Knomer

Mountain lion(P1) sighting on Gizmo Peak/Farmers Ridge, SM's?

Rode with a friend this morning and stopped to rest at the rocky outlook on the east end of Gizmo Peak, aka Farmer's ridge. Someone had written in the sand "Gizmo Peak, P1", and I was curious if that had meant they had seen P1 from that spot. For those who don't know, P1 is known as the patriarch lion/cougar of the Santa Monica Mountains, and is reportedly very large.

I've seen my share of bobcats and foxes in the last couple weeks in the eastern SM's, but never a cougar.
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms
    Rode with a friend this morning and stopped to rest at the rocky outlook on the east end of Gizmo Peak, aka Farmer's ridge. Someone had written in the sand "Gizmo Peak, P1", and I was curious if that had meant they had seen P1 from that spot. For those who don't know, P1 is known as the patriarch lion/cougar of the Santa Monica Mountains, and is reportedly very large.

I've seen my share of bobcats and foxes in the last couple weeks in the eastern SM's, but never a cougar.
    Yeah the rangers have a radio collar on him (P1). And I have seen on T.V. a map showing how close he comes to entering housing developements. He travels the canyons that seperate neighborhoods. And there has been many a fresh deer kill only within 100 yards of the house's.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 01-09-2008 at 01:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms

As I already told you, I was hiking in Santa Ynez cyn last week and actually came across a near-complete (and quite fresh) deer skeleton - looked like someone had just pulled the whole spine and attached ribs right out of a body - it was that picked-clean, as it was twilight, I got pretty nervous about whichever kitty was in the area (they tend to hang around kills until done)

did the same hike yesterday and the skeleton was gone - which was a bit odd....
    "Cram as much pleasure into life, and rail against the pain you have to suffer as a result" - Shane MacGowan

my dog's Frisbee launcher
    We have them too...ours are just bigger see this Thread
    Arizona Lion...
    Darwin was an Optimist