about this Sunday, 12/2/07.

    Chip

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    84

    Spin Contol

    OK, this thing has spun out of control. I just wanted a nice little ride for during the week to break a sweat. And now the midpoint of the ride is atop Cowles Mt?!

    Just kidding. Actually it will be great to see how Los Pen, Sycamore and Mission Trails/Spring/Oak Canyons all link up on dirt....from google earth, that is, but actually riding that 60 miles....now that's another mother all-together. Maybe a shuttle to the turnaround for the light weights can be arranged.

    Has anyone spent much time riding the Poway section east of I-15 to Sycamore Canyon? What is the trail like? Single track? rolling hills? any technical?

  23. #23
    MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    Reputation: bankerboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    998

    Poway Trails (Bridal Path)

    The trails you are asking about are mostly 6 foot wide DG trails originally horse trails. Since they never/rarely use them, we do. I live off of Black Mountain Road and will regularly ride the Trans San Diego Trails to the east. A normal 16 mile loop will take me on those trails as far as Community Road in Poway. The trials continue east through a tunnel under Community Road. I am not too sure of the trails further east. It has been many years since I have been that far. According to Google Earth, there are trails available all the way out to Sycamore. I know where a few of them are but it does involve some potential nasty uphill pitches if you want to avoid the surface streets into Sycamore.

    I guess the answer you are looking for is the trails that way work but they are not the most fun. This would be great for low risk night riding and cardiovascular workouts but little or no technical side from what I have experienced.

    PS. If I have offended somebody because these are your trails, please pipe in. I am always looking for the hidden gem!

  24. #24
    MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    Reputation: bankerboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    998
    Quote Originally Posted by CEB
    O.K., I'm in! I totally love all day long distance XC rides. When are we doing it? I would "put in" at the south end of Sycamore.

    Anyone else want to ride from Santee to PQ? Start at the Medina@Mast parking area. Lets pick a mutually workable day and try this out! How about this Sunday, 12/2/07.

    Chip
    I am out of the running in the short term. My Fox Triad is in the ICU at Fox. Once I get it back I will be happy to put something together. I will post it here. Probably over the Xmas break. I will be taking time off for the kids but I think they can live without me for a day. I will work on a map for veiwing/downloading. We'll see how that works out.

  25. #25
    CEB
    CEB is offline
    No horse'n round
    Reputation: CEB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,113
    Quote Originally Posted by bankerboy
    I am out of the running in the short term. My Fox Triad is in the ICU at Fox. Once I get it back I will be happy to put something together. I will post it here. Probably over the Xmas break. I will be taking time off for the kids but I think they can live without me for a day. I will work on a map for veiwing/downloading. We'll see how that works out.
    Good plan........ things need to dry out anyway........ I posted the 12/2 suggestion B4 the rain started.

    Chip

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •