Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Mountain lion sighting

3K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  dave785 
#1 ·
This was from a friend of a friend Of a friend... But thought I should share.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
There are studies (US Davis July 2015) that show as many as 21 collared lions in the Santiago/Cleveland Forest/Santa Ana Mountains area and all along Main Divide. Obviously this number changes constantly. Based on these studies most lion concentrations seem to be South of 91, West of 15 between OC and the IE. Many Lions routinely die trying to cross the roads (often the Toll Roads) and get struck by a vehicle. Rangers have also warned to be careful riding alone in those remote areas.

I rode Main Divide yesterday and there is large Scat everywhere, including down Eagle. I have only seen one Lion on the Bike, and it was in Chino Hills Park which has some big cats but not many. I will say I can guarantee you that if you ride those areas often at all, the big cats (not just Bobcats) have seen you! If you have the time and really want to educate yourself, read this. It is a long read so no need to click unless you hunger to know more.

PLOS ONE: Survival and Mortality of Pumas (Puma concolor) in a Fragmented, Urbanizing Landscape

Work cited: T. Winston Vickers , Jessica N. Sanchez, Christine K. Johnson, Scott A. Morrison, Randy Botta, Trish Smith, Brian S. Cohen, Patrick R. Huber, Holly B. Ernest, Walter M. Boyce
Published: July 15, 2015http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0131490

#13 ·
kinda hard to believe the cat went after him the second time and someone was actually riding up the Luge. What time was it?

Anyways here's another great tip from the guy who told you to buy non quick release locks, an internal bike GPS, alarm padlocks and flattening your tires at bikeracks....

AIR HORNS!!!

Great for security, they scare both feline and human cougars. Nobody likes to hear them go off. Even with shaky sh*t in the pants scenarios, they work better than grabbing rocks. Because what if there arent any rocks.... Also great for pranking your co riders, but save the blasts for mountain lions. Think of the lives saved or physical harm averted if everyone had an airhorn inside their Camelbak....it helps ward off rapists too.
Mountain Lions: What you should and shouldn't do.(merged) | SoCal Trail Riders - Southern California Mountain Bike Community

Attachments

#17 ·
My little air horn just arrived from Amazon! I have yet to even see a mountain lion, let alone have an encounter. Nor have I encountered any rattlers yet. And that's with riding 3-4 times a week in so cal for the last two years. So I'm feeling like I'm overdue for an encounter.

Anyways, I won't be bringing the air horn with me on my daily rides in the Verdugos, but it'll be in my hydration pack for my more remote rides. Kinda wish there was a "safety" on it though, as I've already accidentally discharged it a couple times!

#18 ·
My little air horn just arrived from Amazon! I have yet to even see a mountain lion, let alone have an encounter. Nor have I encountered any rattlers yet. And that's with riding 3-4 times a week in so cal for the last two years. So I'm feeling like I'm overdue for an encounter.

Anyways, I won't be bringing the air horn with me on my daily rides in the Verdugos, but it'll be in my hydration pack for my more remote rides. Kinda wish there was a "safety" on it though, as I've already accidentally discharged it a couple times!
Good luck with that. I've been a rider for 16 years and an avid outdoorsman for twice that. I've never been lucky enough to see one. Only a dead deer carcass half buried and paw prints. I did however hike up Stonewall trail, east of San Diego in 1994 a day before that teacher was chased down and killed by a lion. My girl and I hiked it many times prior without anything wrong. That particular day we both kept commenting that we felt something was watching us.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.