Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Mountain lion on Brown mtn/ JPL

Anybody else run into a huge ass and I mean huge ass mountain lion on the fire road recently, because it scared the living crap out of me, thursday July 10 at 10 am. Strolled out of the weeds 3 feet from me and was as startled as I was, but was in no hurry to run away. Happened at the top of Bown Mtn fireroad, my heart rate was already racing but my adrenaline went through the roof by the time I turned and got the hell out of there.

NEWBIE WAN KENOBI
    wow ! thats some scary s**t !

ive also encountered some s**t yesterday night when i went to missiontrail here in sd for the first time ! ive seen 2 snakes and 2 tarantulas on the trail !

i have never seen that before ! it scared the s**t out of me ! hahahah
    DO YOU BUTT QUEEF ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Newbie Wan Kenobi
    wow ! thats some scary s**t !

ive also encountered some s**t yesterday night when i went to missiontrail here in sd for the first time ! ive seen 2 snakes and 2 tarantulas on the trail !

i have never seen that before ! it scared the s**t out of me ! hahahah
    I have been seeing a lot more snakes and spiders on the trail in the last few weeks. Ran on over last night (sorry fella) on the way up Indian Truck Trail in Murrieta.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Wow that must of been really scary, i was there about three weeks ago and i'm going back this coming Sunday. What did you do to make it run away or did it run on its own.

keep the shiny side up!
    no mtn lion, but saw the back end of a bear as i was coming down from the top of brown. i was happy that it was a bear and not a mtn lion

Glad to Be Alive
    might be the same lion that another guy posted a while back
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Where exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by dig slathig
    huge ass mountain lion on the fire road recently, ....... Thursday July 10 at 10 am. Strolled out of the weeds 3 feet from me..... Brown Mtn fire road
    Have looked for signs of this and have yet to see any......

A more precise location would be helpful

I'd like to get a look at this animal and photograph it

Thanks

i can't type the letter s
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    might be the same lion that another guy posted a while back
    This One? Taken just above JPL. Looks PO'd.

cougar jpl.jpg

mtbr member

Yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by mouse jockey
    WOW, who took that pic?!?

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnlionhunter

I'd like to get a look at this animal and photograph it

Thanks
    LOL
    Trolling for Cougars are ya.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnlionhunter

I "encountered" him 50' from the tippy top of the fireroad, he headed over towards the ken burton trail, and I turned my skinny scared ass around and headed down the road at warp speed.

He looked exactly like the one in that picture, and thats exactly how far away we were from each other, but I think the PO'd face is just an act for the camera, he actually looked quite lovable.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Don't worry, I'm sure he "just wanted to play"! Thanks for the info. This lion is getting famous - been lots of sightings around Millard and El Prieto this spring (who knows how many are legit, though). We've had some trail cameras around to try to get a picture, but no luck yet. I haven't seen tracks in the area, but there's so much traffic on that road, I'm sure they get obliterated.

Here's one that you guys don't have to worry about - he's in a canyon pretty far from any trails. Big 'un, though. Glad I'm not a deer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=welpr2_nfW8

mtbr member
    Glad your ok... around what time was the encounter? I always ride Brown and I had an encounter as well but at that time it was at the bottom of Prieto. The reason I ask for the time is because my theory is if I start my ride at 7am by then hoping this carnivores had their breakfast already since it will be too hot to hunt in the middle of the day.
    Last week as i was heading down Prieto I was trailing something either a bear or this lion. The paw prints was evident until the 2nd creek crossing I didnt know if I should go faster but i was afraid i might catch up to it and ambush my arse. Ive been thinking of mounting a cowbell to maybe spook any of these animals in advance. Any of you guys carry bear spray or knives to have sometype of protection?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I carry a folding pocket knife in my camelbak whenever i ride. Never know when you'll need it so it won't hurt to carry it. Thinking of getting some pepper spray now that i see this topic.

Mt Wilson Motoboy

I think this is a mother...

... I saw a young lion (30lbs or so) about 4 months ago on the PAVEMENT leading into the Brown / El P ride. It hopped down onto the road in front of me from a canyon on the left just below the second bridge.. (the wooden one). Scared the crap out of me thinking mom's watching!
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"]"My people are the people of the dessert!"
    said T.E. Lawrence picking up his fork...[/SIZE]
    [/SIZE][/SIZE]

Silence and Thunder...
    Quote Originally Posted by Boon Fly
    WOW, who took that pic?!?
    ..this guy...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ...every day sends future to past...

I like bloody ankles
    It's a rare occurrence for a big cat to let you see them, and very cool when it happens.

Best encounter I've ever had was about 10 years ago in Caspers Park on a rainy day during an organize "fun race." I was lucky enough to be in front of the pack by a decent gap and had a lion jump out into the singletrack about 10 yards in front of me. He took a quick look, and turned down the trail in front of me where he ran the same line I was on for about 50 yards before cutting into the brush.

That was one of most memorable things I've seen on a bike. Never had the change to chase a big cat again, and likely never will !

mtbr member

Ansel?

Quote Originally Posted by xjbebop
    ..this guy...
    LMAO!

The next Ansel Adams...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirthugger
    Glad your ok... around what time was the encounter? I always ride Brown and I had an encounter as well but at that time it was at the bottom of Prieto. The reason I ask for the time is because my theory is if I start my ride at 7am by then hoping this carnivores had their breakfast already since it will be too hot to hunt in the middle of the day.
    Last week as i was heading down Prieto I was trailing something either a bear or this lion. The paw prints was evident until the 2nd creek crossing I didnt know if I should go faster but i was afraid i might catch up to it and ambush my arse. Ive been thinking of mounting a cowbell to maybe spook any of these animals in advance. Any of you guys carry bear spray or knives to have sometype of protection?

10:00 am
    I suppose he had brunch by then
    I'm carrying a bell, a whistle, a knife, and pepper spray on my bars
    screw the weight issue

Front Range, Colorado
    _
    _
    _
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 07-17-2008 at 02:13 PM.

REALLY?
    DO NOT RUN FROM A LION. Back away from it slowly, but only if you can do so safely. Running may stimulate a lion's instinct to chase and attack. Face the lion and stand upright. Make eye contact. And lastly, DO NOT BEND OR CROUCH OVER; DO ALL YOU CAN TO APPEAR LARGER. A person squatting or bending over looks a lot like a four-legged prey animal. Raise your arms. Open your jacket, if you're wearing one. Throw stones, branches, or whatever you can grab without crouching down or turning your back. Wave your arms slowly and speak firmly in a large voice. IF ATTACKED, FGHT BACK. Try to stay on your feet if a lion attacks you. Lions have been driven off by prey that fights back.
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

Front Range, Colorado
    Jpeg
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 07-18-2008 at 02:57 PM.

Johny Sokko!
    All us Brown, El P, Merril, Red Box, Chilao, Burton, Strawberry Peak riding mofo's need to ride in pairs and with no headphones (can hear what the heck is going on). You'll be jammin out to Britney Spears, next thing you know you got the wind knocked out of you!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoner
    All us Brown, El P, Merril, Red Box, Chilao, Burton, Strawberry Peak riding mofo's need to ride in pairs and with no headphones (can hear what the heck is going on). You'll be jammin out to Britney Spears, next thing you know you got the wind knocked out of you!

I ride in that area usally alone and with my IPOD. I'm a rolling mountain lion buffet.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by mouse jockey

cougar jpl.jpg

that would be the one
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast