Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Mountain Lion @ Daley Ranch

On 4-27-06 during a solo ride I encountered a mountain lion while descending on the upper part of Hidden Springs trail. Scared the crap out of me!! I came around a curve and there it was in the middle of the trail. It wasn't a huge one but it wasn't small either maybe about 45lbs. I stopped when I saw it about 50 yards away, it stared at me for about 5 seconds and then took off into the brush. After riding for 13 years, this was a first for me and hopefully a last.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    ohhh mahn. I ride there at least twice a week. We're suppose to go tomorrow too........

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx

I remember about 6 years ago

I went out there for a ride and saw the main trail to the right as you leave the parking lot was taped off. There was a sign saying something about a Mt. Lion. Oddly enough, the paved road to the left was open as was Boulder Loop and all connecting trails on that side of the park.

I spoke briefly with a ranger and they said that they knew about that cat for some time but he apparenlty got a little too curious and was checking out some peeps so they decided to tape off a portion of the park and see what it'd do.

I just thought to myself "what, if we stay on our side of the tape the kitty will stay on his?"

They're out there. Just becuase we may never have seen one doesn't mean they haven't seen us.

YR

swoosh!
    Mar 2006
    Best tip, don't ride alone.

Does anyone know how fast mt. lions can run? Just wondering if i could foolishly outrun one.
    Crawling uphill is a skill!

mtbr member

Small tidbits

Quote Originally Posted by silentak1
    Best tip, don't ride alone.

Does anyone know how fast mt. lions can run? Just wondering if i could foolishly outrun one.
    Not the info. Us.

Here is the info you want.
    They are built for speed, not endurance, reaching speeds of 40 mph in less than 50 feet. The backbone is very flexible, allowing it to make vertical leaps of 15 feet and horizontal leaps of 45 feet.

Negative Rep Points!!!!

Kill it!

Right on! Someone, hurry up and alert the authorities so they can kill it!

The media will be most appreciative!
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic
    Right on! Someone, hurry up and alert the authorities so they can kill it!

The media will be most appreciative!
    "Tee Hee!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 05-06-2006 at 12:07 AM.

swoosh!
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by noslogan
    Not the info. Us.

Here is the info you want.
    They are built for speed, not endurance, reaching speeds of 40 mph in less than 50 feet. The backbone is very flexible, allowing it to make vertical leaps of 15 feet and horizontal leaps of 45 feet.

0-40mph in 50ft???? I'll start practicing my shouting and bike lifting right now!
    Crawling uphill is a skill!

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by scstough
    On 4-27-06 during a solo ride I encountered a mountain lion while descending on the upper part of Hidden Springs trail. Scared the crap out of me!! I came around a curve and there it was in the middle of the trail. It wasn't a huge one but it wasn't small either maybe about 45lbs. I stopped when I saw it about 50 yards away, it stared at me for about 5 seconds and then took off into the brush. After riding for 13 years, this was a first for me and hopefully a last.
    45lbs? There is nothing on this earth that weighs 45lbs that's gonna take me in a fight for my life.

mtbr member
    I was out there solo two Saturdays ago and noticed some smaller lion tracks on Hidden Springs. Needless to say I didn't hang around. I was climbing; I guess next time I'll reverse it and descend through there.

Although I guess it could be anywhere in there.

used to be uno-speedo....
    Time to start carrying the Glock

mtbr member
    What can you carry to defend yourself besides a gun? Pepper spray? Knife? What's best?

right behind ya

best defense is a good offense

Quote Originally Posted by West Side Rider
    What can you carry to defend yourself besides a gun? Pepper spray? Knife? What's best?
    A rider slower than you
    hard line, hard line, hard line after hard line

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    Sounds pretty small to me...a whole lot of nothing to worry about. I've seen bigger coyotes out there.

Worse news: I know an 18-year old kid who broke his neck out there two weeks ago. He's in a halo now and it's still too early to tell if he'll need surgery. Great young man, already has academic scholarships lined up to several schools. He was still a relatively newby to the sport, but he's athletic just the same. In any event, the ruts at Daley Ranch are likely to do more damage than a little 'ole mountain lion.

mechmann_mtb

Whoa up there!

Removed at Wife's request.

hope he heals

don't get eaten.

Geritol Power
    Top of Noble 2 weeks ago we saw one chasing a deer into the brush. I think animals appear naturally in nature. Kinda like plants and rocks and dirt.

Silence and Thunder...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivet
    45lbs? There is nothing on this earth that weighs 45lbs that's gonna take me in a fight for my life.

...yeah....that's what the 180lb mule deer said too.....
    ...every day sends future to past...

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by xjbebop
    ...yeah....that's what the 180lb mule deer said too.....
    If you think a prey animals defense skills are on par with a humans you should probably be afraid of a 45lb mountain lion.

Geritol Power
    didn't they just find some MTB'ers bike, foot and a shoe last year in LA? I'm sure he was suprised that a little lion could eat his azz too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by silentak1
    Ha, don't even bother out running one. Even my 10 pound house cat out runs me when I am chasing it down for it's weekly brushing/grooming.
    Inbred. Steel is Real.

so......

Quote Originally Posted by uno-speedo
    Time to start carrying the Glock
    Since Mt. Lions attack from the rear, what good is a Glock going to do?

You'll already be on the ground before you realize what's happening. How are you even going to get a gun out to do anything with it?

YR

I thought

Quote Originally Posted by Duzitall
    I think animals appear naturally in nature..
    that this is why we had zoos.........keep them out of their natural environment so we can enjoy it and put 'em all in zoos so we can say "nice kitty"

YR

mechmann_mtb
    noslogan...

the article you posted ruffles my feathers. the author's anti-bush sentiment is evident, but his rhetoric is tiring. you are obviously likening the fight or flight response of an animal to a group of religious zealots, a parrellel that i feel cannot be drawn since animals have a relatively predictable manner and live in harmony with their surroundings. the US government can and will do anything it wants because nobody can stop them. this is something that has been so since the very beginning. the American Indians can tell you this, and if their story isn't sad enough i have no idea what is. who cares about Palestine? not me. i really wish that all religions practiced mass suicide. if we could kill off all the people that are too weak/victimized/corrupted/ignorant/etc. to live at peace with their surroundings we would be WAY better off. trouble is, we killed off most of the people that lived in peace with nature a long time ago. they got in the way of the machine.

i feel a bit better now. wish i could go for a ride but i need to do my part in the machine!

mtbr member

Hope More ruffled feathers

Quote Originally Posted by mechmann_mtb
    noslogan...
    i feel a bit better now. wish i could go for a ride but i need to do my part in the machine!
    I do not have the intelectual stamina to read anything more than a mountain bike magazine or mtb website. And then the ADD kicks in. Politics and religion are a tough nut for my nut to crack.
    I truly thought the artical was about David and Goliath.:blush2: I, at least, remember that story.
    I'll try to thoroughly go over anything that I post via another website to make sure the thread remains on topic and to not enflame others.
    I did not read the artical.

Now, back to the topic. I am walking my dogs last night. 62lbs female and 75 lbs male. We come up on a 5 lbs cat. The cat arched, hissed and didn't back down. I had to pull the dogs passed the cat. The cat would have fought a good battle. And prolly scared the dogs and hurt them as well. If Bul or Ana could have gotten that cat in their mouth it would have been a goner.
    If a mountain lion and I had to go to blows, it is becuase I saw it coming.

I remember holding a cat once that scratched the h3ll outa my arm. I am still trying to figure out how its hind legs made it over its head and scratched my beak when I was facing the cat holding in my outstreched arms.
    Sorry to ruffle feathers and not realize I was doing so.
    I am glad you vented.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast