Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 40

Thread: Mountain lions!

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: illbedeadbefore30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    66

    Mountain lions!

    Hello everyone,

    I don't mean to ruin anyone's ride's or anything, but you guys should really be careful riding by yourselves. I've ridden Palmdale, Santa Clarita and Fontana since the recent rain we've just got, and on all occasions I've seen mountain lion tracks. I was scouting a jump, down in this little gorge in Palmdale, at the Polona Vista soccer park on S and 10th st and I came up on a mountain lion den and all I could see where their eyes. Scary stuff...

    Just be careful out there!


    ...I carry a 4" knife with me, and I'd recommend doing the same. Not saying that it's GOING to happen, but a knife in your pocket could mean life or death.

    I apologize, once again. I'd just hate for someone to be caught offgaurd if something WERE to happen.

    Here's a picture of some tracks



    Pretty unmistakable.

    "Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,593
    Lots of local ordinaces that are pretty restrictive regarding blade length.
    Some of this is a bit dated but possibly useful:
    http://www.ninehundred.net/~equalccw/knifelaw.html
    http://www.zknives.com/knives/articl...nifelaws.shtml
    http://www.knifelawsonline.com/knifehome/
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

  3. #3
    I'm your density
    Reputation: random walk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,238
    I hiked the first 100 miles of the PCT with a couple of friends last Spring. We saw big cat tracks in a dry wash about 50 yds from our campsite -- the morning AFTER we camped there.

    I doubt it got any closer. I suppose not being able to bathe for 2-3 days has some benefits.

  4. #4
    Stray Bullet
    Reputation: Nagaredama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,258
    How many people get attacked by lions in CA every year? 0.125

    http://tchester.org/sgm/lists/lion_attacks_ca.html

    There is no logical reason to fear being killed by mountain lion more than being killed in a car accident or by the flu.

  5. #5
    Master of the Face Plant
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,860
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagaredama
    How many people get attacked by lions in CA every year? 0.125

    http://tchester.org/sgm/lists/lion_attacks_ca.html

    There is no logical reason to fear being killed by mountain lion more than being killed in a car accident or by the flu.
    There is really no logical reason to think you will be able to get to a knife or gun in time to defend yourself if you are attacked by one either. You have a greater chance of being attacked by a cow. Having said that if I saw one I would still sh!t myself.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    3,962
    i'd prolly try to make friends with them. Prolly not such a good idea though. what do they like to eat?
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

  7. #7
    I <3 Dirt
    Reputation: mealsonwheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    709
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmangts
    There is really no logical reason to think you will be able to get to a knife or gun in time to defend yourself if you are attacked by one either. You have a greater chance of being attacked by a cow. Having said that if I saw one I would still sh!t myself.
    I found this on courgarinfo.org and there are more stories like it of people fighting off the lions and saving their lives.

    01 August. 61-year-old David Parker was attacked by a 100 pound (45 Kg) adult, male cougar at about 7:30 p.m. on his nightly stroll along a road near his home about two kilometres outside of Port Alice. Because of a sudden downpour, he took shelter from the rain under a rock ledge hanging over the remote gravel road. As he leaned against the rock shelf outcropping, the cougar pounced down beside him, startling him. When he went for his pocket knife, he left his neck exposed and the cougar lunged. He had to throw his head in a way to protect his neck, *which is when it bit his scalp and pulled it down over his eyes. In the struggle, Parker was hurled into the ditch, where his jaw was shattered against a rock and his cheekbone broken.

    As the cat clawed and bit into his neck, face, and head, Parker managed to open his knife's three-inch blade, stab the cougar a few times, and eventually slit its throat, leaving the cat to bleed in the middle of the gravel road.

    With darkness descending and no one nearby on the deserted gravel road, Parker, a retired millworker, managed to walk one kilometre to an industrial log sorting depot, where Jeff Reaume sped him to hospital in a company-owned logging ambulance. Reaume said whether by instinct, knowledge, or luck, Parker was able to slash the throat of the mauling cat -- the surest way to kill it. "He knew how to cut the cat. He knew what he was doing. If it was someone who didn't know how to cut it, we'd have found a body there -- or nothing at all, just blood." A friend of Parker's, Larry Pepper, mayor of the small forestry-dependent town near the north end of Vancouver Island, figures the cougar kept fighting for two or three minutes even after being slashed, but it finally died on the road. "Not that many people get attacked by a cougar and get away."

  8. #8
    I <3 Dirt
    Reputation: mealsonwheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    709
    Quote Originally Posted by zarr
    i'd prolly try to make friends with them. Prolly not such a good idea though. what do they like to eat?
    They LOVE catnip, so I'd start there and see how things develop.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    3,962
    Quote Originally Posted by mealsonwheels
    They LOVE catnip, so I'd start there and see how things develop.
    They may also see us as your screen name suggests.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

  10. #10
    Geritol Power
    Reputation: Duzitall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,457
    Quote Originally Posted by zarr
    They may also see us as your screen name suggests.
    Ryan burgers...blood rare Actually on Manswers the other night they said the most dangerous wild animal in North America (besides people) is the deer. They are more prone to attack humans than cats.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    3,962
    Quote Originally Posted by Duzitall
    Ryan burgers...blood rare Actually on Manswers the other night they said the most dangerous wild animal in North America (besides people) is the deer. They are more prone to attack humans than cats.
    Well if what you're saying is true, then i've been living very dangerously for a while now...trying to be friends with the deer around my job. Maybe I look like one of those wild animal people you're speaking of to them. ...If they only knew that deep down...I'm just a creampuff.
    ...But then I might be their desert entry!!! P.S.-maybe deer only eat vegetarians.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    682
    It's the zombies that worry me.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    3,962
    Quote Originally Posted by ChipV
    It's the zombies that worry me.
    zombie cats?
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smilinsteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,463
    They say you should be skeptical about the stuff you read on the internets, so I think I'll be skeptical about this:

    the most dangerous wild animal in North America (besides people) is the deer.

  15. #15
    Geritol Power
    Reputation: Duzitall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,457
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve
    They say you should be skeptical about the stuff you read on the internets, so I think I'll be skeptical about this:
    Perhaps that's best. That Manswers "deadly deer" info was relayed to me by my wife. She actually watched the show while I slept on the couch

    I thought if that fact is true maybe they are including human deaths or injuries cause by deer/car accidents.

  16. #16
    I <3 Dirt
    Reputation: mealsonwheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    709
    Quote Originally Posted by zarr
    They may also see us as your screen name suggests.
    Yeah, and unfortunately I'm not fast food.

  17. #17
    I <3 Dirt
    Reputation: mealsonwheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    709
    How funny that your wife watches Manswers! I catch my wife watching Spike occasionally too.

  18. #18
    Stray Bullet
    Reputation: Nagaredama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,258
    Who wants to go riding in Arizona near a water tank?

    Mountain Lions at Whit tanks.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,425
    Duzitall has it right. The reason deer kill more people than any other animal is because of cars hitting them. Say you are going down the road at about 50 mph, and a deer runs out in front of you and you hit it. That deer most likely will come through the windsheild into your face, leaving you dead or really screwed up.

    Best, John

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    3,962
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl
    Duzitall has it right. The reason deer kill more people than any other animal is because of cars hitting them. Say you are going down the road at about 50 mph, and a deer runs out in front of you and you hit it. That deer most likely will come through the windsheild into your face, leaving you dead or really screwed up.

    Best, John
    The deer sometime want to run WITH you!! I once came home from work one night driving very slowly. A deer came out on to the road and ran BESIDE my van like I was his buddy. He wanted to run WITH me!! I looked for him other nights, but I guess our schedules weren't the same. This is a TRUE Story. No joke.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smilinsteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,463
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagaredama
    Who wants to go riding in Arizona near a water tank?

    Mountain Lions at Whit tanks.
    Those are incredible pics!

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    71

    big cats are no joke...

    yep ive see tracks out by devils punch bowl above little rock and got some friends who live up there that seen a few ans one bear cub which means mama is not far behind.........so its tru be carfull. and oh yeah a few bob cats out by edwards too

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,593
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve
    They say you should be skeptical about the stuff you read on the internets, so I think I'll be skeptical about this:
    Actually it is probably true that deer are more dangerous.
    What they leave out is you die from hitting them with your car and having them smash through the windsheild into you at 70 MPH.
    I saw an interview with a lady back in GA who wasn't dead only because the deer was too large to fit through the windsheild easy. For the area it was a real monster.

    Saw the fellow who got mauled and managed to kill the cat as well. The biggest thing is he didn't give up and say 'Oh no I'm already dead!'

  24. #24
    Hello
    Reputation: charlesinoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    309
    I love riding by myself, especially in the back country. I seriously hate post like this.

    sent from my rotary phone

  25. #25
    official eMpTyBRain
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    20,897
    Quote Originally Posted by archer
    Lots of local ordinaces that are pretty restrictive regarding blade length.
    Some of this is a bit dated but possibly useful:
    http://www.ninehundred.net/~equalccw/knifelaw.html
    http://www.zknives.com/knives/articl...nifelaws.shtml
    http://www.knifelawsonline.com/knifehome/
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf
    Yeah, that's why I only ride alone with a 30-06 strapped over my shoulder. Really don't want to break any of those blade legnth or handgun laws!

    Relax about the kittys, attacks on HUMANS are extremely rare North of the O.C. We have a more passive strain of wild kitty up here. It's the Mexican strain of wild kitty that you want to watch out for and their territory's most Northern boundary is in the O.C.

    If you see one, say, "nice kitty" and move along...
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •