mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Mountain lions on San Diego trails?

Thinking of renting and riding on a buisness trip to SD next week. Are lions a prob? Don't laugh at me as I really don't know. We have bears around here (in snowy New Hampshire) but they usually know you are coming and keep their distance. Thanks.

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx

Yes they're here

Quote Originally Posted by Jaak
    Thinking of renting and riding on a buisness trip to SD next week. Are lions a prob? Don't laugh at me as I really don't know. We have bears around here (in snowy New Hampshire) but they usually know you are coming and keep their distance. Thanks.
    no, you'll never see them.

i've been riding in southern CA for 11 years and have yet to see one. I've seen tracks but that's it. you're far more likely to fall off your bike, scratch yourself, develop a horrible infection resulting in a slow painful death than getting attacked by a mountain lion!

just like you say about bears, a cat is far more likely to hear you coming and stay out of the way. Have they seen me before? Probably more times than I'd care to know but I've never seen one of them.

YR

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

I like the way you think

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti_Rider
    no, you'll never see them.

i've been riding in southern CA for 11 years and have yet to see one. I've seen tracks but that's it. you're far more likely to fall off your bike, scratch yourself, develop a horrible infection resulting in a slow painful death than getting attacked by a mountain lion!

just like you say about bears, a cat is far more likely to hear you coming and stay out of the way. Have they seen me before? Probably more times than I'd care to know but I've never seen one of them.

YR
    Normally I don't fall into this commonly seen, popular type panic eg. People who worry about flying should worry about the drive to the airport, not the flight. People who stay in their houses and walk up and down their stairs to get exercise instead of going outdoors for fear of West Nile virus from Mosquitos. Etc, Etc...but i was actually completely ignorant being so far removed from the "problem" so I thought I would ask first.

Thanks. Any recomended places to ride that are really close to the city? I wont have much time so I would prefer to spend most of it riding, not driving. Thanks again.

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx

where are you staying?

and when will you be here?

the fires have still kept most of the more epic stuff closed so we're sort of reduced to riding the local loops a lot. some of the stuff that's been closed since the fires is supposed to open up by Memorial Day but we're not sure what all will be open yet.

Penasquitos Canyon is near Del Mar and can be fun IF you know the right way to go. There's a ton of stuff on the north side of the park that isn't really marked on any maps. So, unfortuantely you sort of need local knowledge. I can give you directions nad landmarks to get you around though. all in all, it's about 18 miles and takes around 2 hours to do. not a lot of elevation but a lot of roller type stuff.

Daley Ranch in Escondido is fun but far if you're staying downtown or anywhere near the airport and such.

Further south is Sweetwater Reservoir in Bonita but I've never ridden there.

Lake Hodges in Ranch Bernardo is a nice little ride but not very hard by any stretch.

if you have the time (like 5 plus hours), I'd really recommend hitting the San Juan Trail in San Juan Capistrano. it's about an hour and a bit drive from San Diego but it's a must see if it'll fit in the schedule. you can't get lost but it's a great one.

let me know the details of your visit and if I can hook up with you for a ride or two I will. my only problem is that I'm a full time grad student and stay at home dad to an 8 month old so my time is a give short. but, if it works out I'll do what I can to play tour guide for a ride or two.

Michael - mfpaulATsanDOTrrDOTcom

Just passing through....

One more thing....

I read in a local newspaper that there have been only 13 mountain lion attacks on adults in California since 1900. This out of many millions of excursions into the wilds. I hope you enjoy your stay.

mtbr member
    I saw a big cat on a group ride on the Del Mar Mesa in '95 or so, and have seen bobcats and coyote in there, of course.

The thing with some of these areas that didn't burn is that there is a large population of regular prey for the cats. There is a certain population of San Diego riders with a pretty good idea of how many deer and bunnies live in certain areas...and it looks like my crew of "I get Cesar Chavez Day Off" gumbahs are riding at 5 tonight, so I'll walk this talk by riding solo in the dark, brushy cougar habitat with beef jerky in my back pocket.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

do many people ride at night here?

unless your hotel rents bikes, you will spend a lot of time driving. socal traffic is a whole new breed of traffic...

I live behind the orange curtain...heart of mountail lion attack country (two or three in the last 10 yrs i think). Is night riding a bad idea here? i would assume mountain lions are generally nocturnal? I'm assuming I'll still do it regardless, but i'm curious
    Patents, trademarks, copyrights -- all day, everyday.

mtbr member
    If you want to ride the San Juan Trail I live about 15-20 minutes from it and have a fair amount of days off. I usually ride solo so company would be nice. By the way I have only seen one big cat and one small cat in 13 years of riding in Southern California. One Mountain Lion (he was as scared as I was) and a Lynx. If given the chance they will run instead of attack. Fire Medic's stats were about right. An attack almost never hapens, we just had one public so it has been news.

Just passing through....

Not a bad idea...

Quote Originally Posted by iamnate
    unless your hotel rents bikes, you will spend a lot of time driving. socal traffic is a whole new breed of traffic...

I live behind the orange curtain...heart of mountail lion attack country (two or three in the last 10 yrs i think). Is night riding a bad idea here? i would assume mountain lions are generally nocturnal? I'm assuming I'll still do it regardless, but i'm curious
    The signs in Chino Hills state park (also mountain lion country) say to use caution when hiking at dusk or dawn which is hunting time for the mountain lions. Even so, I'd be more worried about running into bad guys than lions. I wouldn't hesitate to ride at night there, (at least I wouldn't be concerned about mountain lions). If you ride with a partner, theres even less to worry about.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    less to worry about if as long as you're faster than your partner that is...
    Patents, trademarks, copyrights -- all day, everyday.

Just following orders
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti_Rider
    Further south is Sweetwater Reservoir in Bonita but I've never ridden there.
    What!?!!??!?

You are missing out on a very nice ride, especially with all that good stuff closed. I will let you know the next time Gary's group goes there.

/cb