Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Mountain Lion sighting on Sullivan Ridge!

4K views 31 replies 17 participants last post by  2w4s 
#1 ·
I skipped out from work early yesterday afternoon to get a nice long ride in. I was solo and getting tired and it was starting to get dark so I headed down Sullivan ridge. I was on the pavement and was approaching the saddle where the ridge passes from the right to the left awhile after you've passed the boy scout camp. There is a trail there that goes up to the left - don't know what it's called but its heck of hard to ride so I usually skip it - and I saw an animal walking up it and then trotting up it. At first I assumed it was a coyote because they are pretty common, and it had a tail. But it was moving in a very feline way, I slowed and then stopped to look assuming that it was a large bobcat....but it had a tail, and then it turned its head and it was DEFINITELY feline. I realized it was a lion! Maybe a young one, it was smaller that I expected. I was maybe 50 feet away, it disappeared off the trail. I was super excited because I've never seen one before. Then it occured to me that I should perhaps keep moving so I pedalled down the ridge, and found some new spin in my tired legs once my brain really registered what I had seen. WOO!

#4 ·
Impy said:
I skipped out from work early yesterday afternoon to get a nice long ride in. I was solo and getting tired and it was starting to get dark so I headed down Sullivan ridge. I was on the pavement and was approaching the saddle where the ridge passes from the right to the left awhile after you've passed the boy scout camp. There is a trail there that goes up to the left - don't know what it's called but its heck of hard to ride so I usually skip it - and I saw an animal walking up it and then trotting up it. At first I assumed it was a coyote because they are pretty common, and it had a tail. But it was moving in a very feline way, I slowed and then stopped to look assuming that it was a large bobcat....but it had a tail, and then it turned its head and it was DEFINITELY feline. I realized it was a lion! Maybe a young one, it was smaller that I expected. I was maybe 50 feet away, it disappeared off the trail. I was super excited because I've never seen one before. Then it occured to me that I should perhaps keep moving so I pedalled down the ridge, and found some new spin in my tired legs once my brain really registered what I had seen. WOO!
I was up there too. Bummer I didnt see that-they are super cool. You are a lucky man. I have seen Bob cats up Mandeville and Bucks too. We are very close to them here in Santa Monica. Thanks for the info

#5 ·
Impy said:
I . At first I assumed it was a coyote because they are pretty common, and it had a tail. But it was moving in a very feline way, I slowed and then stopped to look assuming that it was a large bobcat....but it had a tail, and then it turned its head and it was DEFINITELY feline. I realized it was a lion! Maybe a young one, it was smaller that I expected. I was maybe 50 feet away, it disappeaRred off the trail. I was super excited because WOO!
Both, Mountain lions an bob cats have tails. Not saying that you did not see a coug. But that is not what will tell them apart.

#12 ·
Hey, so just 3 days ago, I was headed down Sullivan, again but this time a little further up and on the road. A feline and a hawk came bursting out of the bushes. The hawk went into a tree, and cat (definitely a bobcat on this day) went bounding across the trail then into the bushes. I think they must have been after the same prey. This one definitely a bobcat, had a shortish tail, with a white tuft at the end, and smallish..

2 felines in one month, usually I only see 2 a year!

#18 ·
Honey Badger sees a house of bees..... he doesn't give a s**t.

Wish I felt that way yesterday riding thru Sycamore (Santee) Canyon. Moving along pretty fast I came up on a swarm of bees the size of a house! ACK!

No stings but the poor guy behind me got 3........

Where is the Honey Badger when ya need him!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.