mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Mountain lion on Brown mtn/ JPL

Anybody else run into a huge ass and I mean huge ass mountain lion on the fire road recently, because it scared the living crap out of me, thursday July 10 at 10 am. Strolled out of the weeds 3 feet from me and was as startled as I was, but was in no hurry to run away. Happened at the top of Bown Mtn fireroad, my heart rate was already racing but my adrenaline went through the roof by the time I turned and got the hell out of there.

NEWBIE WAN KENOBI
    wow ! thats some scary s**t !

ive also encountered some s**t yesterday night when i went to missiontrail here in sd for the first time ! ive seen 2 snakes and 2 tarantulas on the trail !

i have never seen that before ! it scared the s**t out of me ! hahahah
    DO YOU BUTT QUEEF ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Newbie Wan Kenobi

ive also encountered some s**t yesterday night when i went to missiontrail here in sd for the first time ! ive seen 2 snakes and 2 tarantulas on the trail !

I have been seeing a lot more snakes and spiders on the trail in the last few weeks. Ran on over last night (sorry fella) on the way up Indian Truck Trail in Murrieta.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Wow that must of been really scary, i was there about three weeks ago and i'm going back this coming Sunday. What did you do to make it run away or did it run on its own.

keep the shiny side up!
    no mtn lion, but saw the back end of a bear as i was coming down from the top of brown. i was happy that it was a bear and not a mtn lion

Glad to Be Alive
    might be the same lion that another guy posted a while back
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Where exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by dig slathig
    huge ass mountain lion on the fire road recently, ....... Thursday July 10 at 10 am. Strolled out of the weeds 3 feet from me..... Brown Mtn fire road
    Have looked for signs of this and have yet to see any......

A more precise location would be helpful

I'd like to get a look at this animal and photograph it

Thanks

i can't type the letter s
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    might be the same lion that another guy posted a while back
    This One? Taken just above JPL. Looks PO'd.

cougar jpl.jpg

mtbr member

Yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by mouse jockey
    WOW, who took that pic?!?

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnlionhunter

I'd like to get a look at this animal and photograph it

Thanks
    LOL
    Trolling for Cougars are ya.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnlionhunter

I "encountered" him 50' from the tippy top of the fireroad, he headed over towards the ken burton trail, and I turned my skinny scared ass around and headed down the road at warp speed.

He looked exactly like the one in that picture, and thats exactly how far away we were from each other, but I think the PO'd face is just an act for the camera, he actually looked quite lovable.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Don't worry, I'm sure he "just wanted to play"! Thanks for the info. This lion is getting famous - been lots of sightings around Millard and El Prieto this spring (who knows how many are legit, though). We've had some trail cameras around to try to get a picture, but no luck yet. I haven't seen tracks in the area, but there's so much traffic on that road, I'm sure they get obliterated.

Here's one that you guys don't have to worry about - he's in a canyon pretty far from any trails. Big 'un, though. Glad I'm not a deer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=welpr2_nfW8

mtbr member
    Glad your ok... around what time was the encounter? I always ride Brown and I had an encounter as well but at that time it was at the bottom of Prieto. The reason I ask for the time is because my theory is if I start my ride at 7am by then hoping this carnivores had their breakfast already since it will be too hot to hunt in the middle of the day.
    Last week as i was heading down Prieto I was trailing something either a bear or this lion. The paw prints was evident until the 2nd creek crossing I didnt know if I should go faster but i was afraid i might catch up to it and ambush my arse. Ive been thinking of mounting a cowbell to maybe spook any of these animals in advance. Any of you guys carry bear spray or knives to have sometype of protection?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I carry a folding pocket knife in my camelbak whenever i ride. Never know when you'll need it so it won't hurt to carry it. Thinking of getting some pepper spray now that i see this topic.

Mt Wilson Motoboy

I think this is a mother...

... I saw a young lion (30lbs or so) about 4 months ago on the PAVEMENT leading into the Brown / El P ride. It hopped down onto the road in front of me from a canyon on the left just below the second bridge.. (the wooden one). Scared the crap out of me thinking mom's watching!
    "My people are the people of the dessert!"
    said T.E. Lawrence picking up his fork...

Time flies...
    Quote Originally Posted by Boon Fly
    WOW, who took that pic?!?
    ..this guy...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ...every day sends future to past...

I like bloody ankles
    It's a rare occurrence for a big cat to let you see them, and very cool when it happens.

Best encounter I've ever had was about 10 years ago in Caspers Park on a rainy day during an organize "fun race." I was lucky enough to be in front of the pack by a decent gap and had a lion jump out into the singletrack about 10 yards in front of me. He took a quick look, and turned down the trail in front of me where he ran the same line I was on for about 50 yards before cutting into the brush.

That was one of most memorable things I've seen on a bike. Never had the change to chase a big cat again, and likely never will !

mtbr member

Ansel?

Quote Originally Posted by xjbebop
    ..this guy...
    LMAO!

The next Ansel Adams...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirthugger
    Glad your ok... around what time was the encounter? I always ride Brown and I had an encounter as well but at that time it was at the bottom of Prieto. The reason I ask for the time is because my theory is if I start my ride at 7am by then hoping this carnivores had their breakfast already since it will be too hot to hunt in the middle of the day.
    Last week as i was heading down Prieto I was trailing something either a bear or this lion. The paw prints was evident until the 2nd creek crossing I didnt know if I should go faster but i was afraid i might catch up to it and ambush my arse. Ive been thinking of mounting a cowbell to maybe spook any of these animals in advance. Any of you guys carry bear spray or knives to have sometype of protection?

10:00 am
    I suppose he had brunch by then
    I'm carrying a bell, a whistle, a knife, and pepper spray on my bars
    screw the weight issue

_
    _
    _
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 07-17-2008 at 01:13 PM.

REALLY?
    DO NOT RUN FROM A LION. Back away from it slowly, but only if you can do so safely. Running may stimulate a lion's instinct to chase and attack. Face the lion and stand upright. Make eye contact. And lastly, DO NOT BEND OR CROUCH OVER; DO ALL YOU CAN TO APPEAR LARGER. A person squatting or bending over looks a lot like a four-legged prey animal. Raise your arms. Open your jacket, if you're wearing one. Throw stones, branches, or whatever you can grab without crouching down or turning your back. Wave your arms slowly and speak firmly in a large voice. IF ATTACKED, FGHT BACK. Try to stay on your feet if a lion attacks you. Lions have been driven off by prey that fights back.
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

Jpeg
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 07-18-2008 at 01:57 PM.

Johny Sokko!
    All us Brown, El P, Merril, Red Box, Chilao, Burton, Strawberry Peak riding mofo's need to ride in pairs and with no headphones (can hear what the heck is going on). You'll be jammin out to Britney Spears, next thing you know you got the wind knocked out of you!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoner
    All us Brown, El P, Merril, Red Box, Chilao, Burton, Strawberry Peak riding mofo's need to ride in pairs and with no headphones (can hear what the heck is going on). You'll be jammin out to Britney Spears, next thing you know you got the wind knocked out of you!

I ride in that area usally alone and with my IPOD. I'm a rolling mountain lion buffet.

Glad to Be Alive

cougar jpl.jpg

that would be the one
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Originally Posted by jet429
    I carry a folding pocket knife in my camelbak whenever i ride. Never know when you'll need it so it won't hurt to carry it. Thinking of getting some pepper spray now that i see this topic.

Yeah, wait a minute Mr. Lion don't pounce on me from behind without so much as a sound. I have to take my Camelbak off, unzip, dig through the PB&J sandwiches and tools & TP to find my folding pocket knife. I then have to unfold it, get off of my bike and then I will be ready for you to pounce. Oh, and before we do this do you mind if I eat a protein bar?
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 07-21-2008 at 04:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

da lion tamer

he looks like he likes the human food that you may be able too spare!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoner

I was railing down a fire road the other day and came across a hiker with an ipod. My brakes squeal a lot and he did not hear me until I was right up on him. I scared the hell out of his mtn lion snackity-snack ass. Don't wear ipods on trails, folks.

Old Enough to Know Better
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Dolor
    Why, on godz green Earth does a person go out for a little "re-charge" experience in a nature preserve, and put in what amounts to earplugs for the duration? ........... To me, it is muy estupido.
    I'm with you, bro! I can't think of anything much dumber than shutting off one of your primary sensors while outdoors!

mtbr member
    I used to wear an IPOD and blast off while riding until recently. I unmounted my bike for some well needed stretch after going up a long hill; I was close to the side of the road, when I took a few steps forward to get ready to jump back on my bike from the corner of my eye I caught something moving by my front wheel. Dammm! a rattler was coiling up, with its head cocked back getting ready to strike. Man I jump back so fast and so far that I almost fell on my back. I took my earphones off and then I heard it. It was mad. That's the last time I rode with my IPOD.

Quote Originally Posted by hozzerr1
    I used to wear an IPOD and blast off while riding until recently. I unmounted my bike for some well needed stretch after going up a long hill; I was close to the side of the road, when I took a few steps forward to get ready to jump back on my bike from the corner of my eye I caught something moving by my front wheel. Dammm! a rattler was coiling up, with its head cocked back getting ready to strike. Man I jump back so fast and so far that I almost fell on my back. I took my earphones off and then I heard it. It was mad. That's the last time I rode with my IPOD.
    That would definitely get your attention and get you to drop riding with an IPOD.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by hozzerr1
    come on it wasn't that big (about 4 to 5 feet)
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

hello Lion

Just so you know, the mountain lion was more stealth than a little squirrily assed squirrel darting through the bushes when it "appeared". Though I also dont recommend shutting down your ear-sensors with some ear bud ipod blasting classic rockage.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Just moved from Connecticut, Socal wildlife freaks me out.

Quote Originally Posted by NA1NSXR
    Just moved from Connecticut, Socal wildlife freaks me out.
    That was so funny I used it for my new signature. Thank you very much.
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    So I shoot off all full of bravado, hit this wee booter - grabbing some air, then I land - leading into a greasy rut.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Had my closest and hopefully last encounter with a mountain lion about 3 hours ago. I was descending upper brown when I saw the reflection of 2 eyes peering at me through the brush. As I got closer I saw that it was a mountain lion and started veering away from him, hoping that he would just watch me ride by. Unfortunately the big cat jumped out of the brush and lunged at me with front paws up in the air. I'm not sure if it was my shouting or my headlight that made him stop and I didn't wait around to find out. I was shouting to my buddy not to come down, but he couldn't hear me. Fortunately, the lion didn't lunge at him. Foolishly or not, we decided to head back up to warn another group of bikers that were at the saddle. Believe it or not, as we were descending, I saw that familiar 2 eye reflection, and sure enough, a mountain lion was laying in the brush about 15 yards from us. Unfortunately, no camera was handy to snap a pic. Fortunately the cat just layed there, and we soon headed down, constanly watching our backs. That was just way too close, so please beware!.

mtbr member
    holy crap ! how big was the lion ?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Looked full grown to me. Bigger than my friends yellow lab which weighs 85#.

mtbr member
    Did he have my black Fox right side elbow pad on him?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Believe it or not that's what probably saved me. The foolish cat mistakenly put the pad on his rear leg which got snagged on a branch causing him to fall short of his potential prey.

Botox User
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ericliu23
    Had my closest and hopefully last encounter with a mountain lion about 3 hours ago. I was descending upper brown when I saw the reflection of 2 eyes peering at me through the brush. As I got closer I saw that it was a mountain lion and started veering away from him, hoping that he would just watch me ride by. Unfortunately the big cat jumped out of the brush and lunged at me with front paws up in the air. I'm not sure if it was my shouting or my headlight that made him stop and I didn't wait around to find out. I was shouting to my buddy not to come down, but he couldn't hear me. Fortunately, the lion didn't lunge at him. Foolishly or not, we decided to head back up to warn another group of bikers that were at the saddle. Believe it or not, as we were descending, I saw that familiar 2 eye reflection, and sure enough, a mountain lion was laying in the brush about 15 yards from us. Unfortunately, no camera was handy to snap a pic. Fortunately the cat just layed there, and we soon headed down, constanly watching our backs. That was just way too close, so please beware!.
    Jesus Christ I would **** my pants at that sight. Time to rock a bike horn:
    http://www.amazon.com/Delta-Airzound...2876768&sr=8-1

keep the shiny side up!
    eric,

thanks for chasing the cat away for us!
    brian and i appreciated it very much. u should come out every tues and thurs with us. we need good lion bate.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phat_Head
    eric,

thanks for chasing the cat away for us!
    brian and i appreciated it very much. u should come out every tues and thurs with us. we need good lion bate.
    This is why I always like to ride with a slower rider, let them ride bait position.

yep
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Montrose Blur
    i think you left a card on my window the other day. sorry, didnt see an elbow pad.

Older & Faster...downhill
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Montrose Blur
    LOL! Having read your other post and then have it pop up like this...well let's just say I'm easily amused.

Older & Faster...downhill
    Aug 2008
    My favorite saying, "I don't have to be fast, just faster than you." Unfortunately I'm usually the slower guy.

mtbr member
    Two weeks ago, while coming down the 2nd half of the horse trail, I had 2 berms to hit it before it flatened out & a 100 yds to the road, just as I hit the 1st berm a head popped up on the other side of the berm,{mt lion} I think we scared the hell of each other it went one way I went the other, Yelling , screaming & looking back , about 50 yds further I ran into a trail runner & warned him. Got to Jpl parking lot told some of the people I ride with & they did'nt seem to believe me O well. be careful out there people.

Glad to Be Alive
    where???

mtbr member
    I'm new to the site. Where is Brown mountain/JPL located?

keep the shiny side up!
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    where???
    the sighting was just below the saddle on brown.

FTM
    Quote Originally Posted by proskisd
    I'm new to the site. Where is Brown mountain/JPL located?
    The San Gabriel Mountains in Altadena (just north of Pasadena) and more importantly 1/2 mile from my house. I ride these trails by myself and at night all the time; must re-think my ride plans!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Thanks for ruining my ride this morning. It's hard to keep a straight line down El Prieto when I'm constantly looking over my shoulder for Simba.

i can't type the letter s
    So, if the sightings continue, is it the right thing to do to kill the animal? This is the dilemna to me. On the one hand, we want a nature experience, on the other we don't want to take a risk that is basically inseperable from ant nature experience. .
    I think we should import mule deer to make sure they have plenty of resources for food. A fat and full kitty makes for a slow and satisfied kitty. I have a picture of the cow being lowered in the raptor paddock in Jurassic Park in my mind here.

Half joking, but I think there is some truth to this. If there is plenty of food available the odd of a cat attacking an odd food source (people) drops. Usually an attack on a person in that case happens if 1) the cat is protecting its young or 2) the cat is protecting its food or kill.

The "right" thing? I would argue the "right" thing is to relocate the animal or animals a bit further away from settled areas. I don't necessarily agree with the sentiment "they were here first" because a strong case can be made that temporal priority doesn't equate to ontological priority (google it people). Admittedly, this does have some background baggage to unpack. But, on the other hand, I also don't think that we have a "right" to eradicate by extinction (local or not) animal life that has the potential to harm individuals who do venture into the wilderness areas.

Caveat Viator
    Last edited by mouse jockey; 10-03-2008 at 08:02 AM.

Botox User
    Aug 2008

The "right" thing? I would argue the "right" thing is to relocate the animal or animals a bit further away from settled areas. I don't necessarily agree with the sentiment "they were here first" because a strong case can be made that temporal priority doesn't equate to ontological priority (google it people). Admittedly, this does have some background baggage to unpack. But, on the other hand, I also don't think that we have a "right" to eradicate by extinction (local or not) animal life that has the potential to harm individuals who do venture into the wilderness areas.
    I second relocation. These kitties are important to the food chain. We don't want to run over hundreds of rabbits on the trail because they no longer have a predator.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    .....San Diego County. Every single one failed. And every time, the animal suffered tremendously, as it was driven from territory to territory, weakening all the while, until finally, the exhausted, beat-up, highly starved animal made it back to its' original capture site.

At which point, it was a matter of euthanizing the debilitated critter.
    Unless the relocation distance is very large, this is the cycle that follows. I've seen the same thing with bears.

I'm an advocate of killing predators when they get too close to population areas or people. Human life is more important than any animal and I don't care who was there first.

Quote Originally Posted by Newbie Wan Kenobi

Maybe you should have stopped and taken a bathroom break.
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    So I shoot off all full of bravado, hit this wee booter - grabbing some air, then I land - leading into a greasy rut.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jet429
    In your camelbak??? How are you gonna get to it when the lion has you by the helmet??? You need to have it in a place where it is easily and instantly obtainable. This is why I ride in baggy shorts. My very sharp, mtn lion hungry folding knife is right there in my pocket!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I have a fixed blade ON my camelbak shoulder strap held in with a kydex sheath which has no straps to fuss with. No need to dig through any pockets. BTW, did you read about the 140# Mtn Lion they killed in Arcadia? I hope that was the one that jumped at me.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    I have a fixed blade ON my camelbak shoulder strap held in with a kydex sheath which has no straps to fuss with. No need to dig through any pockets. BTW, did you read about the 140# Mtn Lion they killed in Arcadia? I hope that was the one that jumped at me.
    Ah, I see. Good idea on the knife placement. Yes, I read the post about the cat in Arcadia. Sad, but neccessary to kill it, I guess?

Did the cat you encountered really jump at you as if it were making an attack or was it more of a startled jesture??? Cuz if it was thinking of you as a meal, I am really suprised it didn't make contact???!!! YIKES!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    From my point of view, it looked like dinner time. I doubt if I spooked it as I saw the reflection of 2 eyes staring at me from about 25 yards away. The cat was in the brush to my left, facing the trail. I think the combination of my headlight and screaming caused a little confusion.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    So this was at or near night time??? That's why it happened. I realize that night rides are fun but I really think you are just asking for it being out in a lion's element in low light conditions during it's prime feeding period.
    Last edited by SCR818; 11-09-2008 at 06:15 PM.

gjg
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    A mountain lion was spotted right below Brown Mountain this week and pictures were taken. See: http://blog.stonehillnews.com/

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Wolf Spotted

This thread just keeps going, hmm... Ever since I read this, I've been looking over my shoulder for the cats. Never thought I would spot a wolf on the trail 3/4 mile up the Brown Mtn. It was dawn around 4:30PM. I had my head down hammering up on my SS, then I spotted the lone wolf standing in the middle of the trail staring at me about 200 feet away. I know wolves hunt and hang in packs, so I didn't wait to see the rest of its family. I was too wuss to pull my camera phone out for a pic. I turned and bailed down the mtn. I saw another rider riding up at the base, and I warned him. But he just looked at me and contiued his way up. I guess he has seen it before and was not scared as I was. I must tag along with a group on my next ride up...

gjg
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Um, was it a coyote? I'm unaware of any wolves having made their way to California.

mtbr member
    Wolves haven't been in CA since 1924. Lots of coyotes up there, though:

mtbr member
    Here are some helpful tips on how to stay safe around mountain lions:

a) always ride with riders slower than you
    b) hide bacon in someone else's camelback
    c) find a hammerhead, challenge him to a race on the climb, let him win.

mtbr member
    Umm yeah that's a coyote seen enough of em in the Brea, Carbon Canyon area. Anyway, I carry a knife in a cell phone holder attach on the front of my camelback strap. Figure try something while the cat gnaws on my head. Do you guys think a handheld taser would be more effective? Cause that would be easily accessible also if attached on the front strap. Another question if you use a taser on something and this living creature has contact with you wouldn't you feel the shock as well?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Haha.. I'm an idiot. I didn't take a good enough look, as I was scared out of my cleats. It could have been a dog and I'd still think it was a wolf. This thread is always in the back of my mind everytime I go up Brown by myself. You guys are right, it was Willy who I saw that day...

mtbr member
    Pepper spray all the way, good luck with a knife (or a pistol). If a lion gets your buddy (or whoever) you want to be able to just hose 'em both down without worrying about stabbing your buddy. Heck you could spray yourself if the cat has you by the back of the neck, which is where they go for. (to cut or break your spine quickly)
    Craig Kelly is my copilot.Product Marketing and Product Photographer

mtbr member
    You know what makes me feel safe in the woods to possibly prevent a violent encounter is I spray my tires with OC pepper spray and spray a piece of cloth and tie it around my seat post. I'm looking for a deer siren which is what is used by some in Colorado. It is a device that makes a really loud whaning sound as you drive...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirthugger
    Umm yeah that's a coyote seen enough of em in the Brea, Carbon Canyon area. Anyway, I carry a knife in a cell phone holder attach on the front of my camelback strap. Figure try something while the cat gnaws on my head. Do you guys think a handheld taser would be more effective? Cause that would be easily accessible also if attached on the front strap. Another question if you use a taser on something and this living creature has contact with you wouldn't you feel the shock as well?
    ROFLMAO!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have mounted a shotgun rack to my handlebars. I got it at Cabellas. I feel safer when I ride in these dangerous areas with my gun. I also carry a shovel so I can build a defensive position in case there are multiple lions.

mtbr member

I wonder....

I wonder if the mountain lions would go after a vegetarian? We must be plain...right?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    i saw a wild cat (it had ears with long points on the top not sure if it was mt lion) last weekend coming back down toward the saddle from ken burton entrance. it appeared to be about 30lb.

Old Enough to Know Better
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by borre13
    I wonder if the mountain lions would go after a vegetarian? We must be plain...right?
    Deer are vegetarians, and mountain lions find them very tasty!

FTM
    Quote Originally Posted by danahs
    i saw a wild cat (it had ears with long points on the top not sure if it was mt lion) last weekend coming back down toward the saddle from ken burton entrance. it appeared to be about 30lb.
    sounds like a bobcat, I see them every once in a while, nothing to worry about.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    THURSDAY NIGHT 1/29/09
    PMBC Presents
    NITERIDER - DEMO NITE
    Brown Mountain

JPL Parking Lot
    Meet at 6pm
    Bring ID for Lite Demo
    LED and HID Systems to Demo
    [COLOR="Black"]HARDMTNBIKER on Instagram

Seven Sola SLX ENVE MTN SS
    Sir9 Carbon Niner SS
    #1gearallyear #Iridemtn

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I've had a stare down with a mountain lion once with just a knife and holding my bike between me and him/her, and I felt real stupid for not having a firearm on me screaming and yelling throwing rocks, acting like a monkey. If guns aren't your thing, then at least carry pepper spray to use first then the knife if it comes to that. And not a short little folding blade either, a medium size blade, about 4 inches. A mountain lion is a lot thicker and tougher than a human to penetrate. This one was actually stalking me following me back up the trail on Cow canyon road in Mt. Baldy area about ten years ago.

I've seen some characters up on the trails that give me just as much reason to carry serious personal protection as mountain lions or bears. When you mix alcohol, 4x4's, and guns there's no telling how people will behave.

wanna dance?
    Quote Originally Posted by EMrider
    Unless the relocation distance is very large, this is the cycle that follows. I've seen the same thing with bears.

I'm an advocate of killing predators when they get too close to population areas or people.
    They get too close to population areas or people? How about when a population area or people get too close to it? If humans aren't smart enough to avoid their predators, they deserve to die. It's natures way, and how every living thing has worked on this planet for millions of years. If you're so dumb you build your city in lion country, and dumber yet that you recreate in known lions feeding ground, well, you deserve to get what you've got coming.

Quote Originally Posted by EMrider
    Human life is more important than any animal.
    I'm not sure on what criteria, you base this on, so let's see...

There are now seven billion humans around, so the pressure is off to propagate the species. Even our species highly defective individuals are reproducing, whereas Lions are still try to recover their numbers, making each healthy individual a bit more critical. But lets look at how lions fit in to the ecosystem, and how humans do. Oh my. Here we find that one life of a lion is indeed more important to the continuation of a functioning ecosystem than a human one, as a lion lives an ecologically constructive, purposeful life, and humans have chosen to live generating a destructive net result. At that point, you'd have an easier time making a case that lions should eat more people, not less. So perhaps you meant more important to you personally. You know all seven billion people, and it's very important to you that they do not get eaten by lions. You don't know them? Well, perhaps you just like knowing that they're there. But then, a thousand more people are getting killed every day in traffic accidents and lack of medical care, so do you rally against cars and the health care system? Unsafe factories, or our nations military forces? Or perhaps it's just the same basic emotional sense of survival at any cost that has led us to our overpopulation problem and all the health and environmental problems it brings. Hm.

I ride with a Colt .45. Not that I'd expect to be able to reach it in time. Typically, unless you come upon them quick & startle them, when a Mt Lion attacks, it's silent and from behind, & instantly deadly.

At any rate, if I got the chance to earn one of these tombstones:

"killed fighting a ferocious lion in the wild from the seat of his bicycle"
    or
    "died of eventual decay a drooling, senile, depressed pill-popper in a nursing home full of other people who no one could stand the smell of either".

I'll take my chances with the lions. In the mean time, give the lions their space. It's as simple as respect for the balance of life.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Well said HotBlack.

Binned
    Nov 2008

No Lion Today...

Went for a pre-Super Bowl grind up Brown today along with 5.5 million other riders.

No cat out there today.

I have heard that it's been seen around Earl lately though.

Kitty on the move....

Over 50, & not '2' tired
    Holy crap this is scary! Tomorrow was going to be my very first time in this area; El Prieto Canyon Trail to be specific. But now I'm having second thoughts with all the lion and bear sightings! I usually ride alone...on a mountain UNICYCLE! Isn't El Prieto Canyon Trail pretty well traveled by hikers/bikers in the weekends to make it relatively safe?

I can see maybe going alone on a weekday when there's not many other people there, but there are mtn lions and bears spotted on weekends when it really crowded??? I mean WTF!??
    www.unigeezer.com
    "Over 50, and not '2' Tired!"

FTM
    your more likely to be killed on your way to the trail unless a unicycle has some magical lion magnet qualities.

I ride El P regularly by myself on weekday mornings and sometimes after dark, never saw a Mtn Lion. I see rattlesnakes every once in a while and once saw a bear on the fire road near Millard. I've had many more close calls by drivers riding to the trail than anything I would meet on the trail, besides, the sighting was almost a year ago.

calm down and have fun.

Lindsay

cougar jpl.jpg

that kitty looks so cute...meow. meow.meow...plsss don't eat me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    HERE In my area the VERDUGO,s about 10 miles away from JPL,BROWN mtn. EL PRIETO ect. we just had a POSTING put up warning of sightings in the area. I herd from one of the local hikers also hill resident that a Mountain Lion came low on the hill and took down a deer. I am glad to see a good size deer populatin in this area as I see them often. I have been biking for 25 years and never remember ever worrying about the WILDLIFE> I actually look forward to seeing SNAKES,TRANTULAS, SCORPION,LIZARDS,MOUNTAIN LIONS,BOBCATS,COYOTES,DEER,BEARS,ECT and these ones I do like to see..... I am a FREERIDER and the riding i do scares me alot more believe it or not this is just me I have friend who work at the ZOO and have been around ALOT of wild things to me ...

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Lately I see a lot of deer on Brown Mtn and still plenty of snakes, rabbits and lizards. I do carry pepper spray on the belt of my Dakine pack and don't use an iPod. Being outdoors with the wildlife is part of the adventure and Brown/El P gets so much traffic now that you won't be alone.
    [COLOR="Black"]HARDMTNBIKER on Instagram

Seven Sola SLX ENVE MTN SS
    Sir9 Carbon Niner SS
    #1gearallyear #Iridemtn

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Spokes69
    I've had a stare down with a mountain lion once with just a knife and holding my bike between me and him/her, and I felt real stupid for not having a firearm on me screaming and yelling throwing rocks, acting like a monkey.
    Not a good idea. Mountain lions and monkeys are natural enemies.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Around a 100 years ago there used to be grizzly bears in the same mountains you're seeing the mountain lions in. And a lot of the trails we all ride were created so hunters could go and kill them. Please realize that you are in there backyard and don't bring too much attention to this.

mtbr member
    you guys see this:

http://www.glendalenewspress.com/art...lion081809.txt

this was 6 days ago
    "a well ridden rock, gathers no moss"

Members who have read this thread: 0